XBOX One Elite Controller Thoughts

A recent Kotaku review of the Razer Elite controller puts it into perspective:

http://kotaku.com/the-razer-wildcat-tries-really-hard-to-take-on-the-xbox-1764566911

It’s a comparison that has to be made. Microsoft released a $150 controller, Razer releases a $150 controller. Razer’s offering is expertly engineered, but Microsoft’s controller is the work of dark engineering magic. Razer’s plastic is soft and comfortable. Microsoft’s feels like being licked by a thousand tiny angels. Razer’s analog sticks are smooth and responsive. Microsoft’s sticks are downright creamy and delicious. Microsoft’s extra bits pop on and off easily thanks to the power of magnets. Razer’s removable real triggers—the only bits that come off—have to be unscrewed using a special tool.

:p

Face-Off: Microsoft Xbox Elite controller vs Razer Wildcat
Can premium-priced controllers make you a better player?

This article is a missed opportunity and it doesn't answer the question it poses. There's no objective comparisons of the impact of each controller's use in games or quantification of what makes one different from another, e.g. differences in the potentiometers of the sticks. It would also have been interesting if they'd compared the swappable controller parts against the almost-standard sensitivity options in games. E.g. is installing a short stick for great sensitivity any better than using a standard Xbox One controller and increasing the sensitivity.

Come on DF, if you're going to do articles for clicks at least make them comprehensive. :yep2:

Face-Off: Microsoft Xbox Elite controller vs Razer Wildcat
Can premium-priced controllers make you a better player?

This article is a missed opportunity and it doesn't answer the question it poses. There's no objective comparisons of the impact of each controller's use in games or quantification of what makes one different from another, e.g. differences in the potentiometers of the sticks. It would also have been interesting if they'd compared the swappable controller parts against the almost-standard sensitivity options in games. E.g. is installing a short stick for great sensitivity any better than using a standard Xbox One controller and increasing the sensitivity.

Come on DF, if you're going to do articles for clicks at least make them comprehensive. :yep2:

Well, with the elite you can use the short stick and still adjust the standard sensitivity adjustments in game and adjust the analog response curve in the controller's configuration. So, not sure what that comparison would have done.

Standard - Adjust sensitivity in game.
Elite - Adjust sensitivity in game. Choose analog stick of choice. Adjust response curve of Analog stick in application.

The Elite just makes finding the perfect setup more comprehensive if the user is willing to spend the time to do so. I imagine that if someone wanted, they could make the elite controller's analog stick response curve feel like the standard controller by using the configuration app.

It's similar in many ways to gaming mice reviews. Yes, you can go into objective details like polling rate and DPI tracking resolution etc. But comparisons are subjective and greatly dependent on what each individual user finds comfortable for them. Hence, configurability is usually king. A mouse with a configurable DPI range of 200-1200 DPI is better than one that only had a 600-1000 DPI range for example. But it's entirely possible that someone is more comfortable with a 700 DPI tracking resolution which would then make both feel "similar" with regards to DPI. Polling rate is almost always going to be better so there's something for that. And latency can also be huge.

For the Logitech Chaos mouse, it was interesting to see how they (Logitech) tested the parameters of the mouse.

So that said. What would have been interesting is if they had tested the latency of each controller compared to the standard. Even when using the exact same connect method, latency can vary greatly between devices. This can be seen with gaming mice where the best mice will have 5-20 ms less latency than a good or average gaming mouse. However, I doubt that Eurogamer has the capability to test it that accurately. But if they could have tested it as extensively as the above video did with mice, I would have been extremely impressed.

One thing I do find extremely hilarious about that face off though. They have the paddles on the bottom installed incorrectly. The 2 long paddles are correct. However, the 2 short paddles are incorrectly installed and thus can't be used without interfering with the long paddles.

Regards,
SB

Well, with the elite you can use the short stick and still adjust the standard sensitivity adjustments in game and adjust the analog response curve in the controller's configuration. So, not sure what that comparison would have done.
I'm curious about the tangible impact on control by shortening the travel distance, changing the in-game sensitivity and a combination of both compared to the stock controller. I.e. is there a genuine granularity of control that isn't possible using the standard controller.

So that said. What would have been interesting is if they had tested the latency of each controller compared to the standard. Even when using the exact same connect method, latency can vary greatly between devices. This can be seen with gaming mice where the best mice will have 5-20 ms less latency than a good or average gaming mouse.

This is almost always the software. If you use a mouse that has control software and dislike latency you may to chose between them - the software inserts itself into the I/O bus chain so under Windows the input follows this chain mouse -> USB bus -> device driver -> mouse control software -> directinput -> game. Most of these are steps are very low overhead except for the control software which depends on the software and the priority it's running. Anything tapping into the HID generally does not get a high priority under Windows.

I'm curious about the tangible impact on control by shortening the travel distance, changing the in-game sensitivity and a combination of both compared to the stock controller. I.e. is there a genuine granularity of control that isn't possible using the standard controller.

It's a quite noticeable difference. I've always had trouble doing fine grained analog movements with standard controllers. I either barely move or I'm moving full speed. Using the longer sticks and adjusting the response curve slightly (very gradual increase near center, with greatly accelerated increase near max) solves this for the most part for me. It makes things like steering a car or flying a plane far more enjoyable. I have more graduated control versus my standard veering all over the place anytime I need to turn and then spending hours (slight exaggeration) to line things up straight on a road again. By contrast if I only use in game sensitivity and reduce sensitivity, then I'm limited to very slow turns when holding analog sticks at max distance from center. Not a good compromise. With a long stick and response curve adjustment, I still have fine grained control as well as quick turns when at max from center.

The shorter stick, which I've only experimented with briefly, allows for extremely quick responses. Considering my almost, but not quite, binary use of standard analog sticks, the short sticks make it even more of a binary (on[max]/off) proposition. For me, it'd probably be really useful in games that don't take advantage of the analog response curve of analog sticks and only use them for analog direction choices. IE - you're either moving in a direction or you aren't but not how quickly you are moving in a direction.

Those are things that the sensitivity controls in game don't allow me to adjust, or at least not in the same way as changing the sticks along with the response curve. Oh and I forgot you can also adjust the analog response of the triggers as well. Somewhat important if you want to use the trigger stops and still have analog trigger control.

This gives a good idea of the configuration available.

Unfortunately, for me, I can only configure it on my Surface 3 and XBO as the Windows configuration app is restricted to Win 10. :( Otherwise, I'd have loved being able to reconfigured one of the bottom paddles to the left stick down button for jumping. I really hate having to jump by pushing down on the left stick.

[edit] Oooh, although now that I think about it. I can save 2 configurations on the controller itself. I wonder if I can set the adjustments I want on the Surface 3, and if those will still work on my Win 8.1 desktop. Will have to test later.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Kudos

https://twitter.com/XboxP3

2chtcvl.jpg

It is more than 100$ right? :confused:

It's $149 US. They sold a lot more than I thought they would.

I wish they'd announce a new revised Elite controller, this time with the bluetooth improvements from the XB One S revision.

This is apparently manufactured rather than sold - but even at sold how does this compare to other accessories? this is like a <5% conversion which I suppose it's likely what you'd expect from a premium product like this? I'm not sure :S

I do wish Sony would do somethign though

This is apparently manufactured rather than sold - but even at sold how does this compare to other accessories? this is like a <5% conversion which I suppose it's likely what you'd expect from a premium product like this? I'm not sure :S

I do wish Sony would do somethign though
It's not trivial to obtain one. You can't just walk into any store and buy them. Some stores are waiting for their next shipment, others have them, others don't.

I'm very happy with mine. There is an adjustment period to the Elite. But it's overcome through playing. I can tell if someone is BS posting the elite because their feedback runs along someone whose used the controller for a limited period of time. It's just entirely different when it's your daily controller.

It just lets you play your games better if you take the time to really care about playing better.

Adjust your stick heights, sensitivity curves, your button mapping per game. Is really helpful for games that need it.

Ie. Forza configuration is vastly different from halo configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not trivial? Any online store has them, hell I've even seen them in my local CEX. I'm just curious as to if this is 'successful' or not, I hope it is because there's a chance Sony might make one. I like that MS also has official 'mod you own' controller.

Not trivial? Any online store has them, hell I've even seen them in my local CEX. I'm just curious as to if this is 'successful' or not, I hope it is because there's a chance Sony might make one. I like that MS also has official 'mod you own' controller.
Whoops yea. It was not trivial when I got it. But it looks like the backlog is dealt with now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's very impressive to me. Even if it is total manufactured and not sales...I would imagine sales are not *that* far behind that number. Which means at some point soon they will have hit gross sales of $150 million dollars on a fucking specialty controller. And the profit margins on that things must be decent.

Probably a silver lining of Xbox division at Microsoft in terms of pure financials...

If Sony wasn't already making a DS4 pro controller that tweet certainly made it easier for them to go ahead...

It's $149 US. They sold a lot more than I thought they would.

I wish they'd announce a new revised Elite controller, this time with the bluetooth improvements from the XB One S revision.

If a product is good and a true upgrade over a cheaper product, it'll sell.

If a Bluetooth version comes out, I may buy a second one (the controller is THAT good). It'd make it easier to use with my Surface 3 when traveling. I'd still have to use the cable at home, however (or buy the RF usb stick), as Bluetooth is virtually worthless at certain times of the day here for gaming purposes.

Regards,
SB

I bought one a couple of weeks back and don't regret it. Despite spending the whole time from picking it up to making it to register going, "Who the f$&@ spends $150 for a damn console controller"!

I was set to have a serious case of buyer remorse which disappeared the moment I start using it. It exudes quality and solid construction from the start.

I switch the sticks for the longer ones and only use to shorter paddles (one on each side). I keep telling myself I'm going to change the left stick back because pushing L3 isn't as smooth of an input as I want but most games don't readily require its use.

I was skeptical about the ease of switching out parts because the use of magnets versus a snap design. Seems it would be easy for parts to fall off while playing but i haven't experienced any problems.

I may pick one up if they upgrade it with BT compatibility. I need that extra little bit of advantage on 1 vs 1 Halo fights.

Well in the team-based games, just be sure the other team has AlZilla flying Banshees...

NewEgg has a special promo going on now with the xbox elite controller, $20 off with coupon code EMCEKHE72 if you're subscriber to their promo emails. This means a price of $129 instead of $149.

I'm really pleased with NewEgg. I ordered Friday morning, selected the normal nonbudget shipping option and the new controller just arrived Today on Saturday. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but just from holding it and doing a really quick toying with the controls you can tell its a solid and extremely well built product. It feels very solid.

Saving $20 helps to take some of the sting off the sticker price.

I think they could definitely sell a metric ton more if they offered a middle ground product, with the solid feel of the elite controller but without the extra customizations and buttons, for around $90. The consumers should want them to incorporate the solid feeling and engineering into the standard controller, eventually for no additional costs.

Back