• Mobile hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Slim Revision hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • This will be a nothing burger

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • *new* Xbox Games for Mobile Strategy

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • *new* Executive leadership changes (ie: named leaders moves/exits/retires)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not looking good for hardware. Looks like Activision is driving growth. Hopefully the other studios can deliver innovations to drive growth.
read today on another forum from a guy who knows his stuff regarding videogames, that a 100% reliable source has mentioned that Microsoft is going to leave Series and stop selling it as we know it. That we are going to know more about it in the near future -next year-. He might be into something 'cos that guy knew things since many months ago....

Last edited:
Those of us that have already moved to next gen, I think many would agree it wasn’t worth the move, at least nothing notable for this generation has released that made people want to upgrade.

A next gen only version of Minecraft, Fortnite and Warzone would push the population to move. Perhaps release this around GTA or before since that also has a large population stuck on last gen. Then I suspect People will start moving.
Good point but those games will never be AAAs.

The best-selling games in the world run on the least powerful PCs, there is not a single top game, graphics wise, not one among the best-selling in the world I'm talking about some of those you mention pubg, fortnite, GTA V, minecraft, DFO, etc If you want to have a game with that level of success that is what a third-party company that aspires to be the world leader is looking for, it has to go for low-power systems or limit your sales, or plan a game 15 years ahead that is gradually becoming technologically outdated.

read today on another forum from a guy who knows his stuff regarding videogames, that a 100% reliable source has mentioned that Microsoft is going to leave Series and stop selling it as we know it. That we are going to know more about it in the near future -next year-. He might be into something 'cos that guy knew things since many months ago....
Maybe you could share the link. The signs hint to what you're saying as well. I think what you say makes sense. They can drive growth as a third party developer and leave the hw business to the OEMs. I think this is where they are trending, where if in the small chance they make new hw it will be a niche product like their surface products. In fact I recall them getting the surface hw guys to take over Xbox hw recently IIRC. But I agree I think this is where they're trending as well.

Microsoft-Annual-Revenue-Chart-FY-2024-Q2.png

Truthfully, I'm not seeing his delusion.
Marketshare is less, but the platform continues to grow in revenue, not shrink, even more so with the recent acquisitions.

Going as far back as x360 days, when people felt 360 was on top of the console industry. You've made a strong statements that the platform in decline, for some time now, and going steeper - but these graphs here, I'm having a hard time seeing it.

When hardware revenue goes away, which it will eventually, Xbox is still looking healthy. I'm okay if you want to debate the numbers, that's fine, people are okay to disagree. But calling people deluded, when the graphs look like this, is an unnecessary personal attack. I don't take an issue with your arguments, but your words. I've seen delusion, delusion is talking about hidden GPUs, things that don't actually exist. Things that break the laws of physics and pure magic. He doesn't have a deluded view of Xbox's position right now. But using those types of words to stop him from posting I have an issue with. Please refrain from the behaviour of shutting down discussion if you can't actually counter his arguments.
MS is easily one of the largest third party publishers already with their Activision acquisition. Their sustained growth has been through acquisitions and good will from their Xbox brand as macroeconomic and technology factors generally led growth. The question as always is in Finance is what is their projected cash flows for the next 3 -5 years and what will be the drivers for growth. So its fair for some to question whether they will be able to meet future growth targets in their gaming division if most of the growth for this year is coming from the recent Activision acquisition. Its also fair for some to point out(as you have) that they have in fact seen relatively consistent growth in revenues. The former has a more nuanced conservative look at the numbers the latter has a more optimistic look.

Maybe you could share the link. The signs hint to what you're saying as well. I think what you say makes sense. They can drive growth as a third party developer and leave the hw business to the OEMs. I think this is where they are trending, where if in the small chance they make new hw it will be a niche product like their surface products. In fact I recall them getting the surface hw guys to take over Xbox hw recently IIRC. But I agree I think this is where they're trending as well.
he didn't share the link, he just hinted at a guy in Japan who months ago leaked somewhere some very interesting info about Xbox and the leaks turned out to be real.

You need to link to the guy hinting, a link to the post on the forum you read.
certainly would if he shared more than what I wrote, but there is no link to confirm his claims, he just commented that. I trust the guy 'cos he mentioned the xbox strategy months ago and he got that information from that japanese source.

Despite the fact that it's just a rumour, given the precedents, he is probably right. MS has been losing money on xbox hardware for years now, and even if they are doing ok in the USA and even if they changed the marketing strategy in Japan and Europe and spend money on marketing there, imho no amount of money nor marketing would change the situation in the slightest.

Where I live the "play" -Playstation- is associated with consoles and gaming, many people just name consoles as "the play". Xbox would have to revolutionize the console market like they somewhat did with the OG Xbox and its PC like features and specially with the X360 (friends, gamertags, achievements, XBL Arcade, etc).

Where I live the "play" -Playstation- is associated with consoles and gaming, many people just name consoles as "the play".
Well in fairness, Nintendo used to be synonymous with gaming in the US and all consoles were 'Nintendos'. Sony managed to turn that around. But, different times, and Sony had game. They picked a demographic and managed to appeal and create a whole identity. MS don't really have any 'game'. They were tough and hardball with OXB, then gamers for 360, then 'not-sure-what' and now they just sort of turned up because it was expected but they don't want to be here, seems like.

Let's go in the direction of XboxPC. MS own CPU with NPU and different VGA configs for that. Development of Only PC games for this console, which are specially optimized for this CPU+NPU processor. Console/PC interface. Unified marketplace and Gamepass.

The only question is, MS releases the complete configurations with different prices, or OEMs.

Well in fairness, Nintendo used to be synonymous with gaming in the US and all consoles were 'Nintendos'. Sony managed to turn that around. But, different times, and Sony had game. They picked a demographic and managed to appeal and create a whole identity. MS don't really have any 'game'. They were tough and hardball with OXB, then gamers for 360, then 'not-sure-what' and now they just sort of turned up because it was expected but they don't want to be here, seems like.
agreed.

They hit all the boxes with the X360- In this day and age, young people don't care about graphics, but in the PS3/X360 era it was very important.

The X360 exclusives were good too.

The true key of the X360 success in my opinion was being a "revolutionary" console whose features were adopted and became a standard today -gamertags, achievements, group chats, built-in microphone, friends lists, indie games in XBL arcade...-.

As soon as PS3 started to have those things and X360 failed a bit with Kinect, things went back to normal, Xbox being second or third.

As soon as PS3 started to have those things and X360 failed a bit with Kinect, things went back to normal, Xbox being second or third.
That's not really true. Nothing impacted XB360's position, I don't think, and it kept that position relative to PS3 the whole gen. It was XBO that completely broke their momentum, just as PS3 broke Sony's. Sony managed to turn things around because they got game (in this case, great "it only does everything" marketing) but MS just fumbled about with no idea what to do about what.

It's like...
  • OXB was designed by a bunch of Yanks who drove around in huge muscle cars and wanted a gaming equivalent.
  • 360 was designed by smart business guys who looked at the market, combined a hardware strategy with a software one, employed experts and talented folk, and produced a product with pretty decent worldwide appeal.
  • XBO was designed by a consortium of Business School graduates who reasoned 100 great ideas and jumped from one to the other; something designed by the idiots on The Apprentice. As it started to flounder, all they could think about which who was going to get fired off the show, and just argued amongst themselves.
  • XBSX was designed by engineers who wanted to create a good box, commissioned by an exec who always wanted to own a restaurant but his parents forced him to Harvard, he ended up as C-Suite exec, and was told to enter the console market and do something, and he shrugged. "Great box, guys. Maybe some people will want to buy it? Whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
And now said restaurateur-wannabe has been told to make money from his division, so he phoned the Apprentice crew for what's gonna be big in the gaming world. "Hardware's out dude! AI! Streaming! Let gamers hire an AI bot to play their games for them!!"

Last edited:
That's not really true. Nothing impacted XB360's position, I don't think, and it kept that position relative to PS3 the whole gen. It was XBO that completely broke their momentum, just as PS3 broke Sony's. Sony managed to turn things around because they got game (in this case, great "it only does everything" marketing) but MS just fumbled about with no idea what to do about what.

It's like...
  • OXB was designed by a bunch of Yanks who drove around in huge muscle cars and wanted a gaming equivalent.
  • 360 was designed by smart business guys who looked at the market, combined a hardware strategy with a software one, employed experts and talented folk, and produced a product with pretty decent worldwide appeal.
  • XBO was designed by a consortium of Business School graduates who reasoned 100 great ideas and jumped from one to the other; something designed by the idiots on The Apprentice. As it started to flounder, all they could think about which who was going to get fired off the show, and just argued amongst themselves.
  • XBSX was designed by engineers who wanted to create a good box, commissioned by an exec who always wanted to own a restaurant but his parents forced him to Harvard, he ended up as C-Suite exec, and was told to enter the console market and do something, and he shrugged. "Great box, guys. Maybe some people will want to buy it? Whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
And now said restaurateur-wannabe has been told to make money from his division, so he phoned the Apprentice crew for what's gonna be big in the gaming world. "Hardware's out dude! AI! Streaming! Let gamers hire an AI bot to play their games for them!!"

Eh the original xbox would have been amazing if they stayed with AMD. We could have had an athlon cpu instead of a celeron and it was supposedly clocked higher too. But the suits at microsoft went with wintel to keep intel happy. Ultimately that lead to both intel and nvidia ripping microsoft off.

The xbox one had the issue of the kinect being a pack in. I think they would have faired much better if the xbo was priced the same as the ps4 or if they spent the extra $100 on a better apu and gdr vs ddr for the main system ram. Also sony got very lucky with the avalibilty of the ram they chose. They could have been stuck at 4gigs of ram and ultimately lost the console generation.

It's like...
Completely agree on this. I remember the Xbox was the most anticipated system because of how well the 360 had performed along with Kinect. They messed up so bad at launch, people just went and bought the PS4 with just one game KillZone. The Xbox One had a much better launch line up because of the good work done by some teams but the Business execs had told gamers to eff off and they whole heartedly did. It was that bad. Self inflicted wound.

It's like...
I completely agree on this. To add to the last point, even at hot chips the Xbox hw engineers didnt bother mentioning or hinting to the Series S it was a purely marketing business led decision to make that box. The S was imposed on them at a later date in the hopes a cheaper model would drive subscriber growth for gamepass. I remember hearing things "like they went from a 382 bit bus to 320 bit because of signalling issues" and it didnt make sense since the Xbox One didnt have any such issue. It juts sounded like they cut their budget so they could deliver the cheaper model(which turned out to be a dud). As well MS tried to push a narrative that there would be no midgen refreshes this gen because you cant bring down hw costs. Of course this was a subtle lie because Sony's releasing a PS5 pro because they've been able to bring down the costs of manufacturing the PS5 to a level that enables this approach.

But this imposed push for subscriber growth led to a Series X with interleaved memory(not too bad if the software takes care of where data ends up), undercooked low level software APIs and a Series S which doesnt have enough physical memory to meet requirements. Then they had to spend several years figuring out how to increase the amount of virtual memory in available to the Series S. They essentially ensured the PS5 will be the go to system for developers this gen. This all falls on Phil Spencer tbh and he's planning on exiting the hw market so he doesnt care anyway. Its going to get worse when the PS5 pro releases.

There's a Don Mattrick at MS waiting to unleash an AI gaming bot that plays the games for you anywhere anytime over the cloud. Just subscribe to the gaming service and play from any screen at anytime, whether you are present or not. This is what consumers want.

Where I live the "play" -Playstation- is associated with consoles and gaming, many people just name consoles as "the play". Xbox would have to revolutionize the console market like they somewhat did with the OG Xbox and its PC like features and specially with the X360 (friends, gamertags, achievements, XBL Arcade, etc).
This may seem alien to people in the us, but the situation isn't too dissimilar to "the Samsung" or "an apple" here in Europe. They are the "normal" brands and if you get anything else you got something out of the ordinary.

Now multiply this 5X with consoles. It's "the PlayStation" "the Nintendo".
You get those two brands, you got the normal brands. It's a strange social phenomenon, that maybe can't be overcome with a good product or better value.

The 360 was interesting because you could argue that Sony wasn't offering what consumers were expecting from them (low price + all the games).
Additionally, Xbox was offering viral phenomenons (halo + gears) that allowed them to get to parity in sales with playstation.

So maybe, the moment that Sony stops offering what costumers expect of them, a small opening shows up, but Sony knows this, so it's almost impossible to compete now.

Last edited:
I think they would have faired much better if the xbo was priced the same as the ps4 or if they spent the extra $100 on a better apu and gdr vs ddr for the main system ram.
I think you have your answer of how that would have played out by just looking at the current generation. Just factor out Microsoft actively marketing against the console this generation of course :). The market caters to Sony in regards to high end hardware, and Sony invests a lot in marketing efforts (exclusives, timed exclusives, sony console only content, etc) to keep it that way. Anything different on Xbox hardware is either actively marketed away by "an extended marketing team", or is a slight enhancement if it just happens to be a faster part of the already Sony lead development path.

That's why Microsoft just needs to make a straightforward PC configuration for both hw and sw, and put that in a box for one low price. Such a box is automatically catered to. But I digress.

One year after xbo launched I posted on this forum that the short sighted onslaught against Xbox One would just accelerate Microsoft to abandon HW. I posted that Xbox would just become an app to mitigate all the "feedback", so things won't end like people think it will by constantly lambasting Microsoft to make resolution/framerate boxes. A mod at the time had a massive Microsoft axe to grind, especially when I said anything positive, so who knows if it survived. But anyway... here we are.

Also sony got very lucky with the avalibilty of the ram they chose. They could have been stuck at 4gigs of ram and ultimately lost the console generation.
I'm not so sure since again developers cater to Sony. Developers would have just used the extra ram on Xbox in that case as a buffer for the disc drive, just like they did with X1X, X360 and now even XS|X (since apparently there's more ram available on the series x).

Also, the albatross that is XSS isn't so different from XSX to the average consumer. So any missing features in a 4gig PS4 scenario could have been easily marketed away. But again, the market caters to Sony hw. It's a perk of being the market leader.

I think you have your answer of how that would have played out by just looking at the current generation. Just factor out Microsoft actively marketing against the console this generation of course :). The market caters to Sony in regards to high end hardware, and Sony invests a lot in marketing efforts (exclusives, timed exclusives, sony console only content, etc) to keep it that way. Anything different on Xbox hardware is either actively marketed away by "an extended marketing team", or is a slight enhancement if it just happens to be a faster part of the already Sony lead development path.

Oh I don't know about that. The ps4 had a slight edge graphics wise that ended up benefiting them greatly last gen. So how would a xbox one that was more powerful than the ps4 have faired ? Remember you'd be coming off the xbox 360 not the xbox one.
That's why Microsoft just needs to make a straightforward PC configuration for both hw and sw, and put that in a box for one low price. Such a box is automatically catered to. But I digress.

One year after xbo launched I posted on this forum that the short sighted onslaught against Xbox One would just accelerate Microsoft to abandon HW. I posted that Xbox would just become an app to mitigate all the "feedback", so things won't end like people think it will by constantly lambasting Microsoft to make resolution/framerate boxes. A mod at the time had a massive Microsoft axe to grind, especially when I said anything positive, so who knows if it survived. But anyway... here we are.

I'm not so sure since again developers cater to Sony. Developers would have just used the extra ram on Xbox in that case as a buffer for the disc drive, just like they did with X1X, X360 and now even XS|X (since apparently there's more ram available on the series x).

Also, the albatross that is XSS isn't so different from XSX to the average consumer. So any missing features in a 4gig PS4 scenario could have been easily marketed away. But again, the market caters to Sony hw. It's a perk of being the market leader.
we will have to see what happens. IF ms really thinks cloud is the future they are going to keep making hardware so it makes little sense not to release it

Also sony got very lucky with the avalibilty of the ram they chose. They could have been stuck at 4gigs of ram and ultimately lost the console generation.
Sony didnt get lucky, they looked at developer needs/feedback and included not just 8GB of ram but GDDR5 instead of their original 4GB plan. Xbox on the other hand went with 8GB of DDR memory which was such a terrible decision I'm almost certain it was driven by pressure to include the Kinect in the box. Because Sony had to give up bundling the PS cam in order to get the 8GB of GDDR5. While Xbox hw engineers had to make similar sacrifices to fulfill Don Mattricks dream of a home entertainment system.

Let's go in the direction of XboxPC. MS own CPU with NPU and different VGA configs for that. Development of Only PC games for this console, which are specially optimized for this CPU+NPU processor. Console/PC interface. Unified marketplace and Gamepass.

The only question is, MS releases the complete configurations with different prices, or OEMs.

It'd be an MS thing straighthrough, basically "Xbox Surface". The OEM standards thing pretty much never works out (see Steam Machine) and even MS knows this. Yes I just contracted straight through, English needs a contraction of that concept what're you gonna do about it?

And thinking about it as "Xbox Surface" suddenly makes it "click" as an entirely likely concept for me. Surface makes some money, Surface isn't for gaming, the Xbox brand is valuable, the Steamdeck and Rog Ally are both successful. So "Xbox Surface" seems a natural progression.

The 2 obvious SKUs are the Steamdeck/ROG Ally handheld competitor and mini desktop. Is there anything else that might happen? Xbox Laptop doesn't seem impossible, but doesn't sound right to me.

Back