XBOX addon 50.00

Sxotty

Legend
So I just bought one. I figured what the hell. Get 5-6 movies free put them onto my HTPC and then I have 5-6 legitimate HD movies for a grand total of $53 w/ tax. I can handle that.

And as I said before if you can get combo discs for $10.00 ish then you are sitting pretty IMO.

The 5 free movie thing goes away in two days btw.

five movies is nice even on a dead format. not being able to choose which five movies is not. It's sold out on Amazon.com so meh I guess the decision is made for me I'm not buying it anywhere else where I have to pay taxes/shipping.

Just to add to this as I was not aware before.

I comes with a remote as well so you can use it with your HTPC (though you may need an IR receiver). To me this is really awesome I have a remote wonder now, but I have had all kinds of issues making it work well with media center, though it is ok as of now, it would be better I think to have the one remote.

I am pretty excited about this for my htpc right now. Hopefully the IR receiver I got with Hauppauge will work with it though.

$20 for the remote, $30 for the drive? :p

The Canadian Best Buy online store listing hasn't been updated yet. :(

Nah, for that you'll need a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver.

Thanks for the info. I figured since they sell it for XBOX and say it works with PC as well there had to be some way to get it to work. So does it work to control a PC or only if you happen to have an XBOX to tell the PC what to do? I ask b/c now that I looked more closely I wasn't sure and Googling for ehome transceiver did not produce much relevant info.

Frankly this is a pretty damn good deal just as an external drive. Let alone you get the remote and the free movies. Thinking about picking one up tomorrow for my PC, add in the HD movies ripped the computer and good to go.

Nah, your Xbox can't tell your PC what to do. I was just saying that you need MS's IR receiver to use their remotes to control WMC on your PC. It is the thing on the right in the pic on this page:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...17-7900&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&CMP=OTC-GOOGLEBASE

Kyle, people have said that the XBOX universal remote operates on a different frequency than the regular media center remote so they are not interchangeable. I read that you can use a Media center remote (like you linked) to control the XBOX 360, but not the other way around.

Though this link seems to imply you are correct and you can use either one...

Oh well I will just wait till I get it. Doesn't seem much use to me though as you have to buy a MCE remote to get MS IR receiver :) A catch 22.

I read that you can use a Media center remote (like you linked) to control the XBOX 360, but not the other way around.
Yeah, my bad. I've got the 360 remote which came with the launch units, but I guess I just took Microsoft's claim for granted without ever trying until now. I'm guessing the webpage you linked made the same mistake.

Yeah, my bad. I've got the 360 remote which came with the launch units, but I guess I just took Microsoft's claim for granted without ever trying until now. I'm guessing the webpage you linked made the same mistake.

I got the drive today, works fine on KingKong which was included.

After looking into it more you definitely can use the remote with an IR receiver, but it seems you have to have the MCEr plugin and perhaps Girder though. I'll update this if I ever figure out how to do it.

Edit: Actually after watching more of it last night King Kong skips some, AVIVO is not working for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well to bump an old thread I just got my movies and guess what?

I got a note that said
Unfortunately, one or more of the movies you have selected was no longer available. We have replaced all unavailable selections with other HD DVD titles, which we hope you will enjoy as well

That is bogus. I wonder if it was in the fine print.

Supposed to get
Code:
1) The Italian Job
2) Pitch Black
3) Full Metal JAcket
4) The Frighteners
5) Dark Man

Got

Code:
1) The Italian Job
2) Blood Diamond
3) Billy Madison (WTF)
4) Children of Men
5) Smokin Aces

I didn't really care that much, but I want Pitch Black, FMJ, and DM.

Didn't care about the italian job, dont like smokin aces that much. And Billy madison seems random. The good news though is 2 are combo discs. In addition I have received

The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
King Kong
for free from other sources. So I got

9 movies for free with it :)

Not all bad.

Oh and HTPC works fine on em now, burning to HDD works fine as well, but obviously it takes a huge amount of space. My display is worthless though so HD does nothing for me really.

edit:
Part of the reason it is annoying is the new films are obviously on Bluray or will be shortly, I don't know when darkman will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back