Linux is a pile of shit

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by tongue_of_colicab, Jan 29, 2018.

1. tuna

Veteran

Then do not use it. You have paid nothing and you have the right to expect nothing. And why do you think anyone would help you when your attitude when you get help (in form of software) is to complain and insult the people who gave you help (the developers of said software)? If I ran a consulting business I would charge you double because you seem extremely irritating to work with.

2. zed

zed
    Veteran

I think I have found the problem

headless server = a server without a terminal/monitor device connected to it

So you are trying to change the resolution of something that does not exist

hmmmm I wonder what the issue could be :lol:

tuna and Gubbi like this.
  3. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

The fact that you keep talking about consultants pretty much says it all. What kind of job did shittydev do if it requires a goddamn consultant to do something simple as change the resolution. That is basic functionality. It shouldn't require any skill.

4. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Linux, obviously. Just because there isn't a monitor connected doesn't mean you wouldn't want to connect to the TTY that would show up if you did connect a monitor. Think about applications such as VNC. Windows for example doesn't care about this. Yank out your monitor and Windows will gladly allow you to set whatever resolution you want if you connect with VNC because why not. But Linux is a whining little bitch that for whatever reason just has to make life difficult because its whole display server is screwed up and incapable of just allowing users to set a simple resolution instead of defaulting to 640x480.

5. cjo

cjo
    Regular

Have you tried this? http://bfy.tw/NyBq

Gubbi likes this.
  6. Gubbi

Veteran

It's not headless if it has a head (monitor). If it was headless you'd just ssh to it
    If the server has a head (monitor), it is not headless. Use ssh to connect to the server.

Assuming the server is b0rked and you have to connect a monitor to work on it, do that and get sshd running, then connect using ssh.

If you really have to do extensive work on the machine in the TTY and can't live with 80x25, change VGA resolution, it takes all of five minutes on google (cjo helped you already).

Why do you have to do this? You clearly lack the qualifications. This entire thread is you bitching about your own incompetence.

Cheers

7. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Except changing the resolution in grub doesn't work, I already tried that. It breaks software that connects to tty1 when no monitor is connected.

Yeah sure blame the user. I might be an idiot but that doesn't make Linux any less shit. An OS should help the user get shit done, not make its users spend years of trial and error just to get mundane everyday crap working. 2019 for fuck sake, software should be designed with at least some usability in mind.

8. manux

Veteran Regular

Figure out machine installation via pxe boot&chef/salt/puppet. Better yet bring services in via docker. Never spent another day manually configuring machines once automation scripts are done.

BRiT likes this.
  9. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

That has nothing to do with problem at hand.

10. Davros

Legend

Some news relevant to us gamers

A post on BetaNews says Canonical is backtracking on their plans to scrap 32-bit support in Ubuntu. It seems this would mean Valve will be able to continue to support this Linux distro in Steam. Word is:
    Thanks to the huge amount of feedback this weekend from gamers, Ubuntu Studio, and the WINE community, we will change our plan and build selected 32-bit i386 packages for Ubuntu 19.10 and 20.04 LTS.
    We will put in place a community process to determine which 32-bit packages are needed to support legacy software, and can add to that list post-release if we miss something that is needed.

https://betanews.com/2019/06/24/canonical-backpedal-ubuntu-linux/

11. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

There's very slanted reports on what actually happened and kneejerk reactions from Valve without understanding what Canonical had said. They never said they were removing or scrapping 32bit support.

But you know, let the factually bankrupt sensationalist headlines and fanatic responses capture all the attention.