XBox 360's lackluster launch in Japan: The potential Impacts

Powderkeg said:
The plan is for the 360 to last 6 years. That was part of the point of the early launch. MS can go until 2011 off the 360, maybe even 2012.

Witht the PS3 not launching until 2006, 2011 would put the 360 at a 6 year lifespan and the PS3 at only 5. In 2011 Sony would either have to launch a new console at a shorter than planned lifecycle, or be behind MS yet again. It also gives MS a longer window in which they can earn money off the 360 once it becomes profitable for them before supplying a replacement.
So with this line of thinking, an early launch is great no matter which way you look at it?

Sony kept the PSOne alive for 10-years (and vibrant for at least 7), PS2 looks set for at least that. I don't think Sony has much to worry about keeping the PS3 alive. They've already said its a 10 year product. There will be no premature dumping ala Xbox.

I think you have to look at the situation as it stands now, Sony is going to launch the PS3 and have not abandoned the PS2, in fact, its got great support still from all parties.

I think MS will be wanting to do the same, making it more than only a 6-year product. They've probably learnt a lesson with dumping the Xbox support early.

Powderkeg said:
Sony would either have to launch a new console at a shorter than planned lifecycle, or be behind MS yet again.
You assume, of course, that being behind MS is somehow a disadvantage of some sort.

That remains very much to be proven...

*Edit:
Welcome to the realm of green rep. :D

Back