Xbox 360 Preview now rolling out

It shows up as another device choice similar to the Hard Drive or Memory Unit, from what the rest of the net says...

What I want from Cloud Saves, and I'm not talking specifically about the new dash here as I haven't looked into it, is an auto-sync for my saves... either for all save games on my Xbox or at the very least 'tagged' games.

What I don't want is to have to manually copy saves to the cloud every time I want to play on another Xbox. And if that's what I'll have to do, then in reality it's not much better than copying saves to a thumb drive.

What I want from Cloud Saves, and I'm not talking specifically about the new dash here as I haven't looked into it, is an auto-sync for my saves... either for all save games on my Xbox or at the very least 'tagged' games.

What I don't want is to have to manually copy saves to the cloud every time I want to play on another Xbox. And if that's what I'll have to do, then in reality it's not much better than copying saves to a thumb drive.
If you signed in to another Xbox I'd assume it would just access your save files in the cloud automatically. If what BRiT said is right, there would be no syncing going on - just like save files stored on your flash drive don't sync with the hard disk. Unless Microsoft has set up local storage for save files stored in the cloud so you can access them offline.

Has nothing to do with XNA that I know of. This is just like previous dashboard overhauls. Interface updates & new added features.

See this link for specifics...

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/09/xbox-live-fall-dashboard-preview-from-nonsense-to-metro/

Tommy McClain

Most of the stuff I was expecting. Metro interface and tighter and more broad Kinect support.

And BING support, yay. I've beein using BING so much lately that I rarely ever go to Google anymore. But does that mean being able to access stuff on the internet? Or just BING used to search the contents of things already accessible on X360?

Regards,
SB

Bing is only for searching your libraries, the Marketplace & apps like Netflix, ESPN, etc.

There had been a browser rumor, but that hasn't panned out. Don't see it happening until the 720 is out.

Tommy McClain

Bummer. I wonder if they'll at least have more integration with some of the video accumulation sites out there (like YouTube). I also saw Comcast mentioned. I wonder if Comcast will allow the X360 to operate like a digital cable box so I don't have to rent one from them if I ever get cable again.

Regards,
SB

YouTube was announced as one of the new services coming. Haven't heard if it's included in the preview or not. Hope to finally install it tonight. Know nothing about Comcast. I have Cox Cable at home, so I haven't really cared about keeping up with the other cable services.

Tommy McClain

Has nothing to do with XNA that I know of. This is just like previous dashboard overhauls. Interface updates & new added features.
sorry, wrong acronym! NXE (new xbox experience). Or something like that. Yeah, dashboard update.

sorry, wrong acronym! NXE (new xbox experience). Or something like that. Yeah, dashboard update.

That makes a lot more sense now. ;) It's more than a NXE refresh. I would say last year's update was more of a refresh to the original 2008 fall update. The 2011 fall update is more like "New NXE" or NXE2. LOL

Tommy McClain

YouTube was announced as one of the new services coming.

Was hoping that games would be able to use this to upload their own game recordings directly from console (ala certain PS3 titles). Makes sense to do for any game with replay (Halo series >_> ). then again, I suppose Bungie makes money (if not break even) off their current setup with Bungie.net. hm... :s

In one of the recent majornelson podcasts, e said (in regards to all the questions about cloud saves), 'you should be pleasantly surprised'.

In one of the recent majornelson podcasts, larry said he played with the 360 web browser in the lab and it was crap. Then he spent the next few minutes saying that the team wasn't crap, but that there's only so much you can do with existing hardware.

There was a 360 web browser planned?

Explanation sounds like a copout, iPad 1 with 256 RAM and less grunt than 360 browses fine.

Explanation sounds like a copout, iPad 1 with 256 RAM and less grunt than 360 browses fine.

Why do you think RAM is the problem? He mentioned using it in the lab, which can only mean kinect, so that versus a touch pad would be a rather different situation.

For new games simply choose Cloud as your save device. If you already have a save then you will need to move that to the cloud (assuming you can) and then from there you can always use that location. When you are on a different device you'll choose cloud and continue from your save point. The cloud is certainly easier from a "going forward" perspective than from a "what about my prior saves" perspective though after your initial pain of moving saves you should be good from then on. This is what I pieced together from GAF since I STILL have no display...(I'm about a second away from clicking "Next Day Delivery for $3.99" on Amazon for a new projector).

I don't know if over the years it was taken away or blocked but there used to be a tweak you could do to Media Center where you could launch IE "on" the 360. Naturally you needed an MCE version of Windows.

Back