XBox 360 HDTV options

Windfire

Regular
Okay, I'm going to be getting a 360.

Has anyone thought about what you'll be getting regarding HDTV?

Options I'm considering:
1 - Tube based HDTV. I'm currently thinking about a 26-30" tube based HDTV. You can get a 30" wide-screen tube HDTV for around $650. The negatives are size and SIZE. Otherwise, the picture is nice and burn-in is unlikely.

2 - 26-30" LCD TV. The negatives is that the native resolutions are usually limited to 720 (or 768 which sucks I would think). I would prefer 1080i capability. In additon, I'm concerned about the poor response rate on LCD TVs.

3 - Monitor. Unfortunately, wide-screen monitors are 16x10 instead of 16x9. :( Response rate and resolution works fine (ie: Dell 2405) but I'm not keen on the 16x10 aspect.

4 - Plasma, DLP, etc are too expensive.

Other thoughts?

If you aren't willing to spend a lot of money (>$1000 US) your options are very limited. I have a hard time recommending any of the lower priced options as most of these options will be disappointing in a years time.

I've got a 27" Samsung (4:3) (480p, 1080i upconverts 720p). What you HAVE to look for (if your getting PS3 or anything that messes with HDCP) is a HDCP compliant TV. Meaning, if you get a TV that ONLY has DVI, make sure its HDCP compliant (fortunatley mine is).

I got it for around $700. I wish I got the 26" WideScreen version, but I can live with this. Its pretty good quality, I have my PC connected to it and have played HD content (WMV-HD) and it looks WONDERFULL. Its probably around $500-600 at this point in time. I really recommend it.

Windfire I would say if you can wait, wait until next year. LCD sets should be coming down in price around 30% next year (well, that's the estimate), so it might be a significant savings to you if you wanted to go that route.

Other than that, best 'price to inch' ratio would probably come from a high-def projection set. Not talking DLP per se, because the increased quality of course comes at a price.

Spoiled americans, buying hdtv's for 700$ .... ;)

buy a nice and big 999$ 42inch plasma . i'm sure there are who do 720p ?
you can always sell it of in a few years and buy something better

Windfire said:
In additon, I'm concerned about the poor response rate on LCD TVs.

The new Samsungs are all 8 ms...

xbdestroya said:
Windfire I would say if you can wait, wait until next year. LCD sets should be coming down in price around 30% next year (well, that's the estimate), so it might be a significant savings to you if you wanted to go that route.

True. 6G and 7G LCD's are coming. But that way you'll be waiting forever... ;)

i'm actually really impressed by lucky goldstar recently...

i saw one of their sets ( 32LX2R i think it was) and it really did have a very good screen - better colour depth and sharpness than most of the supposed "good" brands (sony, pioneer etc) that were around it, but also cost a lot less.

i later looked up the specs and it even has an 8m/s refresh rate.... plus every connector you could ever want when i looked on the back.

i really had to prevent myself from buying one, telling myself to wait till after xmas.

8ms LCDs tend to be of the inferior 6-bit per channel variety, at least in the PC arena. Color fidelity and contrast is said to be much worse than the true 8-bit per channel panels. I personally would never sacrifice color for response speed, it's not worth it.

And Hey69... Cheap large plasma screens tend to be 480 rez only unfortunately. Or at least I have never seen a 720 plasma sold for $1000-ish.

You should also know that CRTs are very heavy. I know the sony's 30 HD CRTs are about 200lbs but they also offer the best picture for the money. An 30 inch lcd with the same clearity will cost you any were from 600 to 1000 more.

Hey man buy this 102" 1080p HDTV made by LG.:p

102incher.jpg

I picked up a 46" rear projection Hitachi CRT for about $1500 CAD and the picture quality is stunning.

If you don't mind a big heavy TV, then CRT is the way to go IMO. Cheapest, and with the best picture quality.

scooby_dooby said:
I picked up a 46" rear projection Hitachi CRT for about $1500 CAD and the picture quality is stunning.

If you don't mind a big heavy TV, then CRT is the way to go IMO. Cheapest, and with the best picture quality.

Is CRT better than DLP?

I think they have comparable IQ(they both kick ass), DLP is smaller/lighter but also more expensive.

It really depends on your tolerance for a big heavy TV, personally, I don't plan on moving for a couple years, so I would much rather save a few bucks.

scooby_dooby said:
I think they have comparable IQ(they both kick ass), DLP is smaller/lighter but also more expensive.

It really depends on your tolerance for a big heavy TV, personally, I don't plan on moving for a couple years, so I would much rather save a few bucks.

Ok cool scooby. If that's the case my next HDTV will be a 42" HDTV with HDMI 1080p DLP screen.

Remember that with DLP you have image limitations wrt viewing angles, much like normal rear projection TVs. Whatever people say, the viewing angles for rear-pro screens are awful. But if you can live with that, go for it!

Hmm, I regulary watch my TV in my gaming chair, and that's at least a 35-45degree angle and it looks fine. Marginally better when directly facing the TV.

I find vertical view angle is much more important than horizontal, i.e. it looks much better when sitting down than standing up. However there's not a lot of difference when you move side to side.

scooby_dooby said:
Hmm, I regulary watch my TV in my gaming chair, and that's at least a 35-45degree angle and it looks fine. Marginally better when directly facing the TV.

I find vertical view angle is much more important than horizontal, i.e. it looks much better when sitting down than standing up. However there's not a lot of difference when you move side to side.

Yes he vertical axis is the worst. But really, DLPs have awful viewing angles compared to everything else.

As i said, for some people it's fine, for some people it ain't. all depends on the uses really, if all you do it sit right in front of it it's fine. If not, it can become a problem.

Back