x86-64 a viable choice for Xbox2?

Also, even 32MB of embedded memory cannot compensate for lack of features. A GS32 could never produce the kind of visuals that a GF FX can - it can only push lots of cartoon-like polygons.

That GScube, did render scenes from FF movie and Antz nicely though, even though GS32 lacks features. I think you can substitute most features, by multi passing. You either go one way or the other I guess.

I think for the next iteration of GS, they would need to increase color precision, to match GF FX visuals.

Also 1 billion transistors chip, isn't too hard if most of them is spend on eDRAM. I am still wondering why, GPU maker for PC hasn't gone the eDRAM route. They could make a low end DX7 solution that's really fast using eDRAM. Considering PC developers are targeting low end machine anyway, features aren't that important, but speed are.

Also 1 billion transistors chip, isn't too hard if most of them is spend on eDRAM.

It's a little more tricky than commercial DRAMs. Aside from refresh masking, you're also dealing with arraying macros efficiently to a wide page-buffer (pixel engine array)...

They could make a low end DX7 solution that's really fast using eDRAM. Considering PC developers are targeting low end machine anyway, features aren't that important, but speed are.

They're likely still difficult for practical use. Too big for embedded controllers, and too limited for modular board use. Perhaps in a segmented memory layout on a separate board (ala XBA), but most simply prefer to rely on commodity modules (easier to apply a chip that depends on external modules to a wider array of product segments).

PC components face design constraints inherit to applications for use in PCs. Many of those constraints don't exist in console design so engineering teams have more freedom to explore different approaches (manufacturing cost is the most critical constraint)...

my question is is it possible to make some kind of a geometry/physics processor on the GPU itself that would meet the needs of the system?

think what could be acomplished with GSCube's 1024 pixel pipelines, if each was a DX9 pipe. each of the 64 GS32s would totally outperform GFFX AND have all GFFX features.

Back