X-BOX Live first impressions

PiNkY

Regular
Received my european beta kit today, so far everthing i got the whole day was "server down, try again later...", hmm so much for first impressions :-?

If you have a home router with a firewall, you need to make sure the following ports are open:

UDP 88 (Kerberos)
UDP 3074 (Xbox 1)
TCP 3074 (Xbox 2)

Most home routers will already have the ports available, some might need them to be opened, depending on how paranoid the built in firewall is.

THX, will try that tomorrow (i actually called ms tech support yesterday and explicitly asked for the ports their system uses, but he had never heard of such a thing and thought i referred to physical rj45 ports)

Finally got it to work. Question to other users: Sometimes the service seems to time out quite often, I was dropped like three times in half an hour last evening playing motoGP, is that quite regular with live our did i just have bad luck. (despite the service working quite well overally, i think it is really annoying being dropped in games where you accumulate score like motogps cs-mode)

Finally got it to work. Question to other users: Sometimes the service seems to time out quite often, I was dropped like three times in half an hour last evening playing motoGP, is that quite regular with live our did i just have bad luck. (despite the service working quite well overally, i think it is really annoying being dropped in games where you accumulate score like motogps cs-mode)

I don't find drops to be too regular myself. MotoGP is probably the worst offender though. A lot can happen when 16 people are going at it. :)

BTW, I'm Canadian and all, but I feel I should appologize on behalf of those dumbasses to the south for the sake of North American integrity.

I was playing MotoGP last night, and there were these French guys on and all these retarded Spanish/Latin American guys were like, "HEY GET BACK HERE YA FRENCHIE BITCH, COME HERE SO I CAN SLAP YOU LIKE THE BITCH YOU ARE ESSAY"

Like 6 or 7 guys were doing that for 3-4 races until the Euros finally dropped. Anyhow, it made me loose faith in humanity and I know we have some French beta testers here so I figure I'd post this! [btw I think its cool that NA beta testers and EU beta testers can play against each other]

I need coffee.

If thats what American 'First Contact' is like with another nationality, I can only fear what 'First Contact' will be with extraterrestrial life :eek:

If thats what American 'First Contact' is like with another nationality, I can only fear what 'First Contact' will be with extraterrestrial life

Is there a difference for the average American? ;)

No really, i have not made that experience with american players on live so far, as i haven't during my onliest trip to the usa so far. Quite to the contrary i think them to be more open minded than most europeans.

BTW the low cross atlantic pings with live are amazing...

If thats what American 'First Contact' is like with another nationality, I can only fear what 'First Contact' will be with extraterrestrial life

Is there a difference for the average American? ;)

No really, i have not made that experience with american players on live so far, as i haven't during my onliest trip to the usa so far. Quite to the contrary i think them to be more open minded than most europeans.

BTW the low cross atlantic pings with live are amazing...

I don't know.. like back in the QWTF/EQ days, we all used to poke jabs at other nationalities, but we were all friends and it was pretty tongue in cheek. But with XBL, the voice comm makes it all the more personal, and it's pretty easy to tell the difference between all-in-fun smack talk, and plain out bigotry.

I have a feeling this was something that MS didn't anticipate.

Fortunately for me, I can appologize for said players in both French & German... ;)

<-- XBL Ambassador

Idiots are everywhere.

I play counter-strike with voicecomms. On most servers, it's just a bunch of morons. For example, you will get people who just keep screaming or saying "blah blah blah, la la la" or whatever to annoy you until you mute them.

But on clan servers, everyone is supportive and professional. Playing with voice-comm on a clan server is 10x as fun.

I suppose XBL will be the same. You will have to avoid playing with just any random person, but make friends and only play on a regular basis with those you can trust.

DemoCoder said:
Idiots are everywhere.

I play counter-strike with voicecomms. On most servers, it's just a bunch of morons. For example, you will get people who just keep screaming or saying "blah blah blah, la la la" or whatever to annoy you until you mute them.

But on clan servers, everyone is supportive and professional. Playing with voice-comm on a clan server is 10x as fun.

I suppose XBL will be the same. You will have to avoid playing with just any random person, but make friends and only play on a regular basis with those you can trust.

lol, glad to hear someone else who feels the same as me about CS's voicechat.

its goes like this..
enter game
play, keep quiet, partners die, I win round
"@#$%ing Misfit, you suck, why didnt you save me back there, now follow me"
"@3$%ing Misfit, you need to listen to me"
new guy enters game
"yoyoyoyo PimpGangstaKilla up in da MoF@#$in Hizzy Yo, You boys best move on up outs da way and let me show you kids how its done up in here"
YOU HAVE ADDED XXXX TO IGNORE
{otherteam{with admin access}} damn it Misfit, your getting way too many headshots, nice cheats
{Me} uhm, newsflash, I'm not aiming for your feet chucko..
[Misfit was kicked by console]

Back