WOW! Inteldiots and AMDiots are on the rise

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
Threads being locked thanks to fanboiz.

When will they ever learn AMD wins the performance crown. :LOL:

I wouldn't mind either an Intel or AMD system as long as it's x86-64 compatible. The new P4 revision with 2MB L2 looks quite tasty to me.

Guden Oden said:
I wouldn't mind either an Intel or AMD system as long as it's x86-64 compatible. The new P4 revision with 2MB L2 looks quite tasty to me.

Very tasty... and very hot!

I'm actually looking at getting one of the 90nm A64s and undervolting to reduce the heat dissipation even more. Apparently some of the lower end 130nm A64s can run stock speeds at just 1.2V (instead of 1.4V) so I'm wondering if the 90nm chips can run at 1.1V or even lower!

This interest must be a sign of my age... it only seems a few years ago that I was trying to overvolt CPUs in order to overclock them. Now I'm more interested in low noise than super high speed! (albeit still with decent performance) 8)

Mariner said:
This interest must be a sign of my age... it only seems a few years ago that I was trying to overvolt CPUs in order to overclock them. Now I'm more interested in low noise than super high speed! (albeit still with decent performance) 8)
Me too :)
I am still missing my Tualatin (P3 .13u 1.13GHz 512kb). It was cool and quiet.

I am thinking about the 90nm A64 for my next upgrade.

Guden Oden said:

All the meals you can make using one of those will be very tasty. :LOL:

Why are you people so afraid of heat? 100-ish watts isn't that much. I can go to any supermarket and pick up 120W incandescent bulbs or 500W halogen bulbs. My tea perculator's 600W and my toaster 800. My vacuum cleaner motor is at 1600W.

With a modern heatsink (which will be a chunk of copper and/or aluminium at about half a kilo or more but who cares?), 100W can be cooled off without creating a huge ruckus, not to mention what can be done with watercooling.

You people are a buncha wussies! :) What counts in the end is price and performance, not how much power the chip draws. If system X gives 50.000 bogoops at 40W and system Y gives 60.000 bogoops at 105W without being significantly more expensive, I'd pick the 105W chip without the slightest hesitation.

but....but......if everyone starts thinking like that, we wouldnt have fanbois fighting around.....that would be shame. ;)

Guden Oden said:
Why are you people so afraid of heat? 100-ish watts isn't that much. I can go to any supermarket and pick up 120W incandescent bulbs or 500W halogen bulbs. My tea perculator's 600W and my toaster 800. My vacuum cleaner motor is at 1600W.

With a modern heatsink (which will be a chunk of copper and/or aluminium at about half a kilo or more but who cares?), 100W can be cooled off without creating a huge ruckus, not to mention what can be done with watercooling.

You people are a buncha wussies! :) What counts in the end is price and performance, not how much power the chip draws. If system X gives 50.000 bogoops at 40W and system Y gives 60.000 bogoops at 105W without being significantly more expensive, I'd pick the 105W chip without the slightest hesitation.

Stop being so logical all the freaking time!! Do you want every internet forum to close down?! :devilish: ;)

Guden Oden said:

What you say is correct, if you don't care about size, or noise. Try building something in the HTPC line with a 100W+ processor, it's a real challenge. Especially if you're using microATX/miniITX-sized form factors.

But, hey, I'm a wierdo, I underclock my processor.

nutball said:

I was looking into that actually. I mean, rendering Maya is slow anyway, as in SSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW, and it doesn't even take more than 20% of CPU time anyway for some very strange reason (last time i checked, could be different now).. so making it slighter slower but much less noisy would be ok for me. I only use my PC for that and Internet and Video watching anyway.
Oh yes i still have to finish HL2.. And Doom3!! AND FARCRY!!! My god i'm a disgrace to my people.

london-boy said:
nutball said:

I was looking into that actually. I mean, rendering Maya is slow anyway, as in SSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW, and it doesn't even take more than 20% of CPU time anyway for some very strange reason (last time i checked, could be different now).. so making it slighter slower but much less noisy would be ok for me. I only use my PC for that and Internet and Video watching anyway.
Oh yes i still have to finish HL2.. And Doom3!! AND FARCRY!!! My god i'm a disgrace to my people.

That's why I'm looking to get a 90nm Athlon64 and undervolt it! It seems that it's possible to undervolt these chips (reducing heat dissipation a fair bit) yet still run them at stock speeds. Less heat needs less cooling = less noise!

Mariner said:
That's why I'm looking to get a 90nm Athlon64 and undervolt it! It seems that it's possible to undervolt these chips (reducing heat dissipation a fair bit) yet still run them at stock speeds. Less heat needs less cooling = less noise!

Yeah, if I was rebuilding my main box from scratch I'd probably go with A64, as I've heard very good things about them from the low-noise brigade. For my recently completed HTPC/PVR system I ended up going with a mobile Barton (primarily for price reasons), and that ticks along very nicely at about 35-40C under load with a basically silent fan on the heatsink :)

nutball said:
Yeah, if I was rebuilding my main box from scratch I'd probably go with A64, as I've heard very good things about them from the low-noise brigade. For my recently completed HTPC/PVR system I ended up going with a mobile Barton (primarily for price reasons), and that ticks along very nicely at about 35-40C under load with a basically silent fan on the heatsink :)

I was intending to wait until the Pentium M became available for the desktop (and also became a bit cheaper!) before building a HTPC/PVR system myself. Now I think I'll probably wait a few months and see how the forthcoming Athlon64 mobiles compare with the standard desktop chips.

Should give me time to hunt out a nice case, too. My Shuttle is just too small to be practical however dinky it looks.

Mariner said:
nutball said:

I was intending to wait until the Pentium M became available for the desktop (and also became a bit cheaper!) before building a HTPC/PVR system myself. Now I think I'll probably wait a few months and see how the forthcoming Athlon64 mobiles compare with the standard desktop chips.

Aren't the Pentium M mobos :oops: :oops: :oops: expensive? Price I saw for one was like £300, and £200 or so for the CPU :oops: That was a mini-ITX mobo think (I think), so that might explain the extra £££'s.

Pentium-M looks very good and has the potential to improvments.

Think about a dothan with high bandwith/low latency onchip memory controller like the Athlon 64 8)

I will try to keep my next upgrade as cheap as possible. My wife is complaining about all these old boxes around me :)

nutball said:
What you say is correct, if you don't care about size, or noise.

Prescott coolers don't have to be noisy, there's plenty of sinks that can cool that chip without being loud. Besides, cases can be noise insulated, does wonders with fan noise in particular, as well as harddrive actuator sound.

I undervolted my 400MHz K6-III back in the day (2001 to be exact). No problem whatsoever... Too bad the mobo was a piece of monkey-doo tho, but nobody ever accused the Apollo MVP3 of being a chipset worth a damn. :)

Wonder if sticking my old GF3 in that box would enable it to run RtCW properly? :D My old 64-bit ATi Rage128 Pro starts chugging like hell in that game...

Back