World Cup 2014

follows it a list of incorrect referee decisions over the years
page 92374 of 92374
OK that was just the football world cup games :)

Today we had robben diving 3 times, I wonder what the ref is gonna be blamed for in the costa rica vs greece game

The first one was worth two penalties (two separate tackles that could have resulted in a penalty). The other two I haven't seen very well.

Referees mess this up endlessly though, to the point where people have to give them the opportunity to correct their mistakes. ;)

Yes and no. Perhaps that last one was a mix of a flop, but there was absolute physical contact on the third time. The same for the first and second times too. How many times does the Mexican defense get lucky with non-calls inside the box? If they were worth their own, they never would have let the other team into the box. This is all of Mexico's own making.

First situation - penalty, much more than all other suspicious calls
Second - no foul in the box, the defender on the ground tries to kick the ball out, potential YC for Robben's two failed diving attempts. The explanation for YC or not in this case I've heard from refs commenting is that it's very rarely a yellow because when there's contact it's hard to judge whether the player simulated or just tripped over
Third - minimal contact foul, YC for clear flopping. Hardly a penalty, especially to call it so late in the game with this score and in the knockout phase of the tournament.

On the other side: an indirect kick for an almost succedeed mavashi geri to the head.

And I agree, it was their fault for the way they played too much defensively after taking the lead. Bad subsitutes, taking out dos Santos was a mistake.

I'm reading that Robben apologized for the dive in the first half.

First situation - penalty, much more than all other suspicious calls

Second - no foul in the box, the defender on the ground tries to kick the ball out, potential YC for Robben's two failed diving attempts. The explanation for YC or not in this case I've heard from refs commenting is that it's very rarely a yellow because when there's contact it's hard to judge whether the player simulated or just tripped over

This one could have fooled me. He kept on going after the first trip and the second trip, the heel of the player actually went up when he tripped over it. May not have been on purpose, but he does seem to fall genuinely. But he's good at faking it as well, that much as clear.

Third - minimal contact foul, YC for clear flopping. Hardly a penalty, especially to call it so late in the game with this score and in the knockout phase of the tournament.

Yes, this could have been one - the player does step on his foot, and on purpose going by the eyes, so I think it's actually a penalty right there if you ask me. But he goes down in 'style' (the other leg looks like it's flopping for sure). Our commentator said though that he thought it would eventually "add-up" to a penalty already after the second one, and fortunately for the Netherlands he was right - I wouldn't have fancied our chances at penalties. :)

On the other side: an indirect kick for an almost succedeed mavashi geri to the head.

I called this a big foul when I first saw it, but having seen a few angles afterwards, I don't think there was a foul actually. The first player has his eyes purely on the ball and kicks it before the head of the other player reaches it, and the second player seems to be close to the mexican player, but actually is quite far away from him (not visible on this shot).

And I agree, it was their fault for the way they played too much defensively after taking the lead. Bad subsitutes, taking out dos Santos was a mistake.

It was a strategy that could have worked - the keeper was very confident that he would be able to hold the ball out of his net, and giving his record and skill, this could certainly have worked.

I'm reading that Robben apologized for the dive in the first half.

Haven't seen that, but he certainly has a reputation. He's been doing an absolute great job though, really is playing much better than ever. Except the corner-kicks seem not very productive - we've had so many and got so few out of them, I was starting to wonder if they shouldn't change strategy and leave him in the field.

Robben flop award of the year.
If we're going to use hyperbole then it was the stupid challenge of the year as well ... that ball was nowhere near.

HeftyTartBaldeagle.gif

A lot of players view diving/acting like this
Its against the rules to foul someone so if I'm fouled its my duty do make 100% sure the referee does notice it

If we're going to use hyperbole then it was the stupid challenge of the year as well ... that ball was nowhere near.
you might want to show the whole clip, not just the bit straight after hes kicked the ball away
robben-fouled.gif

remember this is slowed right down, it happens within ~200msec, was he a fraction of a second too late at kicking the ball? perhaps or did he deliberately try and trip him over and give the penalty to holland? perhaps

FACT is unless someone tasered robben (is their evidence for this, Mfa? or anyone) look at his right right leg going into shock at the same time as his arms, that is a deliberate fake fall

Hes admitted to diving already in the match (nice to admit it)
The 30-year-old said he did not cheat to win a decisive injury-time penalty but told Dutch TV: "In the first half I took a dive."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28089487

Like Im wanting holland (or someone who hasnt won, instead of brazil/germany/argentina etc) to win the WC but this sort of thing spoils the whole game for me.
Its a hard thing cause you dont want physical tackles so what do you do? Unless they enforce diving cheats it encourages ppl to dive more

My money's on Germany to win.
Frankly, I'd be happy with any European team winning in South America.

you might want to show the whole clip, not just the bit straight after hes kicked the ball away
robben-fouled.gif

remember this is slowed right down, it happens within ~200msec, was he a fraction of a second too late at kicking the ball? perhaps or did he deliberately try and trip him over and give the penalty to holland? perhaps

That's seriously disgusting. Wasn't that the fall/dive/foul that resulted in the penalty that secured the win? For one it's not penalty worthy because the ball was already lost at that point as he kicked it away / too far ahead... As for the foul; I think the nature of the fall was that the Mexican stood on his foot. Still not penalty worthy IMO.

Like Im wanting holland (or someone who hasnt won, instead of brazil/germany/argentina etc) to win the WC but this sort of thing spoils the whole game for me.
Its a hard thing cause you dont want physical tackles so what do you do? Unless they enforce diving cheats it encourages ppl to dive more

Nice to take it out of context. He wasn't talking about any of these.

"It's a shame because I was very honest," he said. "Maybe sometimes you are punished for honesty.
"I said there was one foul in the first half where I went to the ground because I thought he would tackle me, but he took his leg away at the last moment and I went to the ground without a touch. It was a stupid action for me, but it had no influence on the game.
"In the first half we should have had a penalty, and the one at the end was a clear foul and a penalty. That should be the end of the discussion."

I wasn't making an argument about the dive, I was making an argument of the challenge. Your angle fails to show that his right leg grazes the guys knee by the way ... both his legs got obstructed, he was never going to get on that ball again regardless if he tried to land his feet.

I thought the last bit of the US v Belgium match was very exciting. Of course that was the only bit I was able to watch but nobody scored until then.

It's hard to get used to soccer coming from basketball and football where scoring is much, much more frequent. But there are many close calls that had me jumping out of my seat, and when a goal is scored its a real rush :smile:. Wish I had a team to root for in MLS but I don't see South Carolina sponsoring a team any time before the heat death of the universe :D. There are actually no teams anywhere remotely close to me.

Also its much easier to enjoy when you have a basic understanding of the rules, which I think most Americans (including myself until ~4 years ago) don't have. Next time around the ratings will be even higher.

I don't normally watch football but it's been on roughly the same time as Wimbledon so I have watched a lot of this world cup and the thing that really stands out and makes it hard to enjoy this sport is all the diving, it is so rampant and yet no one seems to care. :oops:

* SPOILER *

I care and hate it for the very same reason. Typically I switch channel after a view minutes as it just isn't a sport with any rule (in theory, diving on purpose without cause should result in a yellow card. When do we ever see this?? Fifa should hand out yellow cards even after the match when detected in replays...this would stop the diving within a few matches!! )

Our commentator said though that he thought it would eventually "add-up" to a penalty already after the second one

Retroactive refereeing should never be a thing.

I called this a big foul when I first saw it, but having seen a few angles afterwards, I don't think there was a foul actually. The first player has his eyes purely on the ball and kicks it before the head of the other player reaches it, and the second player seems to be close to the mexican player, but actually is quite far away from him (not visible on this shot).

Two defenders going with their foot high in the box, one with studs up, it's "playing in a dangerous manner" officially. Punishable either by an indirect free kick if there wasn't a physical contact or a penalty in this case if there was. Vlaar's shoe made quite a contact (this should be a better, more zoomed in view) with Herrera's head then bouncing off of it, just milliseconds after touching the ball. Give him a yellow for an obvious risk of injury or maybe even a red for denying a goalscoring opportunity. Ref didn't have the guts to do it, likely to even out the bad calls.

Haven't seen that, but he certainly has a reputation.

There were some ridiculous dives ones like this one around 1:00. And here he seems to like throwing himself into the air, could've hurt him pretty badly.

Last edited by a moderator:
France vs. Nigeria:

Evra's bear hug - http://gfycat.com/NastyEnlightenedAlbino#
Giroud's elbowing - http://a.pomf.se/mndnmo.gif
Matuidi's tackle fracturing Onazi's leg - http://i.minus.com/ibvM7GbjjgDnsN.gif ((there was another injury earlier as well)

That's at least one red clear as day and a pen for Nigeria. :no: :(

Fanatastic goalkeepers in the last couple of matches!

As for the teams left , go Colombia, go! Send Brazilians [strike]home [/strike]out of the stadium. I predict some Neymar's stepping-on-a-landmine level of dives. Such a shame Falcao is injured.

Btw, great documentary:

Nice to take it out of context
No idea what youre talking about?
it is so rampant and yet no one seems to care.
Ppl dont care until it happens to there team and then its an major injustice :)
Football is like wrestling in a sense, if the teams are quite even its the best actors that win.

This is similar to response here for Bullshots for videogames, Personally I dont like them and offenders should be named and shamed, yet a lot of ppl here are like 'so what?'
but thats like letting punishing the teams that are honest and the teams that bullshot give them a freepass/penalty (football term :))

One big issue with the game these days, as Evra's example shows, is the ridiculous wrestling at set pieces.

If a defender does this to an attacker, the laws of the game state that it should be penalty and generally either a booking or even a red card for the defender. If the attacker does it, it should be a free-kick and a booking.

However, for some unknown reason the referees just deliberately ignore pretty much all of the examples of this, even the most egregious ones. The offences are so clear that there is no excuse for the officials to miss them so I can only assume that there is an unwritten agreement that this type of a melee should generally be ignored. This is much to the detriment of the game as it means fewer scoring opportunities occur.

It would be extremely simple to resolve this issue. All the officials need to do is penalise the offenders correctly according to the laws of the game. If this means that there are 5 penalties a game for a few months, then so be it. Defenders will soon stop the wrestling and instead attempt to defend properly if they know they are likely to concede a penalty and be booked. Attackers will stop if they receive immediate bookings.

The same goes for shirt-pulling. Should be an instant booking regardless of when/where it occurs on the pitch. If you book a player every time they pull a shirt, they will soon stop as this will mean more red cards which will cost their team.

'Simulation' is a little more difficult to decide as it doesn't take more than the slightest of trips or nudges to knock a runner over if they are going at full pelt. However, if the officials begin to correctly penalise players for apparent dives, they will certainly learn to stop launching themselves into the air then writhing around on the floor in an attempt to fool the referees. On the one hand, this might increase the amount of foul play by defenders as the craftier ones could get away with more cynical little fouls. However, this should also increase the amount of attacking play as attackers would be less likely to look for the foul by going down easily and this ought to lead to just as many chances, though perhaps less free-kicks around the edge of the box.

Back