World Cup 2014

All they have to do is treat the world cup matches as friendly matches & they should perform better :)

Of more importance is the fact that England simply aren't very good at the moment.

Our defence is, frankly, rubbish. Not one of the players in the back four is good enough for the top level of international football. In central midfield, Gerrard is past it and no longer has the running ability which made his game effective when younger and the others are either unproven (and inexperienced) or just not good enough. For the game tonight, we're starting with Lampard (who is about to retire) and Milner (a utility player, usually stuck out on the wing) as our central midfielders which says a lot about the young midfielders we have available! We've got some decent enough young attackers, but you can't win games against good teams without any defensive ability whatsoever.

Traditionally, England have always had a decent enough record in friendly matches as I think we just inherently tend to try harder than the opposition in this type of game. Unfortunately, we've been badly found out at the last couple of tournaments as we just don't have enough good players at the moment. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth about this here in England at present with the huge number of foreigners in the Premier League squeezing out young English players and taking the brunt of the blame.

In reality, our grassroots coaching structure has been inadequate for years and the Football Association, whose duty it is to run the game, have been pathetically organised so it could be some years before we get too many good young players coming through.

You can't blame the Premier League clubs for signing better and cheaper foreign players if capable young Englishmen aren't available. You can blame them for almost everything else they do, however!

I've been impressed with the high-tempo pressing and fluid counter-attacking of some of the teams in this tournament. This is what England once did, but we now attempt to emulate a more continental style - just very badly!

We're in a relatively weak group for the Euro Champs qualifiers so ought to reach the finals there - but then again, never underestimate England's ability to disappoint their fans!

For this tournament, I'd say the winners will probably come from one of the usual favourites - Brazil, Germany and Holland have looked decent so far. Possibly Chile as dark horses, however? Argentina don't look good enough, despite the huge array of talented attackers they have available.

well Italy just got robbed and bitten. I'm surprised the guy didn't turn around and beat the crap out of the biter. I know I would have.

Anyway , I bet the USA advances to the next round. Its a huge market for fifa if the world cup catches on. Us going to the second or even third round would really push the soccer movement in the usa

What a joke the world cup is from the officiating, to diving, to all the other stuff. Sad for Italy being robbed like that, though I remember them being some of the most prolific divers in the 2010 and 2006. Seems the game is evolved and over the past 8 years most of the team have upped their level of how much they dive to compete.

For those who don't want new rules or technologies employed to improve the game... if that secretly comes from some selfish agenda (maybe your favored country are prolific divers) at least think about it from your own selfish agenda... you'll have to swallow your statements.... you won't like it when your country of choice is robbed of their chance in a future world cup. Many of these lower ranking teams are getting just as good at cheating as the heavy "dive and dirty" tactics employing teams.

US for as much as people like to ra-ra-ra hate on US from what I've seen don't employ diving nearly as much as some of the other teams though some of their players certainly do to some degree.

I didn't see the Italy game (watched England's stalemate against Costa Rica), but from what I saw of brief highlights, Italy weren't exactly robbed.

Marchisio can't have any complaints about his red card and Balotelli might well have been sent off for his clumsy challenge by some referees! Just one effort on target by the Italians would indicate an ineffective performance, however.

Suarez is just nuts, especially with his past record and I reckon he'll be receiving another lengthy ban. Must have been feeling a bit peckish!

You can't really blame the referee for not seeing that nibble, however, as it isn't overly clear even with multiple replays from different camera angles.

This guy taught them both.

10433834_272654739525553_1696734729320157395_n.jpg

Traditionally, England have always had a decent enough record in friendly matches as I think we just inherently tend to try harder than the opposition in this type of game.
Naming it a friendly sounds like the result doesnt matter at all, like its some dudes kicking a ball around a park after work. So if a player scores a goal in a friendly its like 'mate thats only really worth half a goal' :)
I had a quick look at how many games the england football team play each year over the last 10 years its between 9->14 games per year, surprisingly few. I expect this is due to club football being where all the cash is. Just had a look, the english cricket team has played 124 test matches in the last decade (thus they play as many 5 days matches per year as the england football team plays 90 minutes and then you have ODIs/t20s as well)

I fancy eating italian tonight, whos with me!

Naming it a friendly sounds like the result doesnt matter at all, like its some dudes kicking a ball around a park after work. So if a player scores a goal in a friendly its like 'mate thats only really worth half a goal' :)
I had a quick look at how many games the england football team play each year over the last 10 years its between 9->14 games per year, surprisingly few. I expect this is due to club football being where all the cash is. Just had a look, the english cricket team has played 124 test matches in the last decade (thus they play as many 5 days matches per year as the england football team plays 90 minutes and then you have ODIs/t20s as well)

I fancy eating italian tonight, whos with me!

Cricket is rather different to football in that the top players are funded by the ECB. In football, players are contracted to the clubs and receive pretty much all their income from there (but for a few thousand from the FA for each England appearance). Of course, the cricketers earn a fraction of the amount that the footballers do!

Therefore, friendly matches are few and far between and the clubs really, really, (really) dislike them as it risks injuries to their assets. Undoubtedly, some players have also done all they can to avoid turning out for friendly matches as well.

Of course, it is only those cheating foreigners who would ever think of doing something as outrageous as biting an opponent (cough, Jermain Defoe, cough!). :p

Therefore, friendly matches are few and far between and the clubs really, really, (really) dislike them as it risks injuries to their assets. Undoubtedly, some players have also done all they can to avoid turning out for friendly matches as well.
Yes its just a business at the end of the day, rugby is going the same way, Theyre trying to hype up club games far more than they used to be. Apperntly where Im living now 'my' team is the hurricanes (based 250km away in wellington)

whats more exciting in football

A/ england vs germany (played maybe once every 5 years) or B/ chelsea vs man united (played 2+ times a year)
the way its marketed sometimes you think #B is

The biter should be red carded, despicable behaviour.

Having said that I'm glad Italy are out, they have almost no understanding of sportsmanship and are likely the worst offenders when it comes to diving.

The red card Italy got was easy imo, but I wouldn't have protested had Balotelli got one from this.

The guy Pereira who got hit there must be having a sore head right about now.

This was in their previous game.

whats more exciting in football

A/ england vs germany (played maybe once every 5 years) or B/ chelsea vs man united (played 2+ times a year)
the way its marketed sometimes you think #B is

This all depends on perspective. The Football Association think "A", most Chelsea and Man United fans probably think "B".

The FA is looking at ways to change the whole structure of the English game in the hope it will bring more talented young players through for the national team. However, this completely disregards the fact that pretty much nobody supports England ahead of their own team. If I really wanted to, I could watch my team (currently in the 5th tier of English football) play around 50 to 60 games a year, including all Cup and away matches. It would cost a bleeding fortune and would mean arranging my whole life around it, but there are a significant number of fans (of all clubs) willing to do this in support of their team, even at the 5th level! To watch all England games (including friendlies) would probably cost a little more but then just a handful of fans do this.

Unfortunately, the FA just isn't fit for purpose and hasn't been so for decades. Their remit isn't just about the England team, but is also about football all the way down to grassroots level yet their proposed reforms show they simply don't understand that people tend to be fans of their clubs first and foremost. They spunked £800 million on a flashy new 90,000 seat Wembley stadium a few years ago that is rarely anywhere near full. Any common sense would have saved a few hundred million by building an 80,000 seater and then investing a couple of hundred million into the grassroots coaching structure and facilities around the country. No way this would happen, however, as all the incompetent FA management sees is the glamour of the England team.

Anyway, moan over. I see that there are some really good second round ties set up already in the World Cup. Now that England have departed, at least I can now enjoy them! :D

The biter should be red carded, despicable behaviour.
He may get up to 2 years ban from it after the referees & FIFA review the situation
A statement on Fifa's website said: "Fifa can confirm that disciplinary proceedings have been opened against the player Luis Suarez of Uruguay following an apparent breach of art. 48 and/or art. 57 of the Fifa Disciplinary Code during the 2014 Fifa World Cup Brazil match Italy-Uruguay played on 24 June 2014.

"The player and/or the Uruguayan FA are invited to provide with their position and any documentary evidence they deem relevant until 25 June 2014, 5pm, Brasilia time.

I think that in such cases, perhaps the entire team should be punished (disqualified?). That ought to be a more effective deterrent.

I think that in such cases, perhaps the entire team should be punished (disqualified?). That ought to be a more effective deterrent.
That is an overreaction, this was done by an individual without any involvement of any other team members.

Even if the player had been red carded there is no way of knowing if the final score would change, any claim it would have is pure speculation.

The outcome of the match would have been the same had the bite not occurred.

Also biting is extremely rare at the professional level, an individual ban is enough to prevent this becoming more common.

More importantly, I think the governing body have a duty of care to their players. That's 3 times now (if this one is found to be thus). Three times is likely to lead to Four. They need to act to ensure players are protecting from such assaults in the future. If not they potentially leave themselves open to one hell of a lawsuit. One of these days he's gonna bite into an artery.

Permanent ban ?...compulsory mouthguard that requires a 3rd party to remove after the match ?.... would appear to be the only options to protect other players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earlier when I was watching the news they mentioned that in previous years a player that broke another players nose only received an 8 match ban.
I can only imagine him getting a slap on the wrist now(1-2 match ban), though they may do even less.

I didn't see the Italy game (watched England's stalemate against Costa Rica), but from what I saw of brief highlights, Italy weren't exactly robbed.

Marchisio can't have any complaints about his red card and Balotelli might well have been sent off for his clumsy challenge by some referees! Just one effort on target by the Italians would indicate an ineffective performance, however.

Suarez is just nuts, especially with his past record and I reckon he'll be receiving another lengthy ban. Must have been feeling a bit peckish!

You can't really blame the referee for not seeing that nibble, however, as it isn't overly clear even with multiple replays from different camera angles.

of course they were robbed , Suarez should have been red carded and throw out of the game. They would have had a man advantage until/if Marchisio got red carded and then then they wouldn't have been down a man but even.

In replays you can see the guy open his mouth as far as possible and then bite down.

This is why they need to implement some modern tech. I can understand not slowing the game down but come on , getting bitten is a bit nuts .

Suarez should be banned from fifa

That is an overreaction, this was done by an individual without any involvement of any other team members.

Even if the player had been red carded there is no way of knowing if the final score would change, any claim it would have is pure speculation.

The outcome of the match would have been the same had the bite not occurred.

Also biting is extremely rare at the professional level, an individual ban is enough to prevent this becoming more common.

Not really , the game was tied at that point. The bite should have had him red carded thus giving Italy the advantage in man power. Even if the game played out the same up till Italy's red card there would have no longer been a man advantage that lead to the goal.

Look at it this way there is no real punishment from this. So whats to stop someone from attacking another player in the final world cup game . As long as they are not caught they can hurt another player and win the game . Even right now fifa is taking evidence till the 25th of June... why , you can see it clearly in the replays .

phdzcy.gif

Here is a great camera angle of it

camerasxklu.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back