Windows Vista

What? Microsoft being seemingly incoherent and inconsistent when it comes to naming new windows _versions_? Say it ain't so! It's not like they ever done that before. Rant alert.

-first it was version numbers (1.01 through 3.11)
-Then they added sufixes: NT
-then came the years but only the last two digits, remember this was before Y2K bug :rolleyes: 95, 98
-then they added sufixes again: 98 SE
-then they went back to version numbers NT 4
-back to years except now with four digits, just to show it didn't suffer from the Y2K bug :rolleyes: (and because "00" was just plain silly - something that was obvious back in 1995 btw): 2000
-then no more years but add a sufix: ME, XP
-nah, this doesn't sound right, back to years: 2003
-that does it! No more version numbers, years or sufixes, let's confuse the heck out of everybody and simply attach another word in: Vista

Not to mention what was "workstation" became "professional" (as if implying any other editions are unprofessional), and "server" which was just another edition but then became part of the windows product name in Windows Server 2003. Or the fact that XP is actually mentioned as "version 2002" in system properties.

Best of all, throughout all of this, Office, Visual Studio, IE, etc. all mixed and matched product name/version with sufixes/years/version numbers. And I'm just getting started, who didn't laugh (with sadness really) when they saw win2000's bootscreen for the first time? "built on NT technologies" anyone?

If you ask someone who's simply uses a computer to work/play a few games which version of windows is more recent ME or XP, how can they tell? Years in the product name were bad enough when they were introduced with 95 but at least MS's explanation that it was doing away with the "exotic" version numbers to ease more people into computers was sound. But it has been ten years now, even someone who doesn't know much about computers knows that 6.0 is more recent than 5.1, and besides, MS continued to keep version numbers (IE, DX, Media Player, etc.). Complete computer neophytes, that just want to download songs to their iPod, know that iTunes 4.0 is more recent than iTunes 3.0 and thus probably better.

IMHO, Windows 2000 should have been called Windows 5.0 and just go from there. This would actually work with ME being released after 2k because ME is 4.9 which follows since it's older tech. But if they absolutely did not want version numbers then years was still the lesser evil as it still denotes progress and chronological/featureset relation between versions.

Sorry for the tangent but my anal retentive self just believes these subjects are best left to the Politics/Religion forum lest I get an ulcera.

personally i dont find confusing, and wernt really bothered by there names because most of them sounded alright, but vista, really just sounds stupid.

really is going to be hasta la vista to windows with a dumb name like that.

Monty said:
personally i dont find confusing, and wernt really bothered by there names because most of them sounded alright, but vista, really just sounds stupid.

really is going to be hasta la vista to windows with a dumb name like that.

personally, i think that biggest problem for them might be resources needed to run Longhorn/Vista. hardware needed just to run OS is really big investement.... for some offcourse....

i dont see how they plan to market it..... "Buy Vista, say Hasta to performance"?

I liked this quote from Microsoft, as found on BBC Tech News :
Executives at the firm have said Vista, which is likely to run on high-specification computers only, has been designed with security as "part of the design, not a bolt-on".
Which is basically them admitting that every Microsoft OS up until now has never been designed with security in mind.

But to meet the autumn 2006 deadline, Vista will be launched with some key components missing. Once they have been released - probably in the form of so-called service packs - the operating system will have a much-improved filing system, a new way to render graphics and much higher internet connectivity.
Can you say, "bolted on" ? :)

It will almost surely look much more interesting (or at least totally different), and it is new, so anyone will want to have it anyway.

As easy as it is like that to make another huge bunch of money for Microsoft, that's not what Vista is all about. It's about a new look, sure, but the important part for Microsoft is the all-pervasive DRM. That's why it took them so long, as new versions of Windows and Office are their main revenue.

I've been checking up on all the new features Longhorn will have over XP and it honestly might be a decent upgrade, assuming you can disable that DRM crap, through official means or otherwise.

Vista isn't particularly a good name though. I think just Windows 6.0 would have been better, or even something like Windows FX.

Diplo said:
Which is basically them admitting that every Microsoft OS up until now has never been designed with security in mind.

Actually, the original Windows NT was designed with security in mind, which makes it slow. Those "bright analysts and journalists" even critisized the Windows NT being too secure for most of people. How irony. :rolleyes:

pcchen said:
Actually, the original Windows NT was designed with security in mind, which makes it slow. Those "bright analysts and journalists" even critisized the Windows NT being too secure for most of people. How irony. :rolleyes:

having "too secure" and "M$ OS" in same sentance feels weird.... ;)

Back