Windows tablets

They need to work on making it thinner, lighter and fanless.

I disagree.

Its already as thin as your going to go while keeping a usb port which imo is mandatory for a functional tablet.

I also prefer having a fan . The surface pro 1 fan makes almost no noise and without it the thing would be way to hot to hold ( I know the fan in my original surface pro died)

It could be lighter sure its 1.76lbs so its not going to kill ya to hold , it also gets 9 hours battery life. Its also pretty thin at .36inches the air 2 is .24 inches so its not a huge difference in size.

Anyway if they put cherry trail in the same chassis as skydale something like the pro 3 , then it should remove the fan and should be much lighter since it can get away with a smaller battery

I wish we'd get more focus on GPU. Baytrail has some pretty amazing CPU performance for what it is but it is so extremely GPU limited. I've been trying to play Shadowrun Dragonfall on my Atom Z3770 tablet and it isn't bad but in some areas it does get quite overwhelmed. This is only at 1280x800 instead of 1920x1200 too. The micro 4EU GPU can barely run Unreal II smoothly at 1280x800.

So I'm looking forward to seeing more about Cherry Trail's GPU. I'd like to see something like Tegra K's level of GPU.

from perevios page, skylake 15 watt part will have gt3e so it seems intel starts to have concern in GPU performance.

thinner, lighter, fanless

i think current surface pro 3 already thin enough and fan is still needed for proper experience in long run. Burst performance is good for simple tablet stuff but when using it for PC/laptop stuff, sustainable performance will be importantr.

surface-pro-usb.jpg

its going to be hard to get thinner and keep the different ports. Maybe they can go with a usb 3.1 type c connector and sell a usb 3.1 c to a hub or something for when you need to plug multiple things in , but I don't see them going thinner and I frankly don't think there is a need to go thinner

If they want to market the Surface Pro as a viable tablet, they do have to reduce the thickness and weight.

It's simply not competitive with iPad Air and other dedicated tablets.

Anyone who's holding it for any extended period, like in bed, knows this.

Now if they want to say it's mainly a laptop that detaches for some very light tablet use, that's another matter. But since you have to pay $100 for the keyboard, you'd think tablet mode is the primary use, unless they get something close to 100% attach rate on those keyboards.

If they want to market the Surface Pro as a viable tablet, they do have to reduce the thickness and weight.

Now if they want to say it's mainly a laptop that detaches for some very light tablet use, that's another matter. But since you have to pay $100 for the keyboard, you'd think tablet mode is the primary use, unless they get something close to 100% attach rate on those keyboards.

I'm sure they'll eventually release thinner fanless models, but the thick Surface Pros aren't going anywhere. They are proving to be very well received in the professional and graphics sectors. Revenue and profits and units shipped are all up significantly for the Surface Pro line of tablets.

It is actually a viable alternative for the smaller Cintiq (the 13" version, for example). You lose some specialized functions, but gain significantly in all around capability as well as portability.

Regards,
SB

I'm still not following , the pro 3 is very thin
microsoft-surface-pro-3-vs-ipad-air-05.jpg

I don't think anyone is going to walk into a store that has these two next to each other and say oh my god that surface is way to thick .

If your talking about weight then maybe I can agree , the pro 3 is twice the weight of the air 2

I'm sure they'll eventually release thinner fanless models, but the thick Surface Pros aren't going anywhere. They are proving to be very well received in the professional and graphics sectors. Revenue and profits and units shipped are all up significantly for the Surface Pro line of tablets.

It is actually a viable alternative for the smaller Cintiq (the 13" version, for example). You lose some specialized functions, but gain significantly in all around capability as well as portability.

Regards,
SB

Hopefully with skydale they can get better performance with less power usage that will hopefully lead to a slightly smaller and lighter battery.

I'm still not following , the pro 3 is very thin
microsoft-surface-pro-3-vs-ipad-air-05.jpg

I don't think anyone is going to walk into a store that has these two next to each other and say oh my god that surface is way to thick .

If your talking about weight then maybe I can agree , the pro 3 is twice the weight of the air 2

Yes more the weight difference than the thickness.

I haven't tried the Air 2 but the iPad 3 was definitely too heavy for extended holding, especially with one hand.

Ive had quite an assortment of tablets and I prefer the 7-8" tablets for one handed reading. They are also easier to type on because they are easier to hold and reach fingers across.

The bigger tabs are certainly easier on the eyes though.

Regards,
SB

Yes more the weight difference than the thickness.

I haven't tried the Air 2 but the iPad 3 was definitely too heavy for extended holding, especially with one hand.

Yes I will agree on the weight. The ipad 3 was 1.44lbs , the surface pro 3 is 1.76 , pro 2 is 2lbs , the air 2 is 1lbs. I wouldn't expect ipad air 2 weight with the surface 4 but we could see ipad 3 weight.

Ive had quite an assortment of tablets and I prefer the 7-8" tablets for one handed reading. They are also easier to type on because they are easier to hold and reach fingers across.

The bigger tabs are certainly easier on the eyes though.

The split keyboard is really good , use it on my surface all the time
split+keyboard+SS.png

Back