Windows tablets

Who knows , its all a mess. The OEM's want to charge $700 + for atom based tablets and ivy bridge tablets that cost less to make and ivy bridge ultra books will cost $1,000 +

They are pricing themselves out of the market , they simply don't understand the market anymore. I think its a good thing that MS made their own tablet line , they should just go whole hog and make laptops and desktops also.

8043611627_1cd58eed14_o.jpg

newest verison of the chart for those interested

I'm still most interested in the Surface Pro, but would like to see them get that weight down to the IPad 3 range.

i doubt they will get it much lower in weight. It has quite a larger battery in it and i'm sure it has some type of heatsink attached to the cpu. I don't think 2lbs is a big deal though

I'm still most interested in the Surface Pro, but would like to see them get that weight down to the IPad 3 range.

Unlikely as it has a more powerful CPU and things that the iPad 3 lacks. Leading to additional weight (more components for added hardware features) and more power consumption (necessitating a larger battery).

Regards,
SB

What added hardware features?

Probably the hotter CPU alone will require bigger enclosure too. Will there be a fan?

Probably the hotter CPU alone will require bigger enclosure too. Will there be a fan?

IIRC Pro has a digitizer for pen input. It's also running an x86-based CPU instead of ARM, so you're swapping some power efficiency for the ability to run Win32 native apps.

Does the digitizer take space on the logic board or is it just integrated into the display assembly?

Hmm, if the digitizer is adding space and volume, I wonder how many users like that tradeoff, to carry a thicker and heavier device for the ability to do pixel-accurate pen input.

Does the digitizer take space on the logic board or is it just integrated into the display assembly?

Hmm, if the digitizer is adding space and volume, I wonder how many users like that tradeoff, to carry a thicker and heavier device for the ability to do pixel-accurate pen input.

I assume we probably won't know this until someone tears down the two devices and compares the component sizes.

I'd be willing to guess that the majority of the increased bulk is simply to accomodate the fact that the pro is running a beefier, hotter processor than the RT, though.

The real trade-off is bulk vs capability of the device. I hope that the Pro ends up being a compelling replacement for a laptop. At its size, it's lighter than almost any other laptop out there, so being heavier than an RT or iPad is not actually part of the equation.

For casual use, I still expect that there'll be an RT sitting on my coffee table.

In addition to the active digitizer by Wacom there is also a micro SD slot, a relatively large SSD, a magnetic strip for accessories, the kickstand, etc. Each adds a bit more weight. Some, like the magnetic strip, will weigh more than others.

And yes, the CPU as mentioned by others will likely require a HS with ventilating fan and hence a larger and heavier battery.

I'd take most of that stuff and the additional weight required. Although I'm not sure I'd need the magnetic strip.

Then again with a 16:9 aspect ratio, I'm not terribly interested. I'm going to wait to see if anyone releases a 4:3 or at least a 16:10 screen on theirs.

Regards,
SB

I'm iffy on the 16:9 thing too. I heard some PR somewhere that it was to make using the splitter functionality to run 2 apps side-by-side nicer.

That makes sense for that workflow, I guess... although in my usage of W8 to date, I've found that it's just not a workflow that I use.

What is the magnetic strip for?

It may be lighter than most laptops (and for that it may try to command Ultrabook premium pricing).

But at a certain weight, it becomes uncomfortable to hold. iPad is that way if you're lying down, okay for couches.

Could e that some thicker heavier tablets are best used placed on some surface, rather than held in your hands.

Maybe MS found that to be the case and put in the kickstand for that reason, to encourage use on a table or desk.

8043611627_1cd58eed14_o.jpg

newest verison of the chart for those interested

The Samsung Pro Slate seems really nice. I think it's Haswell version would be very nice.

I am looking for something with transformer style keyboard + stylus + REALLY good battery life + Core i5 class CPUs.

The surface's keyboard just doesn't seem useful to me.

B3D's thoughts on the matter?

Why wouldn't the surface's keyboard be useful?

And while I agree the samsung slate looks nice, $1200 is too much.

Why wouldn't the surface's keyboard be useful?
The keyboard doesn't fit robustly enough with the screen for me.

Screen's inclination with the desk/lap is fixed which guts the utility of keyboard for me.
And while I agree the samsung slate looks nice, $1200 is too much.
Wasn't the surface supposed to cost ~1000? It has more flash too.

Back