Windows Hardware Re-detection - How to??

MatiasZ

Regular
Hi everybody, this is the thing:

I need to clone lots of different computers, which have different hardware setup, but all of them need to have the same software installed (Office, Acrobat, VNC, etc) and the same updates (SP2, etc etc). What I want to do, which I know it can be done but I just don't remember how, is to prepare a disk image with all the software installed, but setting up windows so that it will redetect all the hardware on the next boot.

So, basically, I need to change something on the windows registry so that it will detect all the hardware next time it starts.

Any ideas on how this should be done?

Thanks in advance,

Matias

One way to do it would be to pop your XP CD in the drive and boot from it, then do a repair install. It would then detect all the hardware again while leaving your software intact. This is also can be done if you upgrade your computer with a new Motherboard that has a different chipset.

There also an option in some BIOS setups, ( Force ESCD (Extended System Configuration Data))where you can force the motherboard to rescan all hardware in the system, which in turn will then make windows redetect the hardware.

Hope this Helps. I'm sure there are other ways as well , but one of these will do the trick.

EDIT: Grammar

Thanks for the info... I will not make a repair install since that would implie reinstalling Service Packs and so... anyway I found www.windowsreinstall.com which does a good job gathering different info in this subject and many others... I recommend it to whoever might need info on windows installations....

Regards,

Matias

ok, i guess this thread is somewhat relevant to what i have to say

stuck here in VGASave land since gfx card bombed whilst doing some routine web surfing
a particularly nasty one too as, since i installed SP2, i have never had a monitor or display adapter show up under Device Manager although i have been able to install them [they've not been hidden either - just not there]
this has made it even harder to troubleshoot by forcing certain driver installs
anyway, wanted to do the same as you but XP doesn't have the luxury of deleting the ENUM key from the Reg so did the SafeMode+remove as many devices as possible from Device Manager before rebooting method
managed to get XP to redetect most things on the first pass
had to highlight Computer and scan for changes to eventually get the gfx card recognised
but...
Windows has been trying to install some OEM driver that uses the older NV4.sys and it WILL NOT BUDGE ON THIS DECISION
so...
i have deleted a lot of Reg entries etc.

***now here is the shocker [for me at least]***

i had also renamed some Inf files with the "old" extension
confounded as to why Windows was being such as stalwart about trying to install a particular driver with only the option of aborting back to VGASave i consulted the setupapi.log, only to find this...

WINDOWS XP IS IGNORING THE FACT THAT I HAVE RENAMED .INF FILES TO .OLD FILES AND IS FINDING WHAT IT WANTS IN THEM ANYWAY!!!!!

needless to say that what it is finding is wrong
christ! as if it isn't hard enough to troubleshoot 'Windows knows best' situations as it is

anyway, figure i'm getting close now so i'm off to try to resolve this

yep :) physically removing the offending nV and OEM Inf files from the Inf folder forced Windows into submission allowing me to decide upon a driver for myself
now i'm back to normal except i still have no Display Adapter listing under Device Manager, although i have been able to select and install a Monitor Inf

Back