Windows 11 [2021]

the need for a TPM seems to be confirmed.

Also, there is a list of supported processors. My previous computer CPU, the Ryzen 1500X (2017) wouldn't qualify, though imho it was a good CPU.

List of supported Intel processors:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

List of supported AMD processors:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

List of supported Qualcomm processors:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...rted/windows-11-supported-qualcomm-processors

There is a workaround to install Windows 11 on an unsupported machine, using a few key files from a Windows 10 ISO but effectively installing full fledged Windows 11. This guy installed W11 on a 1GB RAM machine from long ago...

Last edited:
the need for a TPM seems to be confirmed.

Also, there is a list of supported processors. My previous computer CPU, the Ryzen 1500X (2017) wouldn't qualify, though imho it was a good CPU.

List of supported Intel processors:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

List of supported AMD processors:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

List of supported Qualcomm processors:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...rted/windows-11-supported-qualcomm-processors

There is a workaround to install Windows 11 on an unsupported machine, using a few key files from a Windows 10 ISO but effectively installing full fledged Windows 11. This guy installed W11 on 1GB machine from long ago...

Nice, going to try and install W11 on a old i7 920 x58 system and see what happens someday :p That system is the longest running ive ever had i think, its still relevant for gaming in a sense when you play everything at lowest etc.

Is your primary drive partition style MBR rather than GPT? This will certainly cause the tool to report that you're incompatible. I have this issue which unfortunately means a drive wipe and re-partition. I'm in two minds whether to backup and restore or simple go for full clean build (so much work!... but kinda fun too)
I figured it out. part of the boot partition was on a second drive. I jsut reinstalled windows and everything is fine now

I might treat my self at the windows 11 launch and buy a 2TB ssd as my main install drive anyway. Then have 2 2TB sata drives and 2 1TB nvme drives

Last edited:
its a terrible time to buy a 2tb nvme ssd they cost a fortune
There are cheaper but if you want 500k+ iops your going to pay at least £200
vTciv51.png

Last edited:
its a terrible time to buy a 2tb nvme ssd they cost a fortune
There are cheaper but if you want 500k+ iops your going to pay at least £200
vTciv51.png

Na for me I would get a sata 2TB drive a 2.5inch. For an OS drive that is more than enough. I already have a 1TB nvme m.2 drive and a 1TB sata m.2 drive , my windows 10 is on a 480gig 2.5 inch ssd and I have a 2TB 2.5inch ssd.

Nice, going to try and install W11 on a old i7 920 x58 system and see what happens someday :p That system is the longest running ive ever had i think, its still relevant for gaming in a sense when you play everything at lowest etc.
did you try in the end? It would be curious to know.

In theory, any CPU from 2011 supports TPM, yet the Ryzen 1500X -my previous CPU- isn't compatible with it.

The TPM 2.0 requisite is final, imho, taking into account W11 philosophy. It is going to be launched to compete with mac/ios integration, android/chromebook integration, etc, in the mobile space.

The interface is that of a mobile phone, any info is at hand if you want to, like a mobile, the rounded borders of any window look like a mobile phone interface, also it is going to run Android apps, and gaming mobile phones costing 1000€ are going to be outperformed by it, so yeah. I guess W11 is a response to the mobile world we are in, Windows 10 works relatively well with touching screens, but not good enough compared to a mobile phone, so that's the whole focus behind Windows 11.

Mobile phones info is encrypted, while in a Windows 10 device, anyone who stole your HD can see all the contents, no problem.

did you try in the end? It would be curious to know.

Not yet, i have my 920 system in a box right now, but il give it a go whenever the time comes :p Obviously, that system wont see any or much use for anything serious, but for the fun of it, just to try and see what floats ;)

In theory, any CPU from 2011 supports TPM, yet the Ryzen 1500X -my previous CPU- isn't compatible with it.

The TPM 2.0 requisite is final, imho, taking into account W11 philosophy. It is going to be launched to compete with mac/ios integration, android/chromebook integration, etc, in the mobile space.

The interface is that of a mobile phone, any info is at hand if you want to, like a mobile, the rounded borders of any window look like a mobile phone interface, also it is going to run Android apps, and gaming mobile phones costing 1000€ are going to be outperformed by it, so yeah. I guess W11 is a response to the mobile world we are in, Windows 10 works relatively well with touching screens, but not good enough compared to a mobile phone, so that's the whole focus behind Windows 11.

Mobile phones info is encrypted, while in a Windows 10 device, anyone who stole your HD can see all the contents, no problem.

Yeah so it has alot to do with encryption as i understand. And the obvious nvme/ssd requirements aside from a modern bios (if we still can call it that).4

I really think W11/MS has made the right decision to integrate into the Android eco system (and samsung cooperation with MS) etc, its a need imo. For the first im not really liking Apple, second, strong competition wont hurt.

Microsoft released a new blog post - and unexpectedly, Wingows 11 now requires the above-mentioned Virtualization Based Security, i.e. what they call Hypervisor-Enforced Code Integrity (HVCI) / Memory Integrity. VBS is one level above baseline security, and below the 'Secured-core PC' level.

Update on Windows 11 minimum system requirements
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...te-on-windows-11-minimum-system-requirements/

Specifically, VBS requires a number of hardware features to be present and enabled, such as
  • 64-bit CPU with virtualisation, i.e. Intel VT-x, AMD V;
  • Native Mode UEFI (with legacy Compatibility Support Module (CSM) disabled);
  • UEFI 2.5/2.6 features like Memory Attributes Table (MAT), Windows SMM Security Mitigations Table (WMST), and Secure Memory Overwrite Request (MOR) v2;
  • Second Layer Address Translation (SLAT) in Intel VT-x2 Extended Page Tables (EPT) and AMD V Rapid Virtualization Indexing (RVI);
  • IOMMU virtualization in Intel VT-d, AMD Vi, or ARM SMMU;
  • Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0, hardware or firmware-based;
  • HVCI enabled drivers.
Insider builds are not enforcing CPU and TPM requirements for now.

IOMMU virtualisation is available since Intel Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield) and AMD K10 from 2007-2008 - though only Sandy Bridge / Silvermont and Bulldozer / Jaguar had native UEFI firmware. But the TPM 2.0 requirement and UEFI 2.5/2.6 specs were introduced 2015-2016 - so earlier UEFI system are unlikely to be updated to the new requirements.

And for best performance, it needs Intel Mode-based execute control for EPT (MBEC), which is only available since Skylake X / Kaby Lake, or an equivalent AMD Guest-mode execute trap for NPT (GMET), only available since Zen 2...

MBEC (Mode Based Execution Control) the culprit why only more modern CPUs can run Windows 11

Last edited:
I got the notification for the dev build, but it runs the compatibility check and doesn’t install because of TPM. So at least this first build is restricted.

Microsoft released a new blog post - unexpectedly, Wingows 11 now requires Virtualization Based Security, i.e. what they call Hypervisor-Enforced Code Integrity (HVCI) / Memory Integrity and Device Guard.
Ok, time for the PC "boomers" (j/k) to come out of the woodwork: who of you remember Microsoft Palladium? Need a reminder? EPIC - Microsoft Palladium: Next Generation Secure Computing Base

Yeah, so guess what: Windows 11 is now the end of a two-decades-in-the-making vision of Palladium. Most of us recall the virtual eye-rolls at the time, the laughs at their expense, blah blah. And yet, here we are. I find it interesting their vision is finally a reality.

Perhaps its just something bugged in the older chips or there is an exploit that is not known to the public yet and Intel / amd want to avoid having those chips stay in use ?

Apparently Skylake is more vulnerable than other processors to spectre because it uses indirect brand speculation on both the indrect branches and return prediction stack over flows. Perhaps that carries over to Kaby lake but is fixed in the caby lake refresh and coffee lake ?

or considering that Intel changes sockets and chipsets so often maybe the fault is in older chipsets ?

that explains why my previous Ryzen 1500X CPU has been excluded from the compatibility list of Windows 11.

Still downloading the OS update, I am into a 20MB radio satellite connection.

Not sure where Cyan lives, however North America is huge and yet has a relatively low density of internet connectivity outside of the major metro areas / regions.

I spent the last 10 months driving my family all over the continent (22 states and 15,000 miles!) and we had to be very intentional about where we stayed so I could continue to work my IT job even though I was remote. Coverage gets really spotty, really quickly, as you roll away from cities and major interstate highways. :(

Not sure where Cyan lives, however North America is huge and yet has a relatively low density of internet connectivity outside of the major metro areas / regions.

I spent the last 10 months driving my family all over the continent (22 states and 15,000 miles!) and we had to be very intentional about where we stayed so I could continue to work my IT job even though I was remote. Coverage gets really spotty, really quickly, as you roll away from cities and major interstate highways. :(

Yeah canada is very large :p Im in sweden, country side with fiber optics :)

Back