Windows 11 [2021]

AM4 motherboards implement fTPM (firmware TPM) using the Platform Security Processor in recent AMD CPUs, though you have to explicutly enable fTPM in your UEFI BIOS settings

Asrock B450M Steel Legend does have an TPM SPI header as well.
it's working fine. I type tpm.msc after clicking on the start button and it's compatible, maybe I can test it next week.
156igr6.jpg

now I wonder if Linus Tech Tips didnt get it wrong. They tested W11 on incredible computers yet none of them couldn't run them. Then they said it was because it is a version meant for running on virtual machines, but I guess they missed the tpm 2.0 requirement, I guess.

now I wonder if Linus Tech Tips didnt get it wrong. They tested W11 on incredible computers yet none of them couldn't run them. Then they said it was because it is a version meant for running on virtual machines, but I guess they missed the tpm 2.0 requirement, I guess.

I thought that too, but I installed it just fine and had TPM off in the bios.

The trick was to run the updater from the desktop and not try to boot from USB.

Tpm 2 module needed on desktop ?? Wtf ? For my asus prime x299 deluxe 2, it's an optional module. Not way I change plate form for this reason.

Was this video posted? Anyway, i really like the new Windows 11, yes the IO/Nvme requirements (and CPU etc aswell) wants modern hardware but thats actually a good thing. We cant be stuck on ancient hardware forever, there needs to be a push somewhere, sometime.

Edit:

''Microsoft is also requiring UEFI, Secure Boot, and TPM 2.0 support for Windows 11. If your PC doesn't have any of these, Microsoft doesn't guarantee that Windows 11 will run correctly.''

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-11-system-requirements

Probably means you can install W11 on older systems. Will be a thing to try for fun on my old i7 920 system :p

Was this video posted? Anyway, i really like the new Windows 11, yes the IO/Nvme requirements (and CPU etc aswell) wants modern hardware but thats actually a good thing. We cant be stuck on ancient hardware forever, there needs to be a push somewhere, sometime.

Edit:

''Microsoft is also requiring UEFI, Secure Boot, and TPM 2.0 support for Windows 11. If your PC doesn't have any of these, Microsoft doesn't guarantee that Windows 11 will run correctly.''

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-11-system-requirements

Probably means you can install W11 on older systems. Will be a thing to try for fun on my old i7 920 system :p

So..

Aero glass is back with a new look, windows fancy zones is now build in, native Android app support (tiktok was shown, I wonder how it handles games)

Compatibility Support Module - an UEFI (Unified Extensuble Firmware Interface) component that runs legacy BIOS option ROMs (in PCIe extension cards like videocards, network cards, SATA RAID cards, etc.) for hardware initialization, and starts bootloader code from the first sector of MBR hard disks, instead of the regular process of using UEFI DXE drivers such as GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) driver in recent video cards, and loading UEFI Shell applications from the filesystem on the EFI System Partition to start OS-specific EFI bootloaders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#CSM_booting

Last edited:
There were some rumors about virtualizing x86/64 programs to increase security, I've missed it, or are they skipping on this functionality?

Looks very nice, great to see its gonna be 64bit only, Next version of visual studio is also finally gonna be 64 bit.
No idea why they need 9" minimum screen size? surely minimum resolution should be the sole factor?
they still need to really upgrade the start button, let it be fully customizable (mine would go fullscreen, showing everything, widgets, task manager , all open apps i.e.alternative to to alt-tab etc, eventually this will happen, but I've been now waiting 20 years! FFS get a move on )

There were some rumors about virtualizing x86/64 programs to increase security, I've missed it, or are they skipping on this functionality?

Do you mean something like VBS (virtualization-based security)? It's already in Windows 10 but generally disabled by default except for some devices such as Surface Laptop 4.
I guess maybe the TPM 2.0 requirement in Windows 11 has something to do with this (and also BitLocker?).

Back