Windows 11 [2021]

Pretty abrupt departure for the head of Windows/Surface, apparently heading to Amazon.

A lot of QT's about this this is a big loss though and um...is it? Surface was a notoriously unreliable brand, overpriced and slow to update. Then we have the reception for Windows 11...and well, nuff said.

It can always get worse of course, and regardless of my feelings of Panos, the rot for Windows imo is largely coming from the Bing team's desperation to gain traction by shoving themselves in your face at every opportunity, so I doubt any new head is going to remedy that. But I just don't see Panos's reign as somehow extraordinary.

Windows 11 and now the new Office apps get worse day by day.

Aside from features like using AI, or a function to remove the background of an image now MS Paint is going to have other very nice features.

paint-con-capas.gif

microsoft-paint-con-capas.jpg

Finally got to try Win 11 and I hate the startmenu
I get something that looks like this :
View attachment 9543

How do I get a normal startmenu like windows 10
View attachment 9544

EDIT :
Found a solution
I use StartAllBack, it works very well for me, although I only use to move the taskbar to the right vertical side of the screen.

yep accurate clock is needed for secure comms so it wants to sync up with some internet clock

That's a non issue. The local machine automatically sync their clock with time.windows.com.

Windows has done it for many decades
oh yes but this is windows 11 and all that is out the window (hah!) so now the apps does it by themselves

because its "better?" or something

oh yes but this is windows 11 and all that is out the window (hah!) so now the apps does it by themselves

because its "better?" or something
now you got me thinking, maybe MS borked their "local machine time" or the "local machine time sync" system. so as a workaround, the clock connects to the internet by itself.

The confusing part was not windows accessing the internet but the clock app accessing the internet.

Thus the speculation of why the clock apps accessing the internet
according to this its because its looking for an update in the microsoft store each time it runs

according to this its because its looking for an update in the microsoft store each time it runs
the weird thing is that it was not the first time i launched the clock app. maybe it just phones home every launch then. i wonder what data they sent, making it to phone home every launch. instead of merging it together in the os-level telemetry.

Anybody buy Stardock's Start11 Start Menu replacement? Been using the trial on my new work PC for a few days. Considering it for my mini PC at home too. It seems worth it for $6 but the multiple install version that supports 5 computers is $15. I only have 2 PCs. So it's cheaper just to buy 2 single copies instead. Anyway, any bad experiences? How's support?

September 28, 2023
Windows 11 23H2 comes with a new file explorer. It benefits from novelties but is also accompanied by an unpleasant surprise. Without explanation, the drag-and-drop function in its address bar no longer works.

This discovery is surprising because it is a step backwards in terms of productivity. This isn't the first time Microsoft has overpriced such a feature. When Windows 11 was released, it had totally disappeared from the bar of tâcehes. It took a year to witness his return. It took place with the release of Windows 11 22H2. At the time Microsoft presented things as a breakthrough forgetting that this feature has been accompanying Windows for years.
Until now it was quick to move items using only the address bar. A simple drag and drop allowed content to be moved to one location without having to open another window or tab. Now this is no longer possible.

Any reporters managed to get insider info on why windows 11 have so many regressions?

Even windows 8 didn't have these many regressions, and mostly solved in windows 8.1

Back