Windows 11 [2021]

windows 11 fucked me lol
been wasting time troubleshooting my laptop. turns out windows 11 automatically updated my GPU driver. rolled it back, voila fixed.

Anyone installed on a Haswell based system?

Windows 10 has never really felt that snappy on my 4770k and was thinking of giving this a go to see if it improves anything.

IME windows 11 is less snappy than 10. especially in launching the start menu and task manager tho.

windows 11 fucked me lol
been wasting time troubleshooting my laptop. turns out windows 11 automatically updated my GPU driver. rolled it back, voila fixed.

W10 used to do that aswell, for me a rollback didnt prevent windows from automatically downloading older versions of GPU drivers (on laptops). You need to add the hardwares deviceid's to the list of prevention of hardware installations. Works 100%.

IME windows 11 is less snappy than 10. especially in launching the start menu and task manager tho.

Ive been experiencing the otherway around, feels like W11 is snappier, but i'd bet the difference is minimal though.

W10 used to do that aswell, for me a rollback didnt prevent windows from automatically downloading older versions of GPU drivers (on laptops). You need to add the hardwares deviceid's to the list of prevention of hardware installations. Works 100%.

Ive been experiencing the otherway around, feels like W11 is snappier, but i'd bet the difference is minimal though.

Hmm, I suspect you have a good internet?

Windows 11 start menu slows down considerably the worse the internet is. Even with "recommendations" disabled.

Heads up on that 22H2 update. I had to roll back to the previous build because VR stutters with it. It seems like I'm not exactly alone in this. NVidia is looking into it so maybe it's just a driver thing but who knows.

Since the rumor in windows 10 of Microsoft deleted their QC group, the updates has been buggy. Better to change the update tier to the slow tier

Heads up on that 22H2 update. I had to roll back to the previous build because VR stutters with it. It seems like I'm not exactly alone in this. NVidia is looking into it so maybe it's just a driver thing but who knows.

Geforce Experience Update that likely fixes the issue is here. I don't have VR but I had horrible stuttering in some games since upgrading and this update fixed it.

any idea what this is error is about?

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 6

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Geforce Experience Update that likely fixes the issue is here. I don't have VR but I had horrible stuttering in some games since upgrading and this update fixed it.

I let Win11 update to 22H2 again to test this out. It's not fixed. I did a clean install of the latest NV drivers and didn't even install GF Experience. It still stutters like crazy.

I tried some other stuff too like reinstalling chipset drivers, closing tray apps, resetting / reinstalling Mixed Reality Portal.

Rolled back to previous Win11 build again.

It might have something to do with a WMR component called HolographicShell. I think I will monitor that situation.

Last edited:
Microsoft admits that virtualization and memory integrity can quite affect performance in games, and published a support article on how to disable them:

https://prod.support.services.micro...ndows-11-a255f612-2949-4373-a566-ff6f3f474613

Additionally, they finally published the Windows HDR Calibration tool. Great software tbh.

It's sooooooo easy to use and worked like a charm with my TV. It creates a new colour profile that becomes the default profile for your TV or monitor.

Microsoft admits that virtualization and memory integrity can quite affect performance in games, and published a support article on how to disable them:

https://prod.support.services.micro...ndows-11-a255f612-2949-4373-a566-ff6f3f474613

Additionally, they finally published the Windows HDR Calibration tool. Great software tbh.

It's sooooooo easy to use and worked like a charm with my TV. It creates a new colour profile that becomes the default profile for your TV or monitor.

Awesome thanks! I'll definitely be trying the HDR tool out later. I've not tried VR yet but if I have issues then I'll report back if disabling those features fixed them or not.

windows 11 has been pretty crashy these days, turns out it have very weird memory usage

1665130552832.png

how it can commit 30+GB, while i onl have 16GB of RAM and only 606 MB in pagefile?

Yeah they are creating a complicated minefield of settings. Another thing that should usually be disabled is Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling because it can cause severe stuttering. For some reason only NVidia supports it.

Last edited:
Yeah they are creating a complicated minefield of settings. Another thing that should usually be disabled is Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling because it can cause severe stuttering. For some reason only NVidia supports it.
good go know, I disabled that too on my desktop computer.

I didn't know about VMP, but Memory Integrity, I knew it well. When I wanted to install the drivers of a synth, the Roland SD-50, memory integrity didnt let me to install them because they werent certified -the product was discontinued and it had drivers for Windows 10 and below, but not 11.

It's algo interesting in the article you shared that they link to an article on ReBAR and why they recommend it.

cyan....
i used that and then...

now photoshop is showing GREEN as white.

how do i remove the profile?

EDIT:
nvm, found it C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

Edit2

Btw the max nits setting via CRU still works fine. So anyone hit with issues after using hdr profile, delete the profile, and try using cru instead.

Last edited:
orangelupa, how is it you have such crazy experiences with your pc? :D :D

Also what kind of crazy is going on with your memory usage? If you go to the processes tab, do you have an application sucking up all that memory?

Back