Windows 10 [2018]

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by rcf, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Have you enabled God Mode? I experienced similar problems when I tried using it. It was with Windows 10 1803, though.

2. hoom

Veteran

No God Mode nope.

3. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

run sysinternals process monitor and filter explorer.exe and see what it does when it crashes

4. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Windows 10 properly detected and mount EXT4 partition of my android install

Whoa!

What new features I missed?

5. DmitryKo

Regular

Jerry Berg aka Barnacules Nerdgasm has something to share about build quality of recent Windows 10 releases. Well, it looks like Microsoft laid off most of their Windows 10 testing team in Summer/Fall 2014, right at the start of the Windows Insider program! WTF Satya Nadella? No-one around to put a big sign on the wall that reads It's the testing, stupid ?!!

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/09/23/f...plains-why-bugs-in-windows-updates-increased/
    https://borncity.com/win/2019/09/25/ex-microsoftler-erklrt-die-schlechte-windows-10-qualitt/
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/217126/this-is-why-windows-10-is-so-unreliable
    etc.

I'm signing off the Windows Insider Preview right after the next release, enough is enough. The Microsoft Edge debacle, and all the problems with Cortana, Start Menu and UWP apps in general, with zillion negative Feedback Hub posts which go unread and unnoticed, did not seem to teach them a lesson...

PS. And I'm pretty sure Windows 10 does not support EXT4 filesystem out of the box, unless you install DiskInternals Linux Reader software which includes a filesystem filter driver.

#185 DmitryKo, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Silent_Buddha, Bludd and pharma like this.
  6. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yup, basically one of the largest drawbacks of a significantly faster iteration time for Windows is that there is also significantly less time to thoroughly test Windows builds before release.

All those people being released on the testing team is just a by product of that.

While I like some of the things that Nadella has implemented over at Microsoft, from a Windows standpoint, I feel Ballmer was a much better CEO. While Windows iterations were far slower, they were also generally more robust and well tested. Bugs still slipped through, but not nearly to the extent that they have under Nadella.

Hall, a half baked Edge never would have been released under Ballmer. At the very least it would have been feature complete or mostly feature complete under Ballmer versus barely usable under Nadella.

Hell, IE 11 as neutered as it was compared to IE 9 was still a better browser than Edge in anything but speed. I still don't know why they didn't just use the new rendering engine they used in Edge for IE. Bleh.

Every single major release of Windows is now so incredibly buggy compared to Windows releases prior to Nadella. /sigh.

Hell, 1903 basically made Metro: Exodus unplayable on my machine when I finally allowed it to be installed on my machine (I had to finally despite the various reports of how 1903 was broken since Game Pass PC required it). Thankfully, at least WRT games the fallout hasn't been as bad as it was for Metro.

Regards,
    SB

7. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Is there windows 10 "stop changing settings by itself" edition?

#187 orangpelupa, Oct 10, 2019 at 4:08 PM
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 11:18 PM
  8. Davros

Legend

Yes it comes with a free tub of cat poison.......

orangpelupa and BRiT like this.