Windows 10 [2018]

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by rcf, Jan 10, 2018.

1. pharma

Veteran Regular

Microsoft might offer Windows 10 as a subscription
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/microsoft-might-offers-windows-10-as-a-subscription.html

2. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

well obviously they shot themselves in the foot (while planing that and giving away lots of free upgrade licences) given the unusually long shelf life for Windows 10..

3. hoom

Veteran

If they try to force that shit on Consumers with existing licenses I'm shifting to Linux.

I can certainly see the attractiveness of it for a Business though, especially one with significant fluctuation in staff numbers.

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I could see them possibly shifting Windows Pro to a subscription based service, but I doubt they would also drop the stand alone purchase at the same time.

I'm skeptical they'd ever do something like that for Windows Home. A retail Home license is already so cheap that a subscription for it doesn't make sense.

One interesting wrinkle in this is WRT to the educational sector. Office 365 is already basically free for any student at pretty much any 2 year or 4 year college or university, in the US. I'm not sure how it is abroad. This would make it easy for them to offer a free Windows installation for students as well, tying it into the same service.

Regards,
    SB