Windows 10 [2018]

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by rcf, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I have them in Quick Launch so that I don't have to have those specific applications in the Start menu. :)

Regards,
    SB

2. hoom

Veteran

Oh you have it set with the icons all showing, text/titles disabled?
    I always used Quicklaunch with the icons hidden in the fly-out so Pin to Start is same number of clicks but without taking up any Taskbar real-estate.

3. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

yes also they are small so they take up 2 spots from running programs, I have 12 icons there now but I saw now that I dont use all thes eprograms anymore.

4. pharma

Veteran Regular

Microsoft extends plot to hide Windows 10 Local Accounts setup to rest of the world
    February 20, 2020

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-extends-plot-to-hide-windows-10-local-accounts-setup-to-rest-of-the-world/

5. pharma

Veteran Regular

Microsoft will support hardware-accelerated AV1 codec in latest Windows 10 systems
    https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...erated-av1-codec-in-latest-windows-10-systems

BRiT and PSman1700 like this.
  6. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

So many codecs, so little memory...

How does AV1 compare with H.265 (HVEC) or the recently finalized H.266 (VVC)? From quick reads it seems AV1 is more efficient than H.265/HVEC. So this is good that its gaining support, where as not much has been using H.265 while I see a lot of H.264 videos.

I wonder if they sorted out the license dispute yet.

A search show https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/h266-av1-evc-three-new-video-codecs-fully-explained/

AV1 reportedly offers an average of 30% savings in bandwidth over HEVC — but potentially as much as 40%.

Why would we need AV1 if VVC is more efficient? Well, one big reason is money. AV1 is royalty-free, which means anyone is free to use it without paying a dime. VVC, on the other hand, requires a paid license.

Netflix has already started to use AV1 in a limited capacity when streaming to Android devices

Sisvel, an entity that owns or holds the rights to many technology patents, claims that AV1 is not royalty-free and has set up a site that sells AV1 licenses. The argument is that AV1 was built on top of some of Sisvel’s intellectual property (IP) — as well as the IP of other companies that have joined with Sisvel — and therefore cannot be free from licensing fees.​

pharma likes this.
  7. tuna

Veteran

Maybe Sisvel should start to sue AV1 users. The courts will have to decide if they actually own any relevant patents.

8. Davros

Legend

Too risky, will will look for a company who cannot afford a legal battle and get them to settle

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Much like MPG, DTS, Dolby, DVD, BluRay, etc. you license products being sold or distributed to consumers, not the consumers themselves. In most cases, it isn't a consumer that is violating patent laws WRT to these types of things but the manufacturers or producers of products containing these things.

There are, of course, always examples where that doesn't apply and licenses are sold directly to consumers. For example, when Microsoft switched to a model of charging people to enable DVD playback directly through Windows versus paying for the license for all users of Windows regardless of whether a user ever used the built in DVD playback capabilities of Windows.

However, even then it isn't exactly a user paying for a license. Microsoft is still paying for the license, but users are paying Microsoft to enable it at which point MS then pays to license it for that user's copy of Windows.

The same applies for how MS approaches Dolby Atmos for Headphones on Windows. Rather than paying the license for all users of Windows, they instead only pay the license for users that explicitly say they want to use it via purchasing the capability to enable it's use on their copy of Windows.

Regards,
    SB

BRiT likes this.
  10. tuna

Veteran

The whole point of AV1 is that you do not have to pay to license any patents. If Sisvel will want any money they will have to go through the courts.

BRiT likes this.
  11. Davros

Legend

Not unless they make buying a license more attractive than a legal battle

12. hoom

Veteran

Crazy :cool2:
    I already get amazed by how tiny but high quality x265 can be.

Kyyla, pharma and orangpelupa like this.
  13. tuna

Veteran

You do not become rich by giving every patent troll everything they want.

14. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

after today i rebooted my windows 10 due to a new update, it become like this

so weird. it 100% reproducible simply by rebooting.

15. Davros

Legend

If your choice is engage in a legal battle that will bankrupt your company or pay a license fee you do, that's why patent trolls go after small companies who are struggling

orangpelupa and BRiT like this.
  16. tuna

Veteran

Like Netflix and Youtube?

17. Davros

Legend

No, not like netflix and youtube

18. tuna

Veteran

It would be slightly difficult for Sisvels' lawyers to explain to the courts why they do not sue the biggest users of AV1 (Netflix and Youtube) and instead sue really small companies instead.

19. Davros

Legend

The point is not to sue, you target them because you expect them to settle, having companies licensing your ip gives you an air of legitimacy when you go after bigger fish

BRiT likes this.
  20. tuna

Veteran

I think it would work in reverse in this case.