Will we see an ALL DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION 9th gen? *poll*

Should there be a download-only console platform next gen?

• Total voters
With developmetn costs going up and up, and profits going down, many publisher/developers in the industry are in a tight spot. I'd rather have Crytek, Konami, Irrational Games and Capcom of the world possibly stay in the console/pc business via a 25% boost in revenue by selling the majority of their software digitally, than exit for something like mobile or f2p.

Konami of all those examples is the prime reason why we should be very careful about the 25% saved up front, given the precedent set by the P.T. debacle.

I changed my vote because I thought it would lead to interesting drama...

I'm OK with situation on the PS4, it's your choice what you buy ... I have only Far Cry 4 on blu-ray, everything else is download. I'm deciding on Just Cause 3 and just found out that my favourite retailer went "temporary"out of business, so it will be download again. But that is only my approach and I fully understand all pro-physical arguments about ownership and resell value.

And when did phone and tablet users go digital? Lack of choice, isn't a choice. :nope:

Do people still buy movies on dvd and bluray?

As this generation progresses Sony and MS will be able to gauge if a download only console will be feasible. If there's still a significant amount of the market purchasing games on disc then it's a no brainer. They always have the option of releasing a core console without a disc drive, though a purchasable upgrade, and a deluxe unit or whatever that includes the disc drive. It doesn't make much sense to turn away a sizable portion of the market.

So the poll asks if we'll see an all digital generation, so the answer is no. Some body will obviously launch a console that uses physical media next generation.

The real question is whether we'll see all digital options next generation, and I think the answer is that we'll see that before this generation ends.

Although, I'm thinking that this looks to be the shortest console generation ever, with both the XB1 and the PS4 being $299 w/ games already for BF. I guess that's what you get when you get consoles launched with 3 year old tech rather than state of the art systems.

BF deals are temporary. This is the generation of temporary deals, it seems.

It is also NOT the generation of 599 console losing 2 billion the first year because someone named Ken was crazy.

BF deals are temporary. This is the generation of temporary deals, it seems.

It is also NOT the generation of 599 console losing 2 billion the first year because someone named Ken was crazy.

Bah, say what you want about BF deals, but any of them that are actually real and move products in any large numbers aren't temporary, they are indicators of future pricing.

It's like the furniture business, ever bought furniture from a store that wasn't having some amazing sale? Of course not, because that's their business model. Just like the store Kohls, who has a different sale every week. People get to expect sales and they get to expect sale pricing. MS already did it this generation, if you've bought an XB1 at full price with no pack-in or extras, you must have missed a promotion by a handful of days and been too lazy to go take your receipt back to the store! :D

Barring a massive overhaul of the internet Infrastructure in North America and Europe, and a major change in policy by telecoms with regard to bandwidth caps, I don't see ALL digital distribution happening within the next 10+ years.

Maybe revisit the subject when 9th gen (PS5, etc) is nearing the end of its lifecycle, and be prepared to push the thought of an all digital distribution model yet further off.

Back