Will ATi jump on the SLI bandwagon?

I'm with PatrickL on this one, I do not get why nVidia released that press release over 7200 3dm2k5 marks when there were already higher X800 scores on the Orb....but I did find it rather entertaining in an embarressing way for nVidia. ;)

It just seemed like a boneheaded move, I think everyone was expecting a whole lot closer to 10k out of that system.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
ATI has been improving their compiler, and their memory/job schedulers. How is this different? It's seems to me that you just distrust ATI's improvements and trust Nvidia's improvements, for no real reason than your preconceptions/bias.
Well, it seems to you and that is good ;) But it seems to me that i made my point: NV's architecture is much more flexible in various legit optimizations schemes, so these improvements (which are significatly less than ATI's btw) are very well may be squeezed through compiler tweakery.

I _don't know_ that for sure. I even don't know if we can consider these compiler improvements legit since they could work _only_ in 3DM05 which would be really sad.

Ailuros said:
The possibility of a spoiler from the side of ATI has been already mentioned here by Dave and if there should be such a possibility I highly doubt that it'll be concentrated on drivers.

Oh I sincerely wish ATI does this. Then all the people decrying the SLI option on the basis that only Nvidia provides it can be quiet. Although if Nvidia can't deliver then ATI has no incentive to even consider an SLI or similar solution.

Not really. Both ATI and Nvidia have been releasing PR on overclocked or special systems in the past, and then auctioning or selling those systems for charity.

I don't think a mega-overclocked CPU+GPU vs SLI embarrases anyonet. NVidia could respond by going for a super-overclocked SLI system. The difference between the SLI and the super-overclock score is that the SLI system will probably be more stable and realistic, whereas, I doubt many people will be running 800Mhz XTPE's

Also, Nvidia could release scores that use high degrees of antialiasing and resolution, which will scale better on SLI systems.

Gonna be damned hard to OC an SLI system, there ain't much room 'tween the cards to put any additional (or even different!) cooling in. :(

Fodder said:
You can easily fit a decent waterblock in the space the 6800U cooler takes up.

Gotta be a hell of a watercooling setup to handle 2xUltras and a most likely overclocked A64. Semantics aside, I'm still disappointed in that SLI score from Nvidia PR. Their only saving grace is that SLI isn't out yet and they may have some kinks to work out. However, if the shipping product doesn't deliver then they would be better off not releasing it at all.

This is only a single SLI bench on 3DM. I would wait for benchs on a diverse set of games at high resolution and hi-AA, possibly even super-sampling modes.

No, I think dismissing dual 6800Us as useless right off the bat is much more productive. I mean entertaining. No, wait: soul-crushing. Boring?

Ah, whatever. Wake me when nV releases its creation onto an unsuspecting (but very suspicious) populous. Preferably with a new thread. :p

Reverend said:
I don't want dual/multi-cards "SLI", however cool that sounds.

I want Dual/Multi-Chips-On-A-Single-Card "SLI".

I'm with you on the multi-chip-on-a-single board. But i wouldn't say that i don't want multi card SLI. I just wouldn't pay for it.

Reverend said:

Well, we differ. I want a dual PEG motherboard and I want SLI. If someone offers multiple-chips-on-a-single-card SLI, then I'll just plug in two of these cards and have 4-way SLI.

I want a dual-CPU MB. When multiple-core CPUs come out, I will plug in two of these CPUs and have a 4-way SMP box. It's not either-or.

Why are people so uptight about this? ATI and NVidia are already selling solutions like this for people into DCC. Seems like a lot of downtalking for suspicious reasons.

DemoCoder said:
Seems like a lot of downtalking for suspicious reasons.

It's not suspicious. The reasons are quite obvious.

SLI is not optimal but it still has the greatest potential for maximizing graphics performance in PC's today. The missing ingredient is Nvidia executing properly and delivering on its promises. And we all know that bit is up in the air. Sure two chips on one board might be better (cooling? bandwidth requirements?) but do we have such a solution available or promised in the near future? No.

Reverend said:

In terms of usefulness, something that you can just plug in and get benefits from is more useful than something that is already pre-fixed in such a configuration, since you'd still be bying a single board in that configuration (unless you go down some bizarre plugable chip or daughter board routine).

Back