WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
brain_stew said:
I don't know how reliable it is but this supposed article from the new issue of Gameinformer seems to coincide with recent "developments".

This quote from the article

a development interface that centers on a AI-controlled command-line interface

Has me doubting whether any of it is true.

brain_stew said:
I don't know how reliable it is but this supposed article from the new issue of Gameinformer seems to coincide with recent "developments".

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo...sage.id=1260806&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

It confirms support for normal mapping, bump mapping, HDR lighting among other things. It also talks about the dedicated physics hardware as well. On their own none of these articles seem to be much evidence of much but together they all seem to be painting a very similar picture.
Sounds like BS to me.

Chipsets are very inexpensive although EXTREMELY powerful, WILL incorporate many aspects of the Project Reality study.
So it uses N64 technology?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Project Reality" was nothing more than the codename for the Ultra 64 which was renamed Nintendo 64.

Project Reality was meant to use some of "reality immersion technology" that Silcion Graphics had. a fancy name for 3D graphics, textured mapped polygons with some rendering features (gourad shading AA, filtering, mip-mapping, alpha blending) to make the polygons look nicer than flat polygons, or simply textured polygons. basicly a MIPs RISC CPU with a custom GPU
(the RCP).

nothing more really, none of this wild A.I. technology that was a cute little BS fiction, recently written by someone with too much time on his hands.

Hollywood GPU and Revolution / Wii have nothing to do with Project Reality. other than some of the same people working on it. SGI ==> ArtX ===> ATi

brain_stew said:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo...sage.id=1260806&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

It confirms support for normal mapping, bump mapping, HDR lighting among other things. It also talks about the dedicated physics hardware as well. On their own none of these articles seem to be much evidence of much but together they all seem to be painting a very similar picture.

From that: nurbs rendering, ray-tracing, and panoramically-composted depth-composited cubemappng (what???).

Looks like a fan boy wet dream, BS for me.

Looks like they took every rumor that's floating around out there, mashed 'em together, and tried to start a few of their won. Good job, kid. :rolleyes:

mattcoz said:
Yeah, the one they used on the N64.
I dunno about that. The one used for N64 were static cubemapped images, not dynamic real-time cubemapping.

Take a good looks at some of the reflections off the trucks from the ExciteTruck videos IGN posted. I know it's real-time cubemapping, but what kind?

chosen_colette said:
i do not have a microphone, and i dont give my phone number out to anyone on the internet,s orry. in 2 - 4 days ill have the cable and can get the interview over to my PC

Any update on this Jessica?, its been 3 days now and things have gone very quiet.

From Dave himself

During a demonstration of Crossfire ATI displayed an interesting demo which put the Crossfire cards to an alternative use. As opposed to having the Crossfire boards increasing performance by distributing graphics workloads across the two ATI has a demo with wave simulations that could be fully calculated on the CPU, have the CPU calculating the physics and the graphics rendering the image, or moving the rendering to one board and the physics of the wave simulation to the second graphics board, effectively turning it into a physics co-processor.

http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/ati/r520/index.php?p=08

So ATI is definitely trying to get physics incorporated in their GPUs. Don't know if that is already happening with Hollywood though.

Cool Info Fearsomepirate I a little pumped each time I keep thinking of recent statement from ATI about the GPU or things relatd to their products. Here are some tidbits I had in another post on at ign.

"IGN: Is the hardware as easy to use on the Wii as it was with the GameCube? The two systems are very similar is structure we're told.

Konami: Yes, the structure is very similar to GameCube, but you already knew that. The development was not that difficult, as the Wii system has built in physics simulation. That helped the process."
Source

Here is the Havok announcement about their software on Wii. With Jessica's recent interview I can't help but wonder if all 3 of them being on Wii is a coincedence.

hupfinsgack said:
From Dave himself

http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/ati/r520/index.php?p=08

So ATI is definitely trying to get physics incorporated in their GPUs. Don't know if that is already happening with Hollywood though.

don't forget that the Flipper LSI had elements in it not made by ArtX or ATI.

1. the 16-bit audio DSP by Macronix
2. S3TC in hardware

probably other things I'm forgetting (hey where's my coffee?)

guys, is it possible that the physics-processing done on the Hollywood LSI,
is non-ATI tech ?

fearsomepirate said:
IGN has current and next generation screens of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance up. The next-gen screens look far below the abilities of X360 and PS3. Could they be indicative of Wii graphics?
More indicative of a cross-generation game but a not-particularly adept developer. Seeing as the Wii screenshot is 720p, I'm guessing it's an XB360 screeny. Though the XB screenshot is also 720p :???:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back