Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
But a tweener near to PS3 or a tweener near to Xbox 720? I guess near 720.

Based on the rumors that we have for Durango/PS4, it will probably be a bit closer to the PS3 than the 720 in raw power. Wii U's GPU and the RAM quantity for games will at least be 2-3x greater than current gen, but the Durango/PS4 may end up being 3-5x greater than Wii U's. It may end up being closer to the other next-gen consoles in terms of graphical features, though, depending on the customizations Nintendo had done to the GPU.

Wii U's GPU and the RAM quantity for games will at least be 2-3x greater than current gen, but the Durango/PS4 may end up being 3-5x greater than Wii U's. It may end up being closer to the other next-gen consoles in terms of graphical features, though, depending on the customizations Nintendo had done to the GPU.

Who knows if it's 2-3x greater though, an R700 based GPU with an unknown configuration could be on the low-end and underclocked.

To be honest I'm quite surprised that a GPU from 2008 with a rumoured 32MB of EDRAM isn't targeting 1080p.

But a tweener near to PS3 or a tweener near to Xbox 720? I guess near 720.
With the rumours we have to go on, nearer to PS3 than PS4. And my main reason for thinking that is that if the hardware was a significant advance, it'd be showing in the launch titles. Every generation that has an order of magnitude improvement in power gets a notable improvement over last-gen graphics, even if it's just an increase in resolution and texture detail. Wii U's launch titles are around current-gen levels, which means there isn't a massive amount of power beyond that - not unless the Wii U developers are struggling to get more than 10% utilisation from the hardware! But we don't need to go by that logic. We have dev comments telling us Wii U's performance is around current-gen, and a small case. All the evidence points that way.

The only way Wii U could be closer to PS4 than PS3 is if PS4 isn't much of an advance at all, but the rumours are saying Sony are going fairly powerhouse again, although not monster power like their previous consoles so the visual advance may not be as pronounced as we are used to between generations.

Who knows if it's 2-3x greater though, an R700 based GPU with an unknown configuration could be on the low-end and underclocked.

To be honest I'm quite surprised that a GPU from 2008 with a rumoured 32MB of EDRAM isn't targeting 1080p.

What's this based on? The fact that Nintendos own launch lineup targets 720p doesn't mean the console does.
IIRC there has been confirmations already that certain 3rd party multiplatform games are running 1080p on Wii U.

I wonder how many consoles will run on SDTV. some people buy all consoles and a TV before the old breaks, but Nintendo aims at a wide user base. that includes people that replace the TV when it breaks, and/or can't spend money on a new TV if they buy a console and games. also, console on a secondary TV.

I'm sure there's actually a lot of 1080p TVs out there but the combined share of old SDTV, old HDTV (where you would find 720p), and low end new HDTV (1080p but small) must be big as well.

funnily, a mario title is where you'd expect most 1080p. presumably simple, symbolic graphics. but an official 720p target allows good graphics overall.
hopefully there's the latest and greatest form of "FXAA" or similar, or you could waste the edram on msaa.

this edram is still puzzling by the way, if it's on the CPU (because it's IBM who knows how to make it) and the GPU is separate, the question of how this works is the biggest one to me, more than which shader model level does the GPU support.

With the rumours we have to go on, nearer to PS3 than PS4. And my main reason for thinking that is that if the hardware was a significant advance, it'd be showing in the launch titles. Every generation that has an order of magnitude improvement in power gets a notable improvement over last-gen graphics, even if it's just an increase in resolution and texture detail. Wii U's launch titles are around current-gen levels, which means there isn't a massive amount of power beyond that - not unless the Wii U developers are struggling to get more than 10% utilisation from the hardware! But we don't need to go by that logic. We have dev comments telling us Wii U's performance is around current-gen, and a small case. All the evidence points that way.

The only way Wii U could be closer to PS4 than PS3 is if PS4 isn't much of an advance at all, but the rumours are saying Sony are going fairly powerhouse again, although not monster power like their previous consoles so the visual advance may not be as pronounced as we are used to between generations.

Still think its premature to come to conclusions right now about the system's overall performance.

Still think its premature to come to conclusions right now about the system's overall performance.
What's you're reasoning to think that the machine is capable of many times what PS360 are capable of but launch titles are only on a par, not even managing to render the same visuals at higher resolution?

What's you're reasoning to think that the machine is capable of many times what PS360 are capable of but launch titles are only on a par, not even managing to render the same visuals at higher resolution?

:smile: I think many times is pushing it, however you sited "Every generation that has an order of magnitude improvement in power gets a notable improvement over last-gen graphics, even if it's just an increase in resolution and texture detail" by that same token it is also true that every gen, developers are able extract better overall performance from hardware as the generation matures.

I need to double check, but I'm quite sure somewhere someone confirmed that some of the multiplatform titles are in fact 1080p on WiiU (+ the 480p on pad, of course)

No-one has said that. If you want to believe that Nintendo's developers can enter into a new hardware architecture and gain very effective utilisation from it from their very first titles in a way no other developers can, that's your prerogative.

But the difference between Nintendo doing this in 2009 - 2012 and Sony/MS doing it pre-2005 should be obvious. There's an enormous wealth of knowledge on developing on the level of hardware Nintnedo is working with now - because developers have been working on this scale and with similar technology for over 6 years. That advantage wasnt there for 360 & PS3 devs leading up to those concoles launch. And of course Nintnedo has aquired its fair share of those "in the know" over the last few years to help them make the transition to larger scale projects with larger workforces.

I was thinking about the WiiU memory/GPU.

If the WiiU has 1.5 GB of memory, what do you think is the memory configuration?

To me it seems it would be 3 4Gb memory chips on a 96-bit bus. A 1.5 GB system says an odd bus size to me. Then are they using regular DDR3 or GDDR5?

My guess is regular DDR3 since it would be relatively cheap and suitable to provide the necessary bandwidth. A Radeon 4670 using DDR2 only has a BW of 28.8 GB/s. Using a faster DDR3 memory (1.833-2.1 Gb/s), I think they could achieve a BW around ~25 GB for the system. Not ground breaking, but if the system has a much more embedded dram than a 360, then I think it would be sufficient.

ouch! :cry:

Unless it comes from the development team any Nintendo PR person claiming 1080p is very likely only looking at the TV resolution

The same thing happened with Sony in the beginning, where a lot of games, that didn't even use any upscale algorithm, was called "1080P" (I remember specifically some Sony guy saying Motorstorm was 1080P, which it clearly isn't).

Posted by lherre in on Neogaf in the Wii U thread.

If he is hinting what it seems to be, it looks like Wii U's GPU is capable enough in graphical features compared to the other next-gen systems. Then again, it will be funny if that list included current-gen systems and mobiles as well. :p

Does Nintendo have a launch game in development that
s pushing a technological presentation?

Publishers don't seem all to interested in having devs change texture resolutions, all devs say is that the game will be on par with PS360 versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back