Why MS needs Blu-ray or doesn't need it... *Spin-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's needed.
The argument should be more about functionnalities and related price.

You can keep telling people it's "worth it" however the market speaks louder than anything. If that's the case, why only now barely keeping toe to toe with the 360? And why is it getting spanked by the Wii by a lot? Because "worth" isn't a checklist... it's far bigger and more complex. Telling people what they want vs giving people is going to make the big difference here.

That is one way to look at it, the other way is that it´s finally keeping up with the 360, even if barely when it used to be beaten and looked pretty bad.

I am not saying that Blu-Ray is the killer application for everyone, but i personally think that anyone ignoring the effect is ... ignorant :)
It´s one of those things that helps and will help the PS3 keep it´s momentum. Hell even this forum has it´s fair share of Blu-Ray/PS3 buyers just because they wanted PS3/Blu-Ray.

I think it's fair to say that the inclusion of Blu-ray in PS3 will grow in importance as the format itself will grow as we go on. I personally don't think that MS will absolutely need Blu-ray playback in the X360 as the machine is already going on its third year and by the time the next Xbox arrives Blu-ray still probably hasn't overtaken DVD-movie sales or at best is just doing it.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it is at some point included one way or the other, but find it unlikely at this point. If the markets react very heavily in favour of Blu-ray relatively soon, then MS might have to change their approach on the matter.

I don't think it's this gen that will show the clear advantage of having blue-ray,but at the beginning of next gen when MS launches it's Xbox720.
You're standing at retail looking at the next Xbox that has blue-ray and a hard drive standard for $500. You already have PS3 at home which has greatly increased dev support and it's been long paid for. I think at that point it will hold off people buying into next gen right away and extend the life of the PS3 beyond what the 360 can hope for.

Netflix, the same one you bragged about for the 360, also rents BDs - for the same price! Who want's to pay $6 per movie for 720P and DD5.1?

Live auto-renews at $50/year, sure you can find deals, but the average consumer won't.

The bluray service from netflix is horrendus , have you ever used it for blurays ? I have and I can tell you how bad it is .

Regardless , that is still an external fee that you neglect to mention in your pricing of live . Live can cost you $50 a year but no one told you that you had to pay $50 a year.

just a quick search http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000B6MLQY/ref=dp_olp_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1216810773&sr=1-8

It comes with points to use in the
online store , a head set and an arcade game for $40 bucks . for 1 year plus a $20 bucks off a game (if the coupon is still good ) The head set is up to a $20 value by itself .
Or you can just wait around for a coupon , I had a coupon for 25% off at toys r us a 13 month card cost me $33 bucks from there. 13 months of gaming time means it was about $2.50 cents a month to play as many games as i want as long as i want .

That you want to buy, not view, unless rentals are through the roof.

I like how the Blu-Ray effect is still being totally ignored by some. Any sales person worth his pay (okay i already messed up there) would make a point in saying that:

Quote:
yes the PS3 is $50 more but it does include Blu-Ray, wifi and no online fee, and just the Blu-Ray support is worth $350

Or

Yes the ps3 is $50 dollars , has a smaller library of games , has a more expensie library of games , has no wireless n support , has poor online support and has bluray which can cost you up to $40 a movie and also has a very limited library of movies most of which are targeted at young men . it also has a so so online store and no rentals on demand by netflix .

Its really not hard to sell either of these units . Btw currently the ps3 is either $50 bucks less expensive or if we use the pro unit its $100 more expensive. if we use the arcade its $130 less

You can keep telling people it's "worth it" however the market speaks louder than anything. If that's the case, why only now barely keeping toe to toe with the 360? And why is it getting spanked by the Wii by a lot? Because "worth" isn't a checklist... it's far bigger and more complex. Telling people what they want vs giving people is going to make the big difference here.

Thats right , the wii is only $150 less than the ps3 and doesn't even play regular dvd movies nor dos it have any time of hd support .

But you know what it has that the 360 also has ? A ton of games that people want to play. MGS4 is the first exclusive game on the ps3 that has been hyped up enough but mean while the xbox 360 has had a number of these games and the wii has had just as many when you take into account wii sports (comes with the system !) wii fit , mario galaxy , mario kart, super smash brothers. these are all games you can only play on the wii and to a larger majority thats whats important when buying whats primarly a game system . the games . the 360 has its fair share over the years since its been out.

That is one way to look at it, the other way is that it´s finally keeping up with the 360, even if barely when it used to be beaten and looked pretty bad.

I am not saying that Blu-Ray is the killer application for everyone, but i personally think that anyone ignoring the effect is ... ignorant
It´s one of those things that helps and will help the PS3 keep it´s momentum. Hell even this forum has it´s fair share of Blu-Ray/PS3 buyers just because they wanted PS3/Blu-Ray.

This forum is not the average buyer , this forum is madeu p of 80% hardcore and core gamers . I have a ps3 and I have bluray movies , however they are almost all bogo movies where i was able to get the bluray for as low as the dvd price.

To me the online system is much moe important and having played my fair share of both systems I can tell you that hands down the 360 online is still the best experiance and to myself and many others out there that $50 bucks less you spend for lack of bluray is more than made up for with its online service evne if it is another $30-40 bucks a year on top of the intial cost .

I don't think it's this gen that will show the clear advantage of having blue-ray,but at the beginning of next gen when MS launches it's Xbox720.
You're standing at retail looking at the next Xbox that has blue-ray and a hard drive standard for $500. You already have PS3 at home which has greatly increased dev support and it's been long paid for. I think at that point it will hold off people buying into next gen right away and extend the life of the PS3 beyond what the 360 can hope for.

Well if someone is going to spend $500 bucks (if that is the price ) and sees the diffrence between graphics in the ps3 and xbox 720 it wont matter, they will buy the xbox . The jump graphicly between the two shoudl be about the diffrence between the ps3 and xbox original. if your part of the hardcore you going to buy the xbox for its graphics and everything else is second. then at the next price drops another gorup of gamers will buy and so on and so forth .

I dont get the subject. Are we talking about a Blu Ray add on to play movies or to support games as well?

I dont think it needs it. But it wont be that bad if MS releases an add on for movies. I mean....they did it with HD-DVD. Why not with Blu Ray?

Then again, I am not sure how attractive that would be.

A newer version of 360 with a Blu Ray drive to play movies I think could absorb interest, and even if it doesnt sell as much, it could affect the image of the PS3.

MS though doesnt want to extend the use of disk based distribution. They want to hit that hard, and make everything digitally distributed and have the highest share of control in that market. I think this is one of the things they want to exploit with their entry in the console market.

Yes the ps3 is $50 dollars , has a smaller library of games , has a more expensie library of games , has no wireless n support , has poor online support and has bluray which can cost you up to $40 a movie and also has a very limited library of movies most of which are targeted at young men . it also has a so so online store and no rentals on demand by netflix .
What do you mean "has no wireless n support"?

Also the PS3 is catching up in terms of quality games and good library. The online support may not be as good as the 360's (or so they say), but so far I have never had a problem with it.

Actually I am quite thankful how easy it is to get online and enjoy gaming with friends without worrying about subscriptions and things like that.

I am no fan of BR but it certainly gets more and more support. The newest movies which are the movies people dont yet own and are interested on are being released on Blu Ray.

You lost me there, maybe clean it up and repost?

You lost me there, maybe clean it up and repost?

I'm pointing out all the thigns the ps3 lacks compared to the xbox 360. You claim that the 360 lacks bluray and thus the ps3 is an easier sale , however the 360 has many more reasons than just bluray to buy it . The numbers prove that even without bluray it sells close to the ps3 and sold much better for a longer period of time .

Bluray itself currently (and most likely wont be for awhile ) a big enough reason to pass over the pros of the 360.

What do you mean "has no wireless n support"?
Simply put , it doesn't support wireless N . Its a new standard thats much more powerfull (speed and range ) over previous wireless signals . I run a wireless n network in my house . So the ps3 to me doesn't have wireless support .

Also the PS3 is catching up in terms of quality games and good library. The online support may not be as good as the 360's (or so they say), but so far I have never had a problem with it.

Its catching up with new releases , bargin games are no where close yet . When you buy a system the price of the system is just one part of it . On the 360 I can get myself a bunch of value priced games (20-40 bucks ) that are tripple a games , the only tripple a game on the ps3 platform that i know of under $40 bucks right now is resistance and that just droped to $30 bucks .

As for online , if you haven't used live then don't bother comparing them , its like night and day. While playing dragon ball z online with a friend my other friends have to invite me and i have to leave the game (that has no voice chat ) to read the message they sent . Its really not elegent and its actually really hard to jump into games . If I do except an invite while in another game it basicly disconnects me and doesn't connect me to the new game . The 360 will prompt you for the disc of the new game . There are a ton of other problems also that is best for another thread.

Actually I am quite thankful how easy it is to get online and enjoy gaming with friends without worrying about subscriptions and things like that.

um yea , when you post on b3d do you constantly worry about your internet bill ? With xbox live ist something to worry about once a year .

I am no fan of BR but it certainly gets more and more support. The newest movies which are the movies people dont yet own and are interested on are being released on Blu Ray

Yes and they are more expensive unless your able to spend your day viewing amazon and setting up a buying schedual of new releases as some on this forum have sugested. That is hardly a casual thing .

The point is bluray needs the 360 and its not the other way around.

Well DVD was one of the reasons for ps2 starting so strong even though I don't think blu ray will do the same for the ps3 it would be wise for MS to start thinking of getting a blu ray drive inside their console to appeal to new console buyers if you ask me that might start being important next year.

Yes and they are more expensive unless your able to spend your day viewing amazon and setting up a buying schedual of new releases as some on this forum have sugested. That is hardly a casual thing .

The point is bluray needs the 360 and its not the other way around.

Fair enough, excellent online service is important to you so you are OK with paying extra for that. on the other hand, better PQ doesn't seem to be important to you and paying a premium for BR doesn't make much sense, to you.

Now, people have different priorities and movie collectors would certainly prefer buying the media that will last longer rather than the one that will be deprecated in a few years (it will happen when the studios think it's time).

Concerning software, there is no drawback in larger storage; more is more.

You haven't upgraded the firmware to 2.41?

Maybe it´s been a while since he played the last time?

Not sure if the number of games and prices relate to this thread, and i didn't even know that PS3 were more expensive than 360 games. Wireless N support? isn´t that reaching a bit?, is it even certified yet or is it still draft? Of course if you have a internet connection that will max out your wireless connection i could see the issue. But it surely beats having zero wireless support doesn´t it :)

I guess your point is that while the $50 that the PS3 costs more than the 360 it still lacks important features that make the 360 a even better purchase. So the 360 doesn´t need a Blu-Ray as another selling point.

Of course i disagree since Blu-Ray is very important for me.

Now, people have different priorities and movie collectors would certainly prefer buying the media that will last longer rather than the one that will be deprecated in a few years (it will happen when the studios think it's time).

huh? A DVD title is going to look exactly the same in a few (or twenty) years as it does now. I think the studios are probably going to disappointed with the re-release results of their back catalog. I certainly have no plans to repurchase thousands of movies. Not even in 108000p.

So the 360 doesn´t need a Blu-Ray as another selling point.

Of course i disagree since Blu-Ray is very important for me.

If MS released a blu-ray add-on would you buy one for that 360 you own? Perhaps we should take a poll of people who don't own 360s to see if they'd buy one if there was a blu-ray add on available, because selling an add doesn't really do anything for them otherwise. I think the numbers would be ridiculously small. I'm sure MS would sell some add on units (and maybe even a few more 360s), just not near enough to make the investment worth the effort.

MS would be better of taking BR money and using it towards lowering the console price, more games and an even bigger online presence. That will sell more 360's than a BR add-on could.

huh? A DVD title is going to look exactly the same in a few (or twenty) years as it does now. I think the studios are probably going to disappointed with the re-release results of their back catalog. I certainly have no plans to repurchase thousands of movies. Not even in 108000p.

Me netiher, but some will.

DVDs will look the same, but BR catalog releases come from film and depending on transfer (and how well the film has been kept) they will look at lot better than they did on DVD. It doesn't matter though, catalog releases don't sell well regardless.

To be honest though, most DVDs look like crap on todays 1080P >= 46" tvs. There isn't enough info on them for good PQ; with the exception of the few superbit releases though.

My point was that collectors, given the choice, would pay a premium for the extra quality; same way that most 360 owners are OK by paying a premium for the better online...

MS would be better of taking BR money and using it towards lowering the console price, more games and an even bigger online presence. That will sell more 360's than a BR add-on could.

The "BR Money"?, nobody is suggesting they should sell it under price and loose money. The question is if it would strengthen their line up. And it would, another check box fixed in the Console war.

The "BR Money"?, nobody is suggesting they should sell it under price and loose money. The question is if it would strengthen their line up. And it would, another check box fixed in the Console war.

The BR money of R&D/QA/Support/Marketing/BOM. The ROI isn't there. It's not going to get the masses to flock towards the 360. The games will. Just like they do on the Wii. Just like they did on the PS3 when MGS4 came out. Weird enough, many people on diff enthusiast sites generally asking for this feature already own a PS3!

The BR money of R&D/QA/Support/Marketing/BOM. The ROI isn't there. It's not going to get the masses to flock towards the 360. The games will. Just like they do on the Wii. Just like they did on the PS3 when MGS4 came out. Weird enough, many people on diff enthusiast sites generally asking for this feature already own a PS3!

They ask for a BR drive for the 360 eventhough they own a PS3?

Maybe you can link me those post, i would like to read their reasoning, i guess it´s on the AVS forum (you post there afaik).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back