Why English often change the spelling of Alphabeth inside words?

Alexko, if you disagree with PC feminist crowd you are automatically an egotistical bigot. Just look how quickly Grall jumped on you. That's why I keep my fucking mouth shut on issues like this :yep2:

Except linguists don't make language, you and I do. Language evolves together with the people speaking it based on how they use language. Spelling is relatively easy to change as kids are thought the new rules in school so they kinda pick it up naturally but that's about it. Words, grammar, that is all based on how people use their language.

I was talking specifically about spelling reforms and nothing else. They should be made to reduce inconsistencies, and past Portuguese reforms did for the most part, but there were sertain changes in some that instead of solving inconsistencies they added new ones. That, I disagree with.

I don't think the generic "she" is anywhere near as common as the generic "he". I for one find the former slightly jarring, and generally use plural pronouns as well.

Might not be. But there was a big movement starting in the 60's and 70's in education to use "she" instead of "he" for gender neutrality. It at least was a heavy focus of more "PC" writers and teachers, especially in the 80's and 90's when there was heavy backlash in the US towards anything that was male-centric. It's nice that there's been quite a softening of that attitude with "maleness" no longer being something that should be derided in many facets of American society.

That's a silly claim. Language has been deliberately, forcifully changed many times - sometimes by what some consider 'politically charged' acts. Just consider the transformation regarding the word "nigger" from a word in common parlance to what is essentially a taboo in most circumstances.

Funnily enough, in the US the word "nigger" is moving back into common parlance in many parts of the country. It's been used that way by African-Americans for quite a few years now, but they are starting to accept non-African-Americans using it as well. As well, it isn't only used to refer to a person with black or dark skin anymore. It's becoming a more generic term, similar in many ways to "Dude" or "Bro." Pronunciation is apparently important as well. Pronounced as "nigga" or "niggah" is acceptable while "nigger" or "niggar" will meet with derision and/or hostility. It's fascinating to see the use of the word evolve, although I still wince whenever I hear it. And it's still not a word I'd ever use, just like I rarely if ever use any form of expletive (fuck, shit, etc.).

Regards,
SB

Back