Why does Grand Turismo 4 look so incredibly good

tech + art are both important but i have to say ild rate tech higher

give the worlds best artists unlimited resources on a atari2600 and its still gonna look like crap.
take a radiosity renderer throw in a teapot + a couple of boxes + it looks good

Nice of you to drop in, did you ever try the WRC series?

And about RSC2, pretty much the only game that truely impressed me on the XBOX, reminds me i have to pick it up!

Indeed especially the last WRC looked brilliant. All WRC games on the PS2 had HUGE draw distances. They ahve made an incredible job on such an outdated piece of hardware

give the worlds best artists unlimited resources on a atari2600 and its still gonna look like crap.

With such a system, we could ALMOST rate a game's graphics strictly mathematically. Say, 100 points for Displacement mapping, less for parallax mapping, next to nill for normal mapping. Right? It would be awesome. So concrete!

(nevermind any kind of 'efficiency' regarding how effective the visuals are versus the tech used. It's the good ol' engineering debate, no doubt. :LOL: )

If you're talking unrealstic extremes, then sure, I'll go with that. But if the difference is one generation's worth of nVidia GPU, art will win every time.

No, that's not the one (although it's a nice one). The one I saw had the picture-in-picture completely synchronised on the track so that you saw the same thing at the same moment at all times both in game and in the real recording, and had the same weather and season conditions.

I think you may be confusing it with another Simulator (by Konami) called Enthusia or something. I remember such a video of that game

If you're talking unrealstic extremes, then sure, I'll go with that. But if the difference is one generation's worth of nVidia GPU, art will win every time.

I dont think so, considering a generation is about twice the power each time.

Consider a 6800 ULTRA versus a 7800GTX.

Or a p4 1.5ghz vs a p4 3 ghz...

repi said:
This of course makes rendering, collision, performance and memory a lot easier to manage than in a full 3D world but it can also make you feel that you are driving in a "tunnel" all the time.
Well if you're referring to graphics only (otherwise, 90% of racing games are "tunnel racers").
That said this is mostly subject of hw limits(particularly when you want to stream your courses) - typical tunnel racers of last generation (Outrun2, Burnouts) now have enough resources to render what "seems" like open enough environment, even though it never actually is.

I understand what you say about GT (and I agree, though more due to their physics then graphics). I would argue that the "tunnel" feel of their environments depends on how much optimization work needed to be done - there's some stages that were truly bad in GT3 particularly, but on the other hand you also have circuits in there that have completely open field of view.

I think the most important is:
1: Global illumination pre-process.
2: Smart shadowing.
3: 60 fps, always.

I just talking about tech :)

With such a system, we could ALMOST rate a game's graphics strictly mathematically. Say, 100 points for Displacement mapping, less for parallax mapping, next to nill for normal mapping. Right? It would be awesome. So concrete!
i realise u were taking the piss but, yes u are correct, i have in fact sort of written up a chart (lighting/shading is the single most important thing contributing ~50% of the visual quality)
WRT displacement mapping + akin hacks your ratings are distorted, parallaxmapping is only very slightly better than normalmapping (its not this amazing technique thats far superior to normalmapping myth that some ppl make it out to be)

If you're talking unrealstic extremes, then sure, I'll go with that.
true i gave both extremes of the spectrum, but in doing so it does exagerate the differences

But if the difference is one generation's worth of nVidia GPU, art will win every time.
perhaps true but then again
tnt2 ->geforce1 (from memory might ie not be true, bumpmapping + more complicated texturecombiners, hardware t+l = 10x speed in polygon count, stencil shadows etc)
it certainly gave the artists much more to work with, ie an easier job.

gross generalization follows

or ps1->ps2->ps3. even the worse games of a generation look on par with best of the previous generation.
the best from previous generation prolly would have the best programmers + artists
the worse of the current would have the worst programmers + artists
yet they look roughly equal

gross generalization follows

or ps1->ps2->ps3. even the worse games of a generation look on par with best of the previous generation.
the best from previous generation prolly would have the best programmers + artists
the worse of the current would have the worst programmers + artists
yet they look roughly equal

right, except, even if you assume this is true, they weren't discussing the technology of different hardware generations at all. They were discussing software technologies, mostly on the same platform; i.e., why does GT look so much better than other PS2 racers, and almost as good as RSC for xbox, which in turn looks better than all the other xbox racers.

Also, wrt "tunnel racers", i have to agree with repi, but not to the same extent. I can certainly stand tunnel racers -- some of them are the best racers, and of course even a game like RSC2 has its roots in "tunneling", just a bit less so -- but all things being equal, of course I'd prefer wide open environs or even just the ability to randomly and severely crash off the track, and have the camera follow a piece of my brain matter (or other parts) over to the far side of the course. ;) That said, if I had worked most of my life to perfect a more dynamic racing environment, and stared at my own game and those of my competitors for years, I'm sure I'd be more of a hardliner on the subject like repi (or countless other devs who are passionate about their game design philosophies). ;)

wrt GT4, i know this is off topic, but I just wish more people would faithfully steal their gameplay -- especially on the PC market. A proper modding-&-racing GT game with plenty of mod tools would easily be my favorite PC game ever.

Back