Beach Buggy Racing (Kart Racing) [XO, PS4]

Yes, it should - looking at versions, it did average it properly there, so may be a bug. I'll check it out.

Just because it doesn't have detailed graphics does not make it "dross".
Maybe he meant gross. :) I can tell you that the graphics look very crisp. They don't have the slightly softer -but still nice and easy on the eyes- look of 900p (that's how I feel when I switch from The Witcher 3 to Beach Buggy Racing) but they look quite nice. And the solid 60 fps makes it all the better.

Fixed a few things, will list in the techingames.net, but the score should be fixed now. I've implemented some nice OpenGraph features that will make adding URLs easier. These features are currently only enabled when adding links, but I will expand that to the Reviews at the next opportunity ...

Last edited:
I've been playing this game on a daily basis. It gets some things right. The cars behave differentnly if they are rally, sports, or a lunar vehicle. That's a nice touch because it's not all about the specs -if not, all the cars would en up being clones- but the suspension too. The races are usually fun although only 6 vehicles on screen is a bit disappointing.

Where the game doesn't shine that much is in the "alternative" game modes, with only elimination mode being actually fun. I play it a few minutes whenI can, and it's still fun overall, for a MK wannabee, that is. The daily challenges can be also interesting, when they are races or elimination mode, the other modes are just a bit uninteresting, no skill involved, just a bit of luck, patienc...

I'd score it with a 6.5, all things considered.

I bought this with Cyan's recommendation. Pretty cool game for $10. Me and my three kids were playing last night. When bed time mandated turning it off they were begging for one more game.

Is there any kind of power slide or hopping?

Correct, I make certain PC is not in the console thread titles because PC has their own forum section for games.

Which is very misleading, especially when you list Android and IOS in there (handhelds have their own forum too). Is there really that much of a problem with PC gamers being made aware this game is on their platform too? It's not as if the game is highly publicized, and most of my games knowledge comes from what people like Cyan post right here on B3D. I saw a thread for what sounded like a cool kart racing game that I might have an interest in but saw the platform listing and assumed it wasn't on PC so almost passed it over. It's only on the off chance that I looked in the thread and found out it was available on PC too. How many other games am I missing because of this policy?

Which is very misleading, especially when you list Android and IOS in there (handhelds have their own forum too). Is there really that much of a problem with PC gamers being made aware this game is on their platform too? It's not as if the game is highly publicized, and most of my games knowledge comes from what people like Cyan post right here on B3D. I saw a thread for what sounded like a cool kart racing game that I might have an interest in but saw the platform listing and assumed it wasn't on PC so almost passed it over. It's only on the off chance that I looked in the thread and found out it was available on PC too. How many other games am I missing because of this policy?

Oh, thanks for pointing that out, I'll strip out the mobile platforms from the thread titles now in this forum.

Nope, they're perfectly welcome to make threads about games available on the other platforms in the other forums.

Until there is a single merged forum for discussing games, the threads titles will reflect what content is being discussed.

Oh, thanks for pointing that out, I'll strip out the mobile platforms from the thread titles now in this forum.

Nope, they're perfectly welcome to make threads about games available on the other platforms in the other forums.

Until there is a single merged forum for discussing games, the threads titles will reflect what content is being discussed.
YES, PLEASE do that. Talk to @Rys and @Shifty Geezer and @AInets, and @Roderic, etc etc. Merge the games discussion, please. The lines are more and more blurred over time. And PC gamers always share interesting things and are very knowledgeable. Plus, the PC games forum could die at this rate if that doesn't happen.

I for one learnt a lot from people like @Malo, @homerdog and @Alphadog in the Diablo 3 thread of the PC. And they were aware I had the X1 version, yet they helped me out and there weren't quarrels.

I don't see why PC gamers and console gamers would fight in a forum like this. Plus you have very good moderators here. If anything it would just enrich the forum by sharing the point of view from each side.

You can see the example of what I mean in the Diablo 3 thread.

I bought this with Cyan's recommendation. Pretty cool game for $10. Me and my three kids were playing last night. When bed time mandated turning it off they were begging for one more game.

Is there any kind of power slide or hopping?
Coming through a curve in a full-power slide is certainly possible, you have boosters that help you out, if that's what you mean. You can power slide at every bend but there isn't a button for that, it happens depending on several factors.

As for hopping... there is a lot of jumping in the game, springs and stuff like that, and an item that lift the cars, another one inflates the tyres so much that the cars start jumping.., but there is no button for hopping.

YES, PLEASE do that. Talk to @Rys and @Shifty Geezer and @AInets, and @Roderic, etc etc. Merge the games discussion, please. The lines are more and more blurred over time. And PC gamers always share interesting things and are very knowledgeable. Plus, the PC games forum could die at this rate if that doesn't happen.
I'm sure there was a thread and poll proposing this. I am definitely opposed now because I really don't want to have to wade through the considerable discussion of how game X runs on this PC, or what graphics settings somebody is using with this CPU and GPU combinations, or how they had to tweak settings in an .ini file to do X, Y or Z. Compare the Witcher 3 thread in the PC Games section (which is exactly like this) and Console Games thread where people are talking about the game and quests.

I assumed this was why there were separate areas. PC gamers do post a lot about their experience of actually running a game, console gamers are mostly posting about playing a game. Sorry for the derail. Buggy games, WOO! etc. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus, the PC games forum could die at this rate if that doesn't happen.

Excactly. Console gamers must outnumber PC gamers two or three to one on this site and so naturally there is a larger discussion in the console thread for any given game. But you need a certain number of contibuters to keep a discussion going and once you fall below that level then a threads going to die (or more likely never get off it's feet). We see this all the time in the PC forum and so regardless of this rule trying to seperate PC and console gamers, much of the PC's gamers discussion on any given game takes plave in the consle thread anyway.

It's all well and good saying "create a Beach Buggy Racing game in the PC thread and discuss it there" but we all know full well such a thread would never ignite in the PC forum, even if someone knew the game existed on the PC in the first place to create such a thread (which is unlikely) . Ditto for the mobile forum so now you've just lost contributers from 3 platforms to a thread that was never going to have that many contributers in the first place.

It seems to me that to further alienate PC gamers from commenting in console threads (and thus taking part in game discussions altogether) by titling them in such a way as to obscure the fact that the game has even been released on the PC is harmful to the site to me. Especially since most of the tech discussions which are this sites primary focus are generally more populated by the PC gamers who take a greater interest in that side of things.

I don't see why PC gamers and console gamers would fight in a forum like this. Plus you have very good moderators here. If anything it would just enrich the forum by sharing the point of view from each side.

Agreed. I do totally take @DSoups point above (apart from the inappropriate "buggy games comment" which is exactly the type of comment that usually sparks off these unwanted vs debates) that PC gamers will tend to discuss graphics settings and performance on different hardware and tweaks, and mods etc... to a greater extend than console gamers. But if that kind of discussion does get too heavy for the console thread then as you say, the mods can easily enough break it out into a seperate "technology discussion" about the game. It's not as if those types of tech discussions don't crop up in games threads relating to consoles anyway (resolution, frame rate etc...) so just treat tech discussion about any platform as taboo in the gameplay thread (I think it already is anyway) and requiring it's own seperate thread. I accept that's probably more work for the mods though but I think it's better for the site in general.

Also, with the merging of Xbox and PC under windows 10 and the increased likelyhood of cross platform play between the two platforms as well as shared friends lists and online platfom (Xbox Live) it's making less and less sense to split the PC gamers from the Xbox gamers while grouping PS4 and Xbox gamers together.

Last edited:
I'm sure there was a thread and poll proposing this. I am definitely opposed now

Despite my lengthy post above, Im not proposing a merger of the forums at this point (although I think I'd be in favour if it were well managed). My specific gripe is simply with the misleading titles (which are a common occurence) that suggest a particular game is not available on PC when in fact it is. By all means ban PC discussion of any sort in the console threads if you think that's really for the best, but don't mislead one set of gamers into thinking their platform doesn't support a particular game by excuding it from a thread title while incuding all other platforms the game is available on. If you think it's cumbersome to write the name of every platform in the thread title, simply leave the platform part out altogether or list it as multiplatform.

Agreed. I do totally take @DSoups point above (apart from the inappropriate "buggy games comment" which is exactly the type of comment that usually sparks off these unwanted vs debates) that PC gamers will tend to discuss graphics settings and performance on different hardware and tweaks, and mods etc...
Buggy as in Beach Buggy Racing! ;)

Despite my lengthy post above, Im not proposing a merger of the forums at this point (although I think I'd be in favour if it were well managed).
That'd would work. A thread for game and gameplay discussion which is much of what now appears in the Console Games threads and a separate thread for anything else. But I feel for the mods having to work to maintain this separation.

My specific gripe is simply with the misleading titles (which are a common occurence) that suggest a particular game is not available on PC when in fact it is

Until recently, when I was creating a thread for a newly announced game I listed all the formats a game had been announced for just for information but when I created one for F1 2015 where I listed it for PC, PS4 and Xbox One, it prompted some PC discussion which I commented on (and felt like a bit of an arse for doing so!) but which Davros countered, quite reasonably, that he thought because I'd listed PC in the title among the list of platforms I was inviting comment on the PC version as well. I wasn't (and hadn't actually even thought about it) because the thread was within the Console and Console Games hierarchy I assumed it implicit that it was for console stuff.

I don't think the protocol is clear but my assumption was that gameplay discussion was welcome anywhere (Console Games, PC Games) but that PC specific discussion was intended for PC Games and console-specific implementation was intended for Console Games.

Given the choice, I'd prefer to avoid discussion of CPUs, GPUs, driver issues and mods and it's only for this reason I read and post more in the Console forums more than PC forums. Second apology for the derail. Racing Buggy games, WOO! etc. :)

Buggy as in Beach Buggy Racing! ;)

Ah got it, apologies. :D

Given the choice, I'd prefer to avoid discussion of CPUs, GPUs, driver issues and mods and it's only for this reason I read and post more in the Console forums more than PC forums.

Yep I think that's totally fair. If I recall correctly the forum did briefly flirt with having "gameplay" threads and "tech" threads for specific games (all platform agnostic) but I've not seen much of that recently. Maybe it was too much work for the mods to manage which is fair enough.

Still, if it's not feasible to merge the forums in a practical way, I'd still prefer to see a full platform listing (or simply 'multiplatform') in a thread title if a platform listing is being used as there have been a number of games that look of interest to me from the thread title which also have against them [XBO/PS4], which sometimes, means exactly that, and other times means, 'PC too, but we're just not saying'. So while I do check some to see if there is indeed a PC version, I don't check all. Ori and the Blind Forest is a great example of that. It's one of my favourite games of this year but went completely under my radar despite having at least 2 threads here, both of which listed it as an Xbox game (and both of which I will have seen from the 'New Posts' view). I ended up finding out it was on PC from Digital Foundry and then came back here and read about it in the console forum which resulted in me buying the game. That's not a dig at the guys that started those threads, I don't expect people to research every platform a game is on before starting a thread about it, but if they do know it's on a specific platform but deliberately exclude that platform from the title listing that lists the other platforms on the basis of forum policy, I don't think that's great.

Excactly. Console gamers must outnumber PC gamers two or three to one on this site and so naturally there is a larger discussion in the console thread for any given game. But you need a certain number of contibuters to keep a discussion going and once you fall below that level then a threads going to die (or more likely never get off it's feet). We see this all the time in the PC forum and so regardless of this rule trying to seperate PC and console gamers, much of the PC's gamers discussion on any given game takes plave in the consle thread anyway.

It's all well and good saying "create a Beach Buggy Racing game in the PC thread and discuss it there" but we all know full well such a thread would never ignite in the PC forum, even if someone knew the game existed on the PC in the first place to create such a thread (which is unlikely) . Ditto for the mobile forum so now you've just lost contributers from 3 platforms to a thread that was never going to have that many contributers in the first place.

It seems to me that to further alienate PC gamers from commenting in console threads (and thus taking part in game discussions altogether) by titling them in such a way as to obscure the fact that the game has even been released on the PC is harmful to the site to me. Especially since most of the tech discussions which are this sites primary focus are generally more populated by the PC gamers who take a greater interest in that side of things.

Agreed. I do totally take @DSoups point above (apart from the inappropriate "buggy games comment" which is exactly the type of comment that usually sparks off these unwanted vs debates) that PC gamers will tend to discuss graphics settings and performance on different hardware and tweaks, and mods etc... to a greater extend than console gamers. But if that kind of discussion does get too heavy for the console thread then as you say, the mods can easily enough break it out into a seperate "technology discussion" about the game. It's not as if those types of tech discussions don't crop up in games threads relating to consoles anyway (resolution, frame rate etc...) so just treat tech discussion about any platform as taboo in the gameplay thread (I think it already is anyway) and requiring it's own seperate thread. I accept that's probably more work for the mods though but I think it's better for the site in general.

Also, with the merging of Xbox and PC under windows 10 and the increased likelyhood of cross platform play between the two platforms as well as shared friends lists and online platfom (Xbox Live) it's making less and less sense to split the PC gamers from the Xbox gamers while grouping PS4 and Xbox gamers together.
I think games forums should merge, for console gamers and PC gamers alike. In my experience, PC gamers are usually very interesting people and know their stuff, plus they don't usually take sides, they are like the most neutral people of them all, and they focus on the technology and the gameplay rather than in other aspects of a game.

The idea in the end is that it would benefit the site in general. Most PC gamers don't post in the PC games area, but a merged community with successful and crowded threads would change all of that.

The Diablo 3 threads are a great example of this. I had to switch between the threads of the console version and the PC version, and it was a pita, but was worth it because PC gamers treated me nicely and helped me out. In fact it was a game changer for me, because some things they knew, aI didn't know at the time.

You have people like @Malo , @homerdog , etc etc, PC gamers that are contributing to the threads in this forum and everything is fine and peaceful.

! That'd would work. A thread for game and gameplay discussion which is much of what now appears in the Console Games threads and a separate thread for anything else. But I feel for the mods having to work to maintain this separation.
That's a great idea, actually. The inevitable framerate and resolution discussion would arise, but consoles have resolutions and framerates. And you are a big part of Beyond 3D and know it goes beyond 3D.

You enrich the forum, they enrich the forum. :)

And that's where I agree with you. I disagree with everything else you said. The poll you talk about was won by a big margin, I was asking for a direct link to the PC games forum, which is a bit barren now, not exactly a merge, but it's been a long while since the last time I've been there. I think they just let that pass, as if the poll never existed.

If something starts becoming unpopular, the snowball effect is clear, and I wouldn't want the PC games forum to die.

And I have proof that the console forums and PC games forums can coexist. I could share links, but anyways, just take a look at the posts of @Malo , @pjbliverpool , @Davros (if you know how to defend your console against his master race prestige theory, and the mods actually kept thing on check several times) , @tabs , etc etc etc etc, those are all usually fine contributions.

Had I seen in this games forum a thread about Banished -a game that you love- or even World of Warcraft I'd certainly check those, to know what's going on, or just not read them if I wasn't interested, but I think ofit as an enriching experience overall.

People like @joker454 have expressed concerns about the PC games forum being inactive. Or @ToTTenTranz maybe doest go there as ofent, just like me, and I shared news there and sfuff.

Back