Why are Mac owners generally pretentious jerks?

Lots of reasons. I think the main one is just that it'd create a mess, like with apple comps the OS can target a very small number of hardware platforms and not worry about anything else. If they opened it up they'd have to deal with a lot more. And of course they want people to buy the hardware.

Right, but it had to be hacked. If it was the best thing since sliced bread why not release it so it can work on PCs with no hack necessary.

The only thing that keeps PCs from being able to run OSX is it looks for the TPM from Apple hardware and maybe there are issues with Apple dropping legacy BIOS. Then there's the driver issue, and reliance on Intel extensions which can cause problems for AMD processors.

Really, there isn't too much preventing it from running on a PC. It's mostly driver problems, I think.

I built an Apple clone, but didn't stick with it because I couldn't reliably get updates. It was a fun little project. OSX was pretty nice from the time I had with it.

as I sit here with my desktop in Linux and my MBP in OSX, my justification is that OSX is about as good of a dev environment as Linux (some things are wonky--see my current LLVM installation as an example) without ever needing to fart with drivers ever again.

plus Adium is the best app I have ever used, probably...

I guess I'm a pretentious Unix jerk, I've been using it for 20+ years. For me, OSX represents that Unix desktop that should have been. A kick ass desktop environment, that still lets me drop down to a Unix shell.

I never used Macs prior to OSX, but I don't use PCs except for gaming since OSX. OSX is simply my ideal dev/daily environment for anything but gaming.

Oh, and my Mac Pro has a far superior industrial design than virtually any PC I can buy, including high end case mod jobs, wanna-be Antec cases, etc. If I dropped my Mac Pro on top of the majority of PC owner's desktops, it would probably crush it.

My only beef with Apple is not keeping up with top-end GPU releases, and tying expansion devices to whole-machine upgrades (e.g. You can't buy a G8x/G9x for non-PCIE 2.0 Mac Pros, instead you have to buy a new Mac Pro)

Gotta say that the best text editor I have come across (especially for development work) is a Windows based one. Notepad++, I use Crossover to be able to run Notepad++, as nothing I have seen on the Mac comes close.

CC

I guess I'm a pretentious Unix jerk, I've been using it for 20+ years. For me, OSX represents that Unix desktop that should have been. A kick ass desktop environment, that still lets me drop down to a Unix shell.

I never used Macs prior to OSX, but I don't use PCs except for gaming since OSX. OSX is simply my ideal dev/daily environment for anything but gaming.

Oh, and my Mac Pro has a far superior industrial design than virtually any PC I can buy, including high end case mod jobs, wanna-be Antec cases, etc. If I dropped my Mac Pro on top of the majority of PC owner's desktops, it would probably crush it.

My only beef with Apple is not keeping up with top-end GPU releases, and tying expansion devices to whole-machine upgrades (e.g. You can't buy a G8x/G9x for non-PCIE 2.0 Mac Pros, instead you have to buy a new Mac Pro)
Yes. Ubuntu is turning out almost as good, although they don't have the same driver support yet. It's very good and really broad, but home-brew drivers (for hardware from manufacturers that don't see *nix as worth the effort) always lag a bit.

Gotta say that the best text editor I have come across (especially for development work) is a Windows based one. Notepad++, I use Crossover to be able to run Notepad++, as nothing I have seen on the Mac comes close.

CC
I like Jed. And it's available for all distro's I used.

But I use Notepad++ exclusively under windows for just about anything.

Back