Why am I not surprised....

Photoshop is an evil tool in the hands of terrorists. We should label the good folk at Adobe "enemy combatants" and rid the world of their terrible menace!

:LOL:

But in all seriousness, this is only one instance of a person getting caught. Imagine someone with far better photoshop skills doing something like this. It's one reason why, benevolent or not, I tend to distrust 'mainstream' news unless there is a corroborative account to back it up somewhere.

I bet that instances like this occur far more than we realize....

Natoma said:
It's one reason why, benevolent or not, I tend to distrust 'mainstream' news unless there is a corroborative account to back it up somewhere.

Are you implying that you trust "non-mainstream" news more, because fabrications like this are less likely?

Agreed, unfortunately.

Joe DeFuria said:
Natoma said:
It's one reason why, benevolent or not, I tend to distrust 'mainstream' news unless there is a corroborative account to back it up somewhere.

Are you implying that you trust "non-mainstream" news more, because fabrications like this are less likely?

Nope. Just saying that I like to find sources to backup the claims that we get fed on the news. That's why I also read non-mainstream news sites as well. Together, mainstream and non-mainstream help paint a more accurate picture imo.

Joe DeFuria said:

Agreed, unfortunately.

Unfortunately because it happens far more than we realize? Or because you despise the fact that you agree with me on something for a change? ;)

How many web sites are consistantly accurate? Now translate that onto your typical broadcast/print media and you have my opinion of how far to trust them.

If you read/saw it on newspaper/TV, it must be true. :)

No one is completely objective.. it's called BIAS.. its also called the human factor... I'm BIASED just by writing this. I can't get away from it. I'm biased just be reading this topic (I don't go reading every topic). Argh... it's driving me insane dammit I'm just a yoo-man bean.

Rant over.

Well, I trust independent media less, because the "reporters" by and large, aren't even journalists, which atleast attempt to adhere to some ethics. The bloggers are outright propagandists, just watch what happens anytime Microsoft is mentioned on Slashdot, even if the story was a joke or mistake, the "editors" don't retract anything, and often, don't even LOOK for any outside comment.

Independent media is the rumor mill. A few academics will release a paper or a professor will write an essay. It gets editorialized on a few sites. That gets cited by others. And sooner or later, it gets blogged and linked to, and has filtered its way all over the indy media as fact.

Example: The EU dollar conspiracy behind the war. You can track this back to a paper put out by a marxist Indian think-tank, Rupe-India, that claims the real reason behind the war is because Iraq was going to switch to EU dollars, and that this would cascade and cause the destruction of the US economy.

Despite the nonsense economics described in this paper, it was published on many prominent "indy" media sites, regurgitated by "editors", citing the original paper. Then, on other "indy" media sites, the opinion papers cited other opinions on sister sites. All of them citing each other as confirming sources, but all essentially quoting the one paper.

Not ONE of these so-called "editors" even bothered to do any fact checking, asked no economics departments at any universities to comment, talked to no independent experts, and got no opposition commentary.

Yes, 60 Minutes, MSNBC, CNN, FOX, et al, are BIASED. However, they still make some attempt at fact checking, and they still attempt -- even if they sabotage it with bad editing -- to get opposition commentary.

I don't get that on indy media sites. What I get on indy media sites is regurgitated rumors, accusations, and essays from other sites.

Many independent media sites do not even have any field correspondents, especially the blogbased ones.

They are personal opinion masquerading as news.

Umm...who cares, he blended 2 photos together of people sitting there doing nothing. He probably just thought this was a good way to get them all in the picture or something. Why does this matter? It doesn't even have any bearing for or against the war or on anything, why would anyone even care?

If you're really that concerned about "false photos", you realize you can just dress a bunch of people up as Iraqis and just take totally fake photos. Anyway, you can spin things quite effectively by what you show and don't show, so the need to fabricate is pretty small. I just don't see what the fuss is about.

Its true this doctored photo is pretty innoculous, but if you let any of your reporters get away with it, it undermines your credibility in important situations.

Nagorak said:
Umm...who cares, he blended 2 photos together of people sitting there doing nothing....

Are you serious? First of all, the fact that you "don't care" if doctored photos are used is alarming in and of itself.

It's bad enough that we have to deal with reports with quotes taken completely out of context.

It's bad enough that we have reports with real photos taken out of context.

It just gets significnatly worse if we start editing photos to create some context that doesn't exist.

Such as this one, where the resultant "compilation" makes it look as if the soldier is one step away from opening fire on a man carrying a small child.

Please, tell me that you see a stark difference between either of the original photos, and the resultant "compilation."

He probably just thought this was a good way to get them all in the picture or something.

No, he probably wanted to create as sensatialist image as he possibly could, so he could get it published and ultimately earn more money.

Why does this matter?

Because I believe that honest and truly representative reporting was a good thing. Radical concept, maybe? :rolleyes:

How far do we take this? Is cropping allowed? How about exposure compensation? Dodge and burn? Filters?

Anyone who's a photography buff knows that the process of going from the camera to the finished print is a multistage process that allows the photographer artistic control at many points.

Two identical photos of the same scene, can have completely different moods depending on the film stock, development process, and print process.

If the photographer were to take a color photo and make a BW print, is that bad? If not, what about leaving the entire frame BW except for an explosion or a blood, which is left as red? This doesn't require digital manipulation.

What about cropping the background for a closeup, say, cutting out dead bodies? If cropping is bad, what about shooting a closeup shot using a zoom lense, that is, cropping the same scene, leaving out the dead bodies that the reporter knows is there, by using the camera to do the work.

See the problem? The "manipulation" process doesn't begin in photoshop, it begins in the eye of the photographer. Now, you may say, digital manipulation allows us to create scenes that didn't exist in the real world, but I say, film photography has allowed this to be achieved since its inception.

That's why photography is more than science, it is art.

DemoCoder said:
Two identical photos of the same scene, can have completely different moods depending on the film stock, development process, and print process.

Agreed.

That's one reason why I said it's "bad enough" that we have "legit" photos taken out of context. It's akin to taken spoken words out of context. Not much you can really do about it.

IMO, doing digital manipulation, however, crosses the line similar to writing "lies", or claiming somone made a specific statement that was never made.

To answer your question: no, I don't see any major difference in mood/effect as a result of the combined photo.

There are so many other ways to spin things, including zoom, cropping, etc, that it's just ridiculous to even make a big deal about this.

For that matter, unless you force reporters to publish every piece of film in their camera, how can you be sure you're getting the big picture? Maybe every other picture was a dead body, or someone waving an American flag. Given that content in your camera you could spin it either way. Digitial editing of photos is an infintesimal concern in relation.

The bottomline is you have to trust your news sources. Or, better yet, listen to more than one.

By the way, from the topic name, you're implying the LA times is trying to spin this somehow. If they really wanted to put a spin on it, they would have just used the second picture which has the soldier pointing his weapon toward the man with the baby, in a somewhat threatening manner. If anything they doctored in the "good intentions" of the troops. But, really, the first photo is so similar to the second, that they could have just used that. I just don't see much of a difference worth mentioning.

Nagorak said:
To answer your question: no, I don't see any major difference in mood/effect as a result of the combined photo.

Well, I simply disagree with you.

For that matter, unless you force reporters to publish every piece of film in their camera, how can you be sure you're getting the big picture?

Sigh. I can't. No more than I can force reporters to not take snippets of speeches without relaying the big picture.

The bottomline is you have to trust your news sources. Or, better yet, listen to more than one.

Agreed. But I should NOT have to wonder if either

1) A Quote is falsified
2) A Photo is falsified.

Where do YOU draw the line? I draw it at making blatantly false statements, and actively changing a photographs.

By the way, from the topic name, you're implying the LA times is trying to spin this somehow.

I'm not implying anything. Read what I wrote. I would have LIKED to have see the article surrounding this picture (or at least the caption), at which point I COULD judge if there was being spin applied.

Back