Who will win in terms of marketing this generation?

Who will make more profit this generation?

• Total voters
Sxotty said:
I traded my 9800pro to my brother in law to have him watch my dog for a 2 weeks. He gave me a geforce2 mx so I can use my computer till I upgrade(I still have a tnt2 ultra but that is quite a ways back).
You value your dog more than your graphics card? What kind of screwed up moral system do you have? :LOL: I say, shoot the damn mutt!

ET said:
You value your dog more than your graphics card? What kind of screwed up moral system do you have? :LOL: I say, shoot the damn mutt!
I haven't really read this thread but since I sometimes blame my video card for a particular problem when programming and call it a bitch, which one did you exactly prefer I shoot, any of my 3 dogs or my video card?

I voted ATI because it is quite apparent that ATI spent much less than Nvidia in getting these products out the door. Considering the performance parity and ATI's reputation and current OEM partners ATI's sales should be very good and so should their profit margin.

agreed. especially as they have the PCI-E version of last gen's 5200 out of the door first (the X300). I guess the 5200 was nVidia's biggest GPU money earner last gen?

agreed, but i see a lot of people saying on my main game forum, one game one engine, DX9 is the future still, so not as frenzied as I thought.

Quitch said:
I think the Doom 3 benches are going to be a real boost to nVidia's cause.

Problem is (a) Nvidia cards are still hard to come by (b) Nvidia is really crucifying themselves on profit margin with the GT. It's a great deal because Nvidia is heavily subsidising it's price to gain market share.

Given the recent info on how Nvidia were hiding costs (such as share options) that if included would have wiped out most of their profit, it's got to hurt their bottom line to be selling the GT at such a low price.

D3 benches and the GT may "boost Nvidia's cause" in the short term market share, but ATI will still be raking in the cash while Nvidia is cutting off it's nose to spite it's face.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Quitch said:

Problem is (a) Nvidia cards are still hard to come by (b) Nvidia is really crucifying themselves on profit margin with the GT. It's a great deal because Nvidia is heavily subsidising it's price to gain market share.

Given the recent info on how Nvidia were hiding costs (such as share options) that if included would have wiped out most of their profit, it's got to hurt their bottom line to be selling the GT at such a low price.

D3 benches and the GT may "boost Nvidia's cause" in the short term market share, but ATI will still be raking in the cash while Nvidia is cutting off it's nose to spite it's face.

links to nvidias nv40 margins?

Johnny Rotten said:
links to nvidias nv40 margins?

Company confidential, but if you read between the lines at the financial conference calls, and look at the poor chip availability, there's no doubt that Nvidia is spending loads of money on the GT to get market share. Remember Nvidia stated they would do whatever it takes to get back on top this generation. Price/profit cutting was always on the cards, but it's neither desirable or sustainable for any company.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Quitch said:

In response to A, so are ATI XT PEs.

Voted NV 'cause Doom3 beat HL2 timewise.

I don't care too much about Doom3, but nearly every gamer does, so it might be the 6800's breakthrough app.

Each day delay for HL2 will make this worse for Ati.

However, anyone who knows anything, or knows anyone who knows anything, knows that the GT is much better value.

Knows knows knows ;)

Quitch said:
However, anyone who knows anything, or knows anyone who knows anything, knows that the GT is much better value.

Knows knows knows ;)

Yes, because Nvidia are heavily subsidising it's retail price to gain market share as I said a couple of posts above. The price/performance ratio of the GT is excellent, because that price is artificially low. Nvidia is taking pain on the GT profit margin in the hope of getting marketshare and mindshare back after a couple of dire years. Nvidia are effectively using a high end card to gain the midrange market. Good for the customer, bad for Nvidia that they are having to do that.

Back