Who will win in terms of marketing this generation?

Who will make more profit this generation?

• Total voters

pat777

Newcomer
I'm making this poll to keep the thread about Humus' demo on topic. I think nForce 3 may significantly help nVIDIA in OEM but the lack of PCIe OEM will still hurt. ATI looks popular with OEMs now. I don't know.

In france, Dell for exemple, removed all the 5200 of their pc offer and changed them for X300 se. And now put ATI on their website as Company to choose. Quite a huge change.

PatrickL said:
In france, Dell for exemple, removed all the 5200 of there pc offer and changed them for X300 se. And now put ATI on their website as Company to choose. Quite a huge change.
I think Intel dominating the OEM market will make having the OEM advantage to nVIDIA much smaller. I don't expect ATI to dominate the OEM market like nVIDIA once did. I expect Intel to do that. ATI and nVIDIA need to make integrated chipsets to fight for OEMs. I think integrated GPUs are what OEMs look forward to the most.

Alstrong said:
What does the X300 have over the 5200 that Dell would choose the X300?

Native pci-e? It would allow Dell to offer the same solution across their entire lineup, keeping their support costs generally down. I wouldn't be surprised if Dell expects by the end of the year to be selling more pci-e boxes than agp.

OEM consideration may well come down to a very small difference (pennies) in price.

Nvidias marketing is so good that I traded my 9800 pro for a geforce2 mx.. I actually did

Well that and someone taking my dog for two weeks, and now I just have to buy a new video card a 6800gt or x800pro poor me eh :p

Alstrong said:
It can't be just PCIE, or they may as well have grabbed the PCX5300. The X300 is a real DX9 card, though I don't know how much that concerns Dell. Lower prices perhaps, wafers of 0.11u budget chips must be dirt cheap to churn out. Are they top-to-bottom ATI now? That might've provided some financial incentive.

Nvidias marketing is so good that I traded my 9800 pro for a geforce2 mx.. I actually did

You're kidding right?

It can't be just PCIE, or they may as well have grabbed the PCX5300. The X300 is a real DX9 card, though I don't know how much that concerns Dell. Lower prices perhaps, wafers of 0.11u budget chips must be dirt cheap to churn out. Are they top-to-bottom ATI now? That might've provided some financial incentive.

Besides some of the given comments, consider the fact that ATI does have a top-to-bottom solution for every AGP part (X800, X600, X300) ( I believe there are PCI-X solutions as well). NVidia lacks this (unless someone shows otherwise. NVidia does have high-midstream hardware. Nothing "replaces" their low end hardware (5200 has variations now, but no low-end derivative of the 6800)

Also consider the fact that ATI does have major OEM support for their PCI-X solutions. This and coupling the fact that NVidia has no 6800 low-end derivative, it should give ATI (and Dell) a marketing advantage.

Besides, I don't think we'll see the last of the 5200 series. It's another MX/Vanta to forget.

Deathlike2 said:
Besides some of the given comments, consider the fact that ATI does have a top-to-bottom solution for every AGP part (X800, X600, X300) ( I believe there are PCI-X solutions as well). NVidia lacks this (unless someone shows otherwise. NVidia does have high-midstream hardware. Nothing "replaces" their low end hardware (5200 has variations now, but no low-end derivative of the 6800)
Not sure what you're getting at. Both companies have a high end part on the new architecture (6800 and X800) in both AGP and PCIE (not PCI-X) form. Both companies have previous generation AGP parts (FX5200/5500/5600/5700/59x0, 9200/9550/9600/9800), both companies have previous generation PCIE parts (PCX5300/5750/5900, X300/X600).
Deathlike2 said:
coupling the fact that NVidia has no 6800 low-end derivative
ATI have no X800 low-end derivative either, the X300 and X600 are R3x0 parts.

Not sure what you're getting at. Both companies have a high end part on the new architecture (6800 and X800) in both AGP and PCIE (not PCI-X) form. Both companies have previous generation AGP parts (FX5200/5500/5600/5700/59x0, 9200/9550/9600/9800), both companies have previous generation PCIE parts (PCX5300/5750/5900, X300/X600

ati should have native pci-e across the board which will be cheaper to make then the current nvidia pci-e cards which have a seprate bridge chip and the nv45 which has it on the same package .

I would laso expect the oems to love the x800xt as it takes up one slot and less power than the 6800ultra .

Oems love to be cheap. I've seen dells with 1 fan and a heatsink fan and thats it (with a 9700pro inside of it so it was not a cheap model)

nVidia will sell on SM 3, while ATI will probably tout native PCI-E. PCI-E is a going to happen, SM 3 may happen soon, maybe not, might be big, might not, might always lead to big gains, might be only big gains when nVidia help...

I'm going to say ATI because I think they're on the safer ground, that and the fact that they use only one slot and one power connector (doesn't matter if the Ultra needs the second one, it's there and it will scare people).

By the way JVD I realize they can be had at not ridiculous prices, I will be gone till august (leaving in a few days) so I will hold off till then. My goal is to get a card for <$300 just because that is what I think it a reasonable price, if they are both still over that though I am sure I will succumb to it.

Sxotty said:
By the way JVD I realize they can be had at not ridiculous prices, I will be gone till august (leaving in a few days) so I will hold off till then. My goal is to get a card for <$300 just because that is what I think it a reasonable price, if they are both still over that though I am sure I will succumb to it.

It all dependso n what you want to do with it .

IF you have a current dx 9 card like the r3x0 line or even a very high end fx card I wouldn't jump to the 300-400$ cards . I would scratch a little more and get the x800xt pe for 450$ at gateway .

Not sure what you're getting at. Both companies have a high end part on the new architecture (6800 and X800) in both AGP and PCIE (not PCI-X) form. Both companies have previous generation AGP parts (FX5200/5500/5600/5700/59x0, 9200/9550/9600/9800), both companies have previous generation PCIE parts (PCX5300/5750/5900, X300/X600).

My bad...

ATI have no X800 low-end derivative either, the X300 and X600 are R3x0 parts.

Well, having them as derivatives of the R3xx series is good thing, as we know that the R3xx solution is generally more powerful than an NV3x solution.

If you think about it, the inability of NVidia of getting their 6800 hardware out at the rate ATI is doing (effectively giving NVidia a paper-launch like start)... this can suade OEMs to choose the solution that will be the most readily available.

Price is more of a factor for OEMs, but performance can affect this decision. Marketing can easily since the X300/X600 is a derivative of the 9800, that it could sell better.

I'm still disgusted with the PCI-X equivalent of a 5200/9200 is going to be sold though.

jvd, this is my situation.

I traded my 9800pro to my brother in law to have him watch my dog for a 2 weeks. He gave me a geforce2 mx so I can use my computer till I upgrade(I still have a tnt2 ultra but that is quite a ways back).

Thus I do not have even a DX8 card in this computer at the moment.

I plan to buy a video card in august, then I will buy a whole new setup in january. I had orignially planned to get a new setup in august and keep my old one, however neither amd or intel have ramped things up as I was hoping to make the prices drop and so forth. I wanted to get a socket 939 board instead of the 754, but as of now there are no reasonably priced CPU's on it.

Thats a problem.

Either hold out and get pci-e all around

or scratch up some money now and get a x800xt athlon 64 3000+ system.

I will run about 700$ for the card , chip , mobo and prob ram.

I just made the update. My a64 is hitting 2.5 ghz from stock of 2.0 ghz

Back