Who will win in terms of marketing this generation?

Who will make more profit this generation?

• Total voters
The fact that virtually every game you buy has the Nvidia logo on and the WIMTBP splash cannot be underestimated in the marketing wars (since many consumers care little for technical minutiae) . In this respect Nvidia totally dominate ATI.

Fodder said:
both companies have previous generation PCIE parts (PCX5300/5750/5900, X300/X600).

Do they? Does NVIDIA really have these PCIe chips available? IIRC ATI already has the X300 out and about. Haven't heard anything about NVIDIA's PCIe parts. If ATI chips have better availability, that will be a factor in OEM adoption.

ET said:
Do they? Does NVIDIA really have these PCIe chips available?
The Gigabyte PCX5900/PCX5750 and Albatron PCX5750 are available in retail here in Australia, and I've seen the PCX5750 on Akiba so it's for sale in Japan. If they're here, I'd be very surprised if they weren't around in Europe and the US.

Why does the X600 on the French link claim support for ogl 1.5?
My radeon 9800pro said it had ogl 2.0....
?

nvidia will probably keep pushing twimtbp more than ever nowadays, and they'll probably be rather successful at that. If huddy's to be believed, gitg is more of a backstage operation rather than a large marketing effort.

As for OEMs though, I have a feeling that OEMs not completely dedicated to gaming will probably prefer ATI parts. The lack of a bridge chip might let ati undercut nvidia a little bit on each card, which adds up for places like dell.

The X800XTPE is still in pretty limited availability it seems, but the 6800u even more so.

ET said:
Fodder said:
both companies have previous generation PCIE parts (PCX5300/5750/5900, X300/X600).

Do they? Does NVIDIA really have these PCIe chips available? IIRC ATI already has the X300 out and about. Haven't heard anything about NVIDIA's PCIe parts. If ATI chips have better availability, that will be a factor in OEM adoption.

They have Quadro PCI-E parts out for OEMs.

X300 is identical to X600, apart from the fact one is on 110nm and the other on 130nm low-k. Ergo, X300 is DX9 compliant.

Evildeus said:
Well, it seems i'm completly messed up with the Ati line ATM. What's the name of the 9000-9200 line?

Ati does not have a DX8.1 (or lower) line for PCIe (not yet at least).

9000-9200!

The X series, apart from R420, are all the PCIe boards - all of these are DX9 capable. The DX8.1 class chips have not, and almost certainly will not, be brought over to PCIe. There has been a new low end DX8.1 board launched called 9250, based on RV280, which will probably replace 9200 as an MX4000 competitor

Back