Who should buy what studios for what purpose? *splat*

How's Legend of Dragoon being elevated right now? What was Medievil's PS4 remakes metacritic score again? Twisted Metal is being turned into a who starring whom?

I'm kidding of course. Except about Twisted Metal. And Dragoon.

And Medieval.
Honestly speaking, Unless Medieval is rebooted I dont think there is much that can be done. Twisted Metal is in the niche category. The genre alone has lost steam.
I havent played Legend of Dragoon, but based on what I know of that game, its a shame they completely abandoned it despite its huge success from what I ve heard.
I would say Dragoon was the biggest negligence they ever did with a franchise.

But then we have Killzone, which started as a buggy mediocrity and ended up being a technical masterpiece spanning 3 sequels. Guerilla from a nobody studio became a juggernaut of excellence bringing us another franchise the Horizon. We have Gran Turismo becoming quite possibly the highest selling sim generating its own eSport and spreading to a racing academy. On PS we got probably the most polished and best Spider Man game we ever had. So good that Spider Man games are associated with Playstation. As a game the franchise was slowly dying prior to Sony. We have GoW turning from a generic hack and slash to one of the greatest adventures and system sellers. We have Rachet and Clank still going and becoming a technical showcase on PS5. Uncharted started from a good game and became another masterpiece that put PS3 above what the 360 was doing with Gears. We got TLOU series having such a huge impact that it is probably one of the most anticipated franchises to reach a TV series which is currently soaring in good reviews.
We saw Sony also insisting and trying to give a chance to old franchises like Wipeout, which was highly polished, with it's only downside being very hardcore for the casual market and belonging in a difficult genre.

I think Sony has what it takes to make franchises like Silent Hill, MGS and Castlevania huge. Konami cant take their own eyes out with these franchises. They ruined Silent Hill by handing it over to teams that didnt understand the franchise, they came up with garbage like MGS Survive that pissed of its audience, Castlevania has been pretty much abandoned and 2 became a mediocrity.

Look at what MS did with their own franchises on the other hand. Halo was originally one of the biggest and most anticipated franchises. Followed by Gears of War. They diluted them so much, that they are lost in the crowd. Gears of War was originally the reason I was joining the XBOX camp. And they, literally (along with Halo) bored me to death at the end of the PS360 generation. Every franchise they touched minus maybe Forza, has either died or lost its original appeal

Who: Microsoft
What studio: Ubisoft, because it lost 38% of its value falling from about 8B to about 5B
Should buy: at 10B, because Microsoft
What purpose: to give me a new real nextgen high budget Far Cry

What studio: Ubisoft, because it lost 38% of its value falling from about 8B to about 5B
High budget Far Cry Primal. Rest is garbage

Don't think Ubisoft makes sense. They have very very few games releasing and really high over head.

I also think that MS is looking for Movie studios. My thoughts are that Discovery/Warner is ripe for the picking as it has a ton of great ip has a really popular streaming platform in hbo and has a few video game studios.

Disney is another option as its a total mess right now but I think that would face a ton of road blocks in getting approved.

The western part was already sold off to Embracer. There's nothing left to separate.

Ah, didn't know. Embracer+UBI to MS, Square to Sony.

Don't think Ubisoft makes sense. They have very very few games releasing and really high over head.

I also think that MS is looking for Movie studios. My thoughts are that Discovery/Warner is ripe for the picking as it has a ton of great ip has a really popular streaming platform in hbo and has a few video game studios.

Disney is another option as its a total mess right now but I think that would face a ton of road blocks in getting approved.

UBI owns Massive which did Division, Division2 and currently works on a Star Wars title. IMHO these games were pretty good in the really difficult parts but lacked a little bit polishing to iron out some quirks. These games also managed to create an immersive atmosphere without cheap videos telling you the narrative. If their SW game is on that level I will instantly get it.

UBI owns Massive which did Division, Division2 and currently works on a Star Wars title. IMHO these games were pretty good in the really difficult parts but lacked a little bit polishing to iron out some quirks. These games also managed to create an immersive atmosphere without cheap videos telling you the narrative. If their SW game is on that level I will instantly get it.

The only interesting thing is the starwars game and ubi doesn't own the IP. Division never set the world on fire and MS already has a ton of FPS ip. Halo , Gears , Doom, Wolfenstien , Rage, Quake and I am sure I am missing some.

Warner/Discovery has a 31B market cap. Gets MS into markets it doesn't have a foot in .

The only thing that Ubi has going for it is that it be cheap. But doesn't another company own a bunch of ubisoft and is trying to take it over ?

The only interesting thing is the starwars game and ubi doesn't own the IP. Division never set the world on fire and MS already has a ton of FPS ip. Halo , Gears , Doom, Wolfenstien , Rage, Quake and I am sure I am missing some.

Warner/Discovery has a 31B market cap. Gets MS into markets it doesn't have a foot in .

The only thing that Ubi has going for it is that it be cheap. But doesn't another company own a bunch of ubisoft and is trying to take it over ?

Division is a 3rd person, open world multi-player game. Probably the closest to Destiny in its general approach while not being FPS. None of the games you list compares to it.

Division is a 3rd person, open world multi-player game. Probably the closest to Destiny in its general approach while not being FPS. None of the games you list compares to it.
So gears but open world ? Dunno doesn't seem like the game does that great. Also seems like something MS can put together really quickly on their end

So gears but open world ? Dunno doesn't seem like the game does that great. Also seems like something MS can put together really quickly on their end
Why havent they made any other successful game in general, besides the same old, like so many other devs did then?

But with a loot system unlike Gears. I wish there was a better game like The Division, honestly.

But with a loot system unlike Gears. I wish there was a better game like The Division, honestly.
Alright but at the end of the day we are talking about two games here. A starwars game that isn't even out set and the IP is owned by Disney. The division which seems to be a medium success. MS would still get all the over head of ubisoft which just canceled a bunch of games , seems to be tied to Korea for game funding and is required to release a game that has been in dev years for almost a star citizen.

I really don't see what of value if anything ubisoft really has. For that type of money ms could just buy a bunch of smaller devs and put them on a divison type game.

Alright but at the end of the day we are talking about two games here. A starwars game that isn't even out set and the IP is owned by Disney. The division which seems to be a medium success. MS would still get all the over head of ubisoft which just canceled a bunch of games , seems to be tied to Korea for game funding and is required to release a game that has been in dev years for almost a star citizen.

I really don't see what of value if anything ubisoft really has. For that type of money ms could just buy a bunch of smaller devs and put them on a divison type game.
Ubisoft IP still has a value, I think. They own the Tom Clancy name and rights to many of his characters and franchises. Assassin's Creed and FarCry are also games that have enough name recognition to be significant, not to mention stuff like Rayman (and Rabbids), Just Dance, Trackmania, Prince of Persia, and Watch Dogs. They also maintain a portfolio of game engines (Disrupt, Dunia, Snowdrop, Ubiart Framework and Anvil), and have a stake in some movies and TV shows including some based on their games and IPs.

I'm not advocating that anyone buy them, just that they do have a pretty solid portfolio of games across genres, a bunch of studios, plus technology and tools. Look at their list of subsidiaries. They have more support studios than the average publisher.

Ubisoft IP still has a value, I think. They own the Tom Clancy name and rights to many of his characters and franchises. Assassin's Creed and FarCry are also games that have enough name recognition to be significant, not to mention stuff like Rayman (and Rabbids), Just Dance, Trackmania, Prince of Persia, and Watch Dogs. They also maintain a portfolio of game engines (Disrupt, Dunia, Snowdrop, Ubiart Framework and Anvil), and have a stake in some movies and TV shows including some based on their games and IPs.

I'm not advocating that anyone buy them, just that they do have a pretty solid portfolio of games across genres, a bunch of studios, plus technology and tools. Look at their list of subsidiaries. They have more support studios than the average publisher.
oh no doubt they have a lot of dormant IP that is great. But MS has that too esp when adding in Zenimax and Activison/ Blizzard. If Ms or another company bought Ubisoft they would have to either move teams already working on stuff to those IPs or create new teams. You are still looking at half a decade or more before any of them would be ready. Meanwhile ms could buy a lot of small dev teams with the ubi money and just put them on dormant IPs they already have.

With Activsion they at least get a bunch of games making a lot of money. COD and WOW make a lot then all of king games make a lot each year.

I dunno.

I still say them buying Warner/Discover is the smartest play for Microsoft. Over night they go from zero Movie/tv presence to having Discovery app and HBO max /+ . They get a ton of movie/tv IP with a deep library , they get DC comics with a huge amount of IP , they get multiple video game IP as well as a few studios.

Discovery/ HBO would pair well with Game pass as a bundle of services.

oh no doubt they have a lot of dormant IP that is great. But MS has that too esp when adding in Zenimax and Activison/ Blizzard. If Ms or another company bought Ubisoft they would have to either move teams already working on stuff to those IPs or create new teams. You are still looking at half a decade or more before any of them would be ready. Meanwhile ms could buy a lot of small dev teams with the ubi money and just put them on dormant IPs they already have.

With Activsion they at least get a bunch of games making a lot of money. COD and WOW make a lot then all of king games make a lot each year.

I dunno.

I still say them buying Warner/Discover is the smartest play for Microsoft. Over night they go from zero Movie/tv presence to having Discovery app and HBO max /+ . They get a ton of movie/tv IP with a deep library , they get DC comics with a huge amount of IP , they get multiple video game IP as well as a few studios.

Discovery/ HBO would pair well with Game pass as a bundle of services.
Oh, yeah. Ubi hasn't got the library of IP that Activision has. But I would say they are probably on par Zenimax overall.

I'm not sure Warner/Discovery is for sale. But Subway is, if they want to get into the sandwich game.

No not really. Comparison to destiny 2 is the best imo. It’s good looter shooter rpg quest alike action game. From all recent ubi games I liked division 2 the most. It has potential and ubi has showed that they can create interesting open world games. I think it would be great addition to msft portfolio. They need good management and ironically everyone is blaming msft for bad management. So I don’t know if msft would be the best home for ubi. Perhaps Sony.

Oh, yeah. Ubi hasn't got the library of IP that Activision has. But I would say they are probably on par Zenimax overall.

I'm not sure Warner/Discovery is for sale. But Subway is, if they want to get into the sandwich game.
Warner/ Discovery is burden with debt and are making large cuts. I am sure they would sell with a good enough bid.

They can make a sandwich with extra avocado and call it Series A

Why subway, Jersey mikes is the best chain sandwich game.

Back