Who Killed PC Audio

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Davros, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It depends. I've owned one in the past, and my impressions were that it couldn't touch even a cheap set of 5.1 computer speakers WRT audio location. It was better WRT standard stereo headphones WRT audio location obviously, but it wasn't something that was worth the price premium to me. The effect was pretty weak.

Regards,
    SB

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

BRiT likes this.
  3. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Honestly, saying multidriver headphones are gimmicks because HRTF exists is about the same as saying cheap 5.1/7.1 speaker setups are gimmicks because cheap soundbars exist.

I really liked the horizontal positioning and they're untouched in that department IMO. I didn't like the fact that the drivers and circuits were rather low-quality ones (the wires in that pic of the Kave's teardown doesn't inspire much confidence, does it?) so they weren't good for anything other than games, more specifically first or 3rd-person.
    HRTF/BRTF practically disappeared with Vista and all we've had until recently was XAudio2, which is little more than horizontal positioning distributed for 2, 5 or 7 speakers. For these cases, I do think multi-driver headphones presented the next best possible thing.

On the horizontal plane, they're set at about the same angle as a 5.1 surround set would ideally be. Speakers can't be exactly on-axis either on all but very rare purist setups.
    These are 80-200€ headphones so don't expect them to perfectly match all kinds of ears like a professionally assembled speaker setup.

Define "cheap".
    Cheap as in a Z906 set (meaning you're comparing different price points) or cheap cheap like this thing? I can assure you these phones are a lot better than the later.

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Cheap as in

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003WJR482/?tag=b3d-21

That's what I'm currently using. I had the Logitech Z-5500's (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0006HBCL8/?tag=b3d-21) prior to my current ones. Positional audio is the same with both. Audio fidelity is definitely a step down from the Z-5500's, however.

Regards,
    SB

5. xz321zx

Newcomer

Without a doubt off-axis perfomance can be made good, but can it be seamless, so individual drivers just disappear .

In speaker world, good off-axis became a measure of high perfomance (because uncolored reflections, but also some deliberately listen off-axis and there is even a word for that "toe-in" ).

#85 xz321zx, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  6. Rurouni

Veteran

I don't know if this has been answered, but on my current Kaveri rig, I can choose the audio output independenty, as in I plug dvi (as hdmi with audio) to my main TV and hdmi to my monitor and I need to choose which one that will output audio. Actually, I would like the ability to have several audio output devices active at the same time so I don't need to switch audio output all the time.

ToTTenTranz likes this.
  7. xz321zx

Newcomer

8. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

I had tried this approach and found that maintaining A/V sync was too much of a problem.

9. Rurouni

Veteran

I have zero sync issue, but I don't have a receiver in between. Everything works perfectly.

10. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

You output audio to the tv while viewing video on the monitor or the opposite?

11. Rurouni

Veteran

I test both and I didn't feel any sync issue. Maybe I'm not really sensitive to A/V sync issue? Probably if the TV have much bigger input lag than the monitor I can imagine there'll be a more noticeable sync issue.

12. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

So much to read :x. Anyway in my opinion what killed PC audio were the 50 dollars USB DACs that are good enough for any user without 2k passive speakers, the active speakers quality and the silliness of spending hundreds of dollars into a sound card that is just a very good marketed DAC.

In this world buy logitech, genius or any PC related brand(god even boss) is a waste of money, there are so many really good speakers out there that offer insanely good sound for example the JBL 305 for little more than 200 dollars you have a real high end setup with insame clarity, frequency response and a 110Dbs 45hz bass that would destroy ur ears while sounding good doing it.

If the 305 are too big for you(they are not small speakers) there are other alternative but you would need a Sub because small speakers cannot output low Freq. unless you get something like the LS50 with its 1k price tag.

In headphones multi driver are just marketing crap, there is not a single multi driver high end headphone in the world, its much much worse to have multiple cheap and small drivers and use software to "coordinate" them, in marketing it looks great in reality it sounds bad. The sony MDRV6 are only 90 bucks and sounds better than any "gaming" headphones(they were made in the 90s and they are still use to master audio in professional studios).

So what killed PC audio was just the good, better and cheaper alternative of the "general" audio. Maybe with VR and the use of highly sophisticated DSP to do audio calculations for fidelity and positioning PC audio could comeback but even then the hardware, speakers and headphones will still be better outside the "PC world" where you pay more for the marketing spends than the engineering ones.

green.pixel likes this.