Which HDD to install Games???

slapnutz

Regular
Ok i've got 2 SATA HDD. These are NOT in any Raid configs, simply master and secondary. Basically the "C:" O/S and programs... and "D:" is pure data storage.

Does it matter which drive i should install games on?

Cheers.

(no partitions on either)

Well I prefer installing all games on a seperate drive from my windows install for performance reasons as well as I hate having reinstall/ backup stuff for formats.
With my curent setup all I gotta do is install my mail/ office programs aswell as those pesky programs that need registry info.
I like it tho.
When I wanna format windows I take maybe 10 minutes to back stuff up and I'm set.
Though if your windows drive is much faster I'd use it.

What exactly performance benefits would you even get? Once a game is loaded it shouldnt be hitting your hard drive, so I see none there. Loading? Very minor difference if one at all.

It reminds me of people who partition their HDs into 5 different sections for whatever mystical reasons.

What exactly performance benefits would you even get? Once a game is loaded it shouldnt be hitting your hard drive, so I see none there. Loading? Very minor difference if one at all.

It reminds me of people who partition their HDs into 5 different sections for whatever mystical reasons.
Pagefile hits ;).
With the game on a seperate drive then the windows install you'll get better performance assuming he has the pagefile on his boot drive.

On the one that doesn't contain your OS. Put the big pagefile on a separate drive from both of those, if you can. :)

Pagefile hits ;).
With the game on a seperate drive then the windows install you'll get better performance assuming he has the pagefile on his boot drive.

Ahh, hadnt thought of that, though I do not keep my pagefile on my OS HD.

Ahh, hadnt thought of that, though I do not keep my pagefile on my OS HD.
Well I only got 2 hdds since my other drive died a few months ago :(
Before that I had it on a seperate drive but since I got one drive to boot off and one drive for data storage I didn't think it made sense.
I'm gonna buy a new HDD pretty soon though, I'll wait untill I see good deal for a hdd around 160GB.
SATA too :smile:

Here in Norway, the HDD price/size sweetspot is 250 GB. I wouldn't buy a drive smaller than 200 GB now.

Games definitely on the other drive/partition, since after a windows reinstall you won't need to reinstall many of them (some do have additional crap in the registry or on the C drive, but that's rather an exception).

Games definitely on the other drive/partition, since after a windows reinstall you won't need to reinstall many of them (some do have additional crap in the registry or on the C drive, but that's rather an exception).

Some game have awesome installers that don't recopy files already in place and just redo the registry/start menu stuff. FEAR Combat's installer did this and Thief 3's installer did this. I am 100% certain that FEAR Combat uses Installshield 11, can't remember what Thief 3 used but it was probably 10.

Some game have awesome installers that don't recopy files already in place and just redo the registry/start menu stuff. FEAR Combat's installer did this and Thief 3's installer did this. I am 100% certain that FEAR Combat uses Installshield 11, can't remember what Thief 3 used but it was probably 10.

Well that's still more work then no work at all, isn't it? :) I'm a lazy bastard...

Back