which CPU?--I need your help...NOW!!!

micky

Newcomer
Which do I get?

Sempron 3100

or

Athlon 64 2800

Both are approximately same price. Going to be used only for gaming but with no intention of upgrading in near future, so what will be best for now and the next year or so.

Any issues I should know about?

They both run at 1.8 GHz, but the Athlon64 has more cache and supports 64-bit operation, and should as such be both more future-proof and noticeably faster.

As for why the Sempron has an apparently higher performance rating, even though it performs worse: the Athlon64 is performance rated against the Pentium4, while the Sempron is performance rated against the Celeron.

Arjan de Lumens is right. Though, what socket does the Sempron use ?
The A2800 uses S754 I think... so it's not so future-proof as CPUs that use S939...

Not too bothered (you read that correctly) about the future possibility.

Chances are it will be a very long time before more upgrades happen, so want to get it right now, but within my budget.

So basically it will be one of these chips but I'm swaying towards the Athlon 64

Just want to know what will give the biggest punch/reliability/etc etc out of these two.

Stupid question but will I have any probs with using a 64 CPU with old games I have?

arjan de lumens said:
Sempron 3100 uses socket754 too.

Yeah, thanks. I wasn't sure, because there are some Sempron based on the old Socket A. And the AMD website is note very helpful in that regard.

micky said:
Not too bothered (you read that correctly) about the future possibility.

Chances are it will be a very long time before more upgrades happen, so want to get it right now, but within my budget.

So basically it will be one of these chips but I'm swaying towards the Athlon 64

Just want to know what will give the biggest punch/reliability/etc etc out of these two.

Go for the Athlon64.

micky said:
Stupid question but will I have any probs with using a 64 CPU with old games I have?

No, AMD64 tech is fully compatible with older stuff (IA32). that's why you can run the "vanilla-flavour" of Windows (32bits) on it without a hassle.

you know, the A64 3000+ 939s are out for $155 at Newegg. just ordered one for a machine that I'm going to build for a guy I know.

cristic said:
micky said:

No, AMD64 tech is fully compatible with older stuff (IA32). that's why you can run the "vanilla-flavour" of Windows (32bits) on it without a hassle.

And can i add, not only without hassle, it also happens to be much faster than the competition.

I vote Sempron 3100. I have mine running at 2250MHz, and it screams. And 64bit? When will Win64 come out? When will it be at a reasonable price? And beyond that, when will good 64bit games come out? I'm guessing Q2 2006, and by that time, AMD will probably enable 64bit on the semprons anyway. And the reduced cache? This article seems to say that the reduced cache doesn't hurt gameplay, especially when OC'd.

It is my opinion that overclocking is not for those who don't upgrade often, thus a sempron is a silly idea.

The reason is fairly obvious, if you muff it up and destroy it you cannot afford a new CPU.

I thought MS will allow you to switch from a WinXP to a Win64 license for free.

If they're the same speed, I vote for the A64's larger cache and 64-bitness.

I went through much the same debate a few months back.

I wound up getting an A64 754 3200+ for NZ$340 (vs $200 for sempr0n/a64 2800+ or $280 for a64 3000+ ... now $300 vs still $200).
Thats a 2.2ghz 512k chip.

That linked xbit article was very formative in my decision making process.

Well, actually, the fact that I found myself with a bunch more money than expected was why I didn't get the Sempr0n (that & the desire to upclock a decent chunk from my XP 2000+ @ 1.7).

Its still an excellent article though & lays out the whole 512k -> 1mb = 200mhz real = 400mhz PR, 754 -> 939 = 200mhz real = 400mhz PR bit very clearly.

Basically I say go for the best ghz/buck ratio.

Back