Which console are you most interested in getting?

What console do you *currently* intend to get?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me what's so special about the NFL stuff on a console?

Perhaps this is because overhere, you either go to see the matches in person or you watch the live coverage on television. We don't get all that much additional information in the broadcast though, but I'm not sure that is really necessary too.

There are several parts to this.

The first is that football is played on a restricted number of days and most games are played at the same time. Basically, the bulk of games are played on Sunday mornings and afternoons in 19 weeks in the fall. So there are a limited number of games, each game is very important, and there is competition as to which game gets shown.

That competition becomes important, because American's have gotten more and more mobile as time has gone on. My favorite team for instance plays in San Fransisco while I live near Washington, D.C. So I can't go see my team in person, and most Sundays I cannot see them play on television without paying for a special package.

That is combined with America's love of numbers. Fantasy football is actually a lot like a minor sport in and of itself. In any given Fantasy football league, you may have to follow 4 or 5 teams to see how your "team" performed for a week. So watching every game becomes important - but remember, most games are played at the same time. The likelihood of you seeing every game for free on television is next to zero.

Basically, the NFL has done something extremely clever. They have combined limited availability, a nationwide fan base, and a clever "fan" sport into a marketing dream land. The only way to make sure you get to see your team play is either live right next to the stadium or pay a lot of money for other "services" like the NFL Sunday ticket or the new XBox thing. It really is clever for the XBox to attach themselves to the NFL.

I'm English originally, and it's very different to anything I experienced in Europe.
Partly it's the majority of games being played at the same time, so you simply cannot choose to watch all of the interesting games live, and commonly if your not in the right region you may not even be able to follow your team without special TV packages.

Partly because every game matters, teams play a total of 16 regular season games a year.

But the big driver is fantasy football, basically at the start of the season you select players from across the league, your team is matched against others in your league and assigned points based on scoring and various other stats resulting in a win/loss. It has become ENORMOUSLY popular with the advent of computer run leagues, and being able to follow not just your team but the performance of the players on your fantasy team is a big deal.

A question for those that choose the last option:

Where do you find the time to dedicate to 2 consoles?
No really I have time only for one gaming machine so teach me your secret, please. ;)

Yeah I don't quite have the time either. My steam wish list keeps growing and is now at 19 games, I eventually realized I would never catch up to it so having two consoles on top of a pc made no sense anymore. There are simply too many games out there for me to play.

Edit: Oh, and AlStrong's giving up consoles! No more Live! butt-kickings for him, I guess. Myself, waiting and seeing. PC has a lot more value, Sony always offers great games, and I don't game too much these days anyways. Seems hard to justify the expense of a box that gets so little use.

I'm likely in the same boat, consoles for gaming make little sense now when you can get better looking games cheaper on pc. To me consoles are a very poor value proposition for games. I mean jeeze I'm a core gamer, stuff like graphics, resolution and frame rate are important to me, why would I pay more to play downgraded versions on a console? Makes no sense. Consoles are more for the hybrid core/casual types who just want a simple box with one button on it to play their games.

I just fail to see why suddenly people who were never interested in the Xbox brandname before suddenly will be, now that it offers more features centered around the TV.

This one is simple to answer using my wife as the example. She could care less about the Xbox brand name, and knows little about it to be honest other than it plays "the same old violent games" as she puts it. After the MS event she saw an article about the nfl deal and being an nfl nut means she became instantly interested in it. There were other things she likes as well like the always on nature of the machine coupled with Skype, which would make it easier for her to talk with family back home in Montreal. So like right now when our 7 year old niece tries to call us on Skype, if we aren't on a laptop or pc then we miss the call, with the Xbox One being always on and hooked to the tv means we're far more likely to be there for her call and talk to our adorable niece. Those two features alone sold the deal for her. Incidently when she asked me about the Xbox One she never once brought up anything gaming related, simply because she doesn't care about that at all. She is also the type that will simply not use any device that requires her to change inputs on the tv. Now understand she is a very smart girl earning deep 6 figures being sent to clients like Intel, Cisco, etc for her tech skill and expertise so no she isn't dumb, she just doesn't care to use anything that is even remotely complicated when at home, period. Again incidently I know of a great many females in the exact same boat where something perhaps as trivial to you and me like changing input on the a/v receiver is a deal breaker. It is what is it. In any case here you have someone that has no interests in games or consoles, and will now be an Xbox One owner. Make of that what you will.

You'd have to ask an nfl nut like my wife. We've had Directv since 1994, and have had NFL Sunday Ticket every single season since then. I don't claim to understand it but then again sports don't interest me in the least.

Yeah I don't quite have the time either. My steam wish list keeps growing and is now at 19 games, I eventually realized I would never catch up to it so having two consoles on top of a pc made no sense anymore. There are simply too many games out there for me to play.

I'm likely in the same boat, consoles for gaming make little sense now when you can get better looking games cheaper on pc. To me consoles are a very poor value proposition for games. I mean jeeze I'm a core gamer, stuff like graphics, resolution and frame rate are important to me, why would I pay more to play downgraded versions on a console? Makes no sense. Consoles are more for the hybrid core/casual types who just want a simple box with one button on it to play their games.

This one is simple to answer using my wife as the example. She could care less about the Xbox brand name, and knows little about it to be honest other than it plays "the same old violent games" as she puts it. After the MS event she saw an article about the nfl deal and being an nfl nut means she became instantly interested in it. There were other things she likes as well like the always on nature of the machine coupled with Skype, which would make it easier for her to talk with family back home in Montreal. So like right now when our 7 year old niece tries to call us on Skype, if we aren't on a laptop or pc then we miss the call, with the Xbox One being always on and hooked to the tv means we're far more likely to be there for her call and talk to our adorable niece. Those two features alone sold the deal for her. Incidently when she asked me about the Xbox One she never once brought up anything gaming related, simply because she doesn't care about that at all. She is also the type that will simply not use any device that requires her to change inputs on the tv. Now understand she is a very smart girl earning deep 6 figures being sent to clients like Intel, Cisco, etc for her tech skill and expertise so no she isn't dumb, she just doesn't care to use anything that is even remotely complicated when at home, period. Again incidently I know of a great many females in the exact same boat where something perhaps as trivial to you and me like changing input on the a/v receiver is a deal breaker. It is what is it. In any case here you have someone that has no interests in games or consoles, and will now be an Xbox One owner. Make of that what you will.

You'd have to ask an nfl nut like my wife. We've had Directv since 1994, and have had NFL Sunday Ticket every single season since then. I don't claim to understand it but then again sports don't interest me in the least.
If some extra power is what you want, EA say that PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are a generation ahead of top specs PCs, so maybe this is your chance to actually use the console?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-exe...re-a-generation-ahead-of-top-spec-pcs-6408777

If some extra power is what you want, EA say that PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are a generation ahead of top specs PCs, so maybe this is your chance to actually use the console?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-exe...re-a-generation-ahead-of-top-spec-pcs-6408777

From a pure spec point of view of course they are wrong, but I understand that pr people will say all kinds of stuff publically to benefit whatever angle they are shooting for, and people that write those articles likewise will go with whatever article title to get the most hits possible even if it's completely misleading or inaccurate.

The cloud side is intriguing though to be sure, but I think that will take some time to be a game changer and by then it's possible that Microsoft will make it available on pc anyways. It behooves them to make it available for any use that publishers want, plus being cloud means that it would be immune to piracy on pc so there is very good reason to leverage their cloud servers there. Basically I imagine any publisher putting games on pc will be chomping at the bit to make use of Microsoft's cloud setup. We'll have to wait and see.

Very well said.

I think this is exactly why the poll will be lopsided, and reflective of initial sales.

It's lopsided because the majority of the folks in this forum are non-US residents & see no value in the TV aspects. And considering how much TV they talked about, no wonder everybody is turned off of Xbox. The only people that are saying they are choosing Xbox this time around are existing Xbox 360 users who are using/used the TV features. I think the poll would be better served closer to launch, not even right after E3 since we still won't have all the details. Let's return to this right after launch.

Tommy McClain

Last edited by a moderator:
It's lopsided because the majority of the folks in this forum are non-US residents & see no value in the TV aspects. And considering how much TV they talked about, no wonder everybody is turned off of Xbox. The only people that are saying they are choosing Xbox this time around are existing Xbox 360 users who are using/used the TV features. I think the poll would be better served closer to launch, not even right after E3 since we still won't have all the details. Let's return to this right after launch.

Tommy McClain

I'm a current xbox only user in the us and I have no interest due to the platform they are offering.

The policies are anti consumer, and the hardware is inferior.

I'll be jumping ship to ps4 accordingly.

I'm a current xbox only user in the us and I have no interest due to the platform they are offering.

The policies are anti consumer, and the hardware is inferior.

I'll be jumping ship to ps4 accordingly.

I didn't say all US Xbox 360-only owners here in this forum are choosing Xbox One. More likely only those that who are using the TV features. I'll give you that there are a lot of existing Xbox 360 owners who will jump ship, but it's because they only care about the games or the specs.

I find it funny that even though we don't have all the details that it's already been settled that the Xbox One is anti-consumer. We don't have all the details yet. Let's not jump the gun ok?

Tommy McClain

I feel like Sony dropped the ball a lot this gen. So I was looking to maybe get a second system, and then see which I end up playing more. I wasn't going to buy a Wii U or PC so that only left the new Xbox. But if the unveiling is any indication of where they headed then I'm not interested. I wasn't going to pay for Live anyway.

Sony on other hand seems to do all the right things lately. It's almost mind boggling how different their approach with the PS4 is considering it was in development while they were being arrogant and shortsighted with the PS3. I have the PS4 preordered, and it looks like it'll be the only system I buy next gen.

I'll give you that there are a lot of existing Xbox 360 owners who will jump ship, but it's because they only care about the games or the specs...

I care about other functionality as well.. but it is decidedly secondary to the main point of the purchase which is a games console.

For the rest, I'm expecting Sony will offer similar extras in media access and camera/voice UI.

Might not be an exact replica of what MS showed, but again, that stuff is secondary. First and foremost the console should be a premium gaming experience.

I have a tablet that I can still leave on while watching Football on sundays to get stats and replays from nfl.com ... worst case scenario.

Need more information. They both have some work to do to convince me it's worthwhile. Steam on PC has really changed my value perception of consoles as gaming devices.

I make a $399-$499 investment at the end of the year on a console and have to start all over with building a library of content. I make a $399-$499 investment in a new graphics card and all of my existing content is better and I will have still have access to new content going forward. It isn't that one option excludes the other for me, it's that one option makes the other look like a poor investment.

That's why I need to see the full slate of exclusive features and content before I can assign value to either of these consoles. Thus far, neither has shown me anything I don't already have.

I want to know more about each, I want to see games from both.

But honestly, each has strengths/exclusives over other devices so PC, PS4, X1 will be in my gaming future.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

So what makes NFL so different? I'd really like to understand...

The only thing that makes NFL so important to 90% of Americans is money.

Gambling in the US on NFL games is the main driving factor for most.

The other percent is so people can sound like they know something important to talk about when at work. I personally hate The NFL because most of the players are all criminals and we worship the ground they play on as gods.

Also on a side note I had to restart my account because I no longer have access to the email account I signed up on but I really only had like 3 posts. Long time reader.

As for what system I will be getting I think that the XBOne will be a cool but gimmicky unit I was really hoping for an amazing system announcement with the almost 5 months MS had to wow gamers after hearing what Sony was planning. Regardless I will buy both systems and do it again and again just because that's what I done all my life, plus I know my sons will want both.

I have owned every console ever since the Commodore 64 and am a true graphics whore but until I see the games in person at E3 I don't know what system will make my eyes bleed.

Glad to be back and able to post again I love B3D because all the fanboy ism crap is left at the door and this is one if not the only civil group of gents on the Internet.

Charybdis
formerly Saleen73

Thanks for the numerous explenations on the NFL bit. I guess it sounds a bit like when the FIFA world or euro championship is on and just about everyone starts showing some interest in the sport - with the difference that we only get such an event every 2 years and it lasts for about 4 weeks, I think. Not even hockey captures that mainstream appeal, despite our team reaching the first for a looong time world-championship finals this year.

But the big driver is fantasy football, basically at the start of the season you select players from across the league, your team is matched against others in your league and assigned points based on scoring and various other stats resulting in a win/loss. It has become ENORMOUSLY popular with the advent of computer run leagues, and being able to follow not just your team but the performance of the players on your fantasy team is a big deal.

Interesting. Am I right in assuming "fantasy football" is like a fantasy league where the stats of a player played in real is matched up against others on paper? Wouldn't this be like effectively turning what's essentially a "team sport" into a solo sport? How do you quantify the performance of an individual when it's a team sport?

I guess I'll have to read up on this a bit more, but admittedly not knowing NFL, I can't possibly understand what kind of stats there are to read into it. Sure, you can have various stats in FIFA as well, but they for the most part aren't really interesting, since it's only the team performance that counts - or the goals. And the interesting statistics might be more down to the team, like number of corners, number of shots, ball posession percentage etc...

Tennis is far more interesting in this regard, since you can messure statistics in a better way (a lot more to analyse) and it's not exactly a team sport...

Anyway, NFL integration seems to be a big thing in the US I guess, so I guess I can get some of the excitment. It's just never going to be as clear for us Europeans, since we watch sport differently I guess. In fact, I don't even have a TV subscription at all - since watching anything on there is horrendous with the amount of commercials we get (and I think this is much worse in the US, from what I remember) - so I limit myself to sport coverage and watch my movies on Bluray.

Lol at least rpgs have an element you can control.

Ive been thinking about this question now as im bored at work and have come to the conclusion that if xbox had a full windows 8 mode and I could plug in a keyboard and mouse I would probably buy it. My pc is no beast certainly bettered by xbox one so it would be a nice upgrade for that. For my gaming I would use my ps4 but then at least I would have rhe option of playing forza until gran turismo came out.

ill wait for E3 to make decission.

i'll buy the console that have the most game that i like.

Shooters wont sway me, already have a laptop or PC that good for shooters. i always play FPS in lowest setting so graphic quality wont matter, its the performance that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back