When will Intel regain the CPU performance crown? Conroe?

Who will be best performance CPU on the market 2 years form now?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have always bought AMD, I expect I will continue to do so & I fundamentally loathe Intel but I do think that the prevalent 'AMD kills Intel' attitude is overblown.

Its easy to construct a set of benchmarks to show whatever you want.
P4 wins are generally heavy on theoretical CPU, encoding & rendering & generally heavily use HT enabled software, while AMD wins tend to focus on games & even leave out HT apps as unfair.
A bunch of the AMD 'wins' I've seen lately actually show Intel winning more often than not, while the text waxes lyrical about the AMD superiority.
Shades of FX5900 vs R9800 in my opinion.

As I said: no, it doesn't. In certain cases it's neck-to-neck but never faster.
Unlike you I speak from experience thus with confidence, based on my own tests.
Only idiots or schoolboys, amateurs rely on some website tests, sorry.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were so much better then everyone else. :rolleyes: I see you fixed your grammar and spelling this round.

Again: ignorant and loud.
That 1-2 sec became 10 minutes in case of a week-long rendering session.

It'd be good if you'd ask first instead of talking out of your bottom part.

Wow did it really shave 10 minutes off of a whole week? Amazing!! :rolleyes:

You hopelessly clueless and don't know a flying frog about this. Stop pretending you have ever seen any 3d or compositing application.
You didn't even know what I was referring to.

You obviously doesn't know shit about this, young fella. Start some huge stuff w/ 3-4 gig memory need on Xeons...

Hmm, more insults without any real substance. Fascinating.

SUUUUURE! P-M - fastest is 2.1 as of now - is faster than anything, especially the FX-55!

LOL!

I think this is the point when I should stop answering seriously - this whole argument doesn't make any sense, so why bother to read it?

Congradulations, you once again misconstrued my point by taking what I said out of context.

No, you did not. You conveniently ignored my notes what content creation means, young Jedi, when I listed sw you have oibviously never seen...

Yes, I did. I said the PM was memory bandwidth starved. You ignored it and tried to change the subject by pointing out how the benchmarks I linked to were not specifically rendering oriented, which I have already explained as well. Is someone slow? As for your 'notes', "Young Jedi: you don't know a lot of things, I'm telling you." Yeah, fantastic 'notes' you got there. I'll study 'them' hard. :LOL:

You were pretty slow in school, right? Sorry, you ARE , right?

It was a hidden message, pal.

What do I have to be a member of the Star Wars fanclub or something?

Exactly.

I know rabid Intel-fan schoolboys having hard time to imagine but I don't really care about that.
Mo-and-Pa home user never will understand what I'm talking about, so you may just proceed and buy Prescott or Northwood, young Jedi.

And I know AMD zealots when I see them. Considering the A64 is based on the same architecture as the Athlon XP (which pretty much got hammered by the Northwood in everything) just with a memory controller onboard, so called 64 bit extensions and increased cache levels among other slight improvements, it's not hard to see that while definitely being improved, it's not a whole lot better then Intel's offering. The difference between you and me, I'm open to both sides whereas you are privy to only AMD it seems.

Hehehe: now you made clear you don't know shit. Few months from now I'll pull this thread out to embarrass you...

That's exactly what I thought when you first claimed the same.

Look kid: I don't waste my time reading your average newspaper-online test-etc crap which you rely on exclusively. Any people I know, who are in this industry, will only believe for his own tests only.
You don't even know how test a CPU in this field, I fully believe, so I can fully understand that without solid knowledge and experience you have to rely on some website tests.
We don't. At some day you'll see some place like ours and you'll understand what I'm talking about now.
When you got your first job in this industry, come back and I'll tell you how to make it up on the ladder.

That's quite a generalization don't you think? Considering you know absoutely nothing about me. I also assume, then, that you are aware of the fact that results can vary with each test run, especially when the results are close, which they are quite often. Yeah, I understand you work in this area (apparently), that became clear after the tenth time you claimed to have 100+ machines. It still doesn't make you immune to being biased, or even necessarily hardware literate.

? Excuse me?
WTF are you talking about?

Stop smoking that crap - look what it did to you...

Are you hovs? Apparently someone can't read.

arrrse said:
Well I have always bought AMD, I expect I will continue to do so & I fundamentally loathe Intel but I do think that the prevalent 'AMD kills Intel' attitude is overblown.

P4 wins are generally heavy on theoretical CPU, encoding & rendering & generally heavily use HT enabled software, while AMD wins tend to focus on games & even leave out HT apps as unfair.
A bunch of the AMD 'wins' I've seen lately actually show Intel winning more often than not, while the text waxes lyrical about the AMD superiority.

Thank you. 8)

arrrse said:

Now count in the prices and the picture changes fundamentally.

_xxx_ said:
arrrse said:

Now count in the prices and the picture changes fundamentally.

You mean these prices?

Athlon 64 3500+ - $272
Pentium 4 550 3.4 GHz - $280

Athlon 64 3700+ - $463
Pentium 4 560J 3.6 GHz - $450

the athlon 3500 is faster than pretty much anything intel has to offer. and you can get one for only 259. not to mention how much less power it draws, and how much cooler it runs.

for the a64 being simple an xp with a new memory controller its pretty sad how badly intel loses to them.

ANova said:
As I said: no, it doesn't. In certain cases it's neck-to-neck but never faster.

Unlike you I speak from experience thus with confidence, based on my own tests.
Only idiots or schoolboys, amateurs rely on some website tests, sorry.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were so much better then everyone else. :rolleyes: I see you fixed your grammar and spelling this round.

Unlike you: it's not about being better but professional. If you don't see the difference, noone can help you...

(kinda funny a non-native should tell you this:p)

Again: ignorant and loud.
That 1-2 sec became 10 minutes in case of a week-long rendering session.

It'd be good if you'd ask first instead of talking out of your bottom part.

Wow did it really shave 10 minutes off of a whole week? Amazing!! :rolleyes:

*shrug* :rolleyes:

Look, let me try to explain in "retarded style", young fella: if 1-2 sec goes to 10 mins, then many seconds diff will be hours.

You hopelessly clueless and don't know a flying frog about this. Stop pretending you have ever seen any 3d or compositing application.
You didn't even know what I was referring to.

You obviously doesn't know shit about this, young fella. Start some huge stuff w/ 3-4 gig memory need on Xeons...

Hmm, more insults without any real substance. Fascinating.

I wonder why you did not reply anything meaningful, especially on the mentioned sw category...

SUUUUURE! P-M - fastest is 2.1 as of now - is faster than anything, especially the FX-55!

LOL!

I think this is the point when I should stop answering seriously - this whole argument doesn't make any sense, so why bother to read it?

Congradulations, you once again misconstrued my point by taking what I said out of context.

No, I did not. Stop lying:

I said the PM was going to show it's potential, you claimed it didn't have a chance. Are you going to now claim the PM isn't faster then the FX-55 in gaming? Because I know for a fact it is.

It's pure lamer stupidity, blatant ignorance at its best.

No, you did not. You conveniently ignored my notes what content creation means, young Jedi, when I listed sw you have oibviously never seen...

Yes, I did. I said the PM was memory bandwidth starved. You ignored it and tried to change the subject by pointing out how the benchmarks I linked to were not specifically rendering oriented, which I have already explained as well.

No, you didn't. Neither said anything meaningful about content creation - other than linking sopme crap with MP3 compression etc.

Classic home lamer approach.

Is someone slow? As for your 'notes', "Young Jedi: you don't know a lot of things, I'm telling you." Yeah, fantastic 'notes' you got there. I'll study 'them' hard. :LOL:

You were pretty slow in school, right? Sorry, you ARE , right?

It was a hidden message, pal.

What do I have to be a member of the Star Wars fanclub or something?

So you still didn't get it? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

LOL! You ARE really slow... :D

Exactly.

I know rabid Intel-fan schoolboys having hard time to imagine but I don't really care about that.
Mo-and-Pa home user never will understand what I'm talking about, so you may just proceed and buy Prescott or Northwood, young Jedi.

And I know AMD zealots when I see them. Considering the A64 is based on the same architecture as the Athlon XP

Suuuure... :rolleyes:

(which pretty much got hammered by the Northwood in everything)

:oops:

Boy.... you ARE really clueless, that's for sure. :LOL:

just with a memory controller onboard,

"Just"... :LOL:

Compared to the bugfest Intel chipsets with lousy DDR2? LOL!

Jesus, go and read the fuckin technical basics, kid. Your ignorance is crying, seriously.

so called 64 bit extensions

"so-called"?

I wonder whether you ever heard about Intel's "so-called" "OWN" 64-bit extensions? It's called EMT64 - and even it's documentation turned out to be a copy/paste from AMD64's... :LOL:

MMMMMmmmm... kid, read or ask first. :)

and increased cache levels among other slight improvements,

Oh yes.... :D Ignorance is blessed... makes your life so easy...

it's not hard to see that while definitely being improved, it's not a whole lot better then Intel's offering.

For example Prescott, I suppose... :LOL:

The difference between you and me, I'm open to both sides whereas you are privy to only AMD it seems.

As I stated, undeucated young fella: I do it for living, therefore I cannot be biased. I'd be fired if it'd be the case.

This type of stupidity is exclusive for amateur, ignorant home lamers like you.

Hehehe: now you made clear you don't know shit. Few months from now I'll pull this thread out to embarrass you...

That's exactly what I thought when you first claimed the same.

Suuure: you've got the Intel wire in your Mom's basement, right, kid?
:D

Look kid: I don't waste my time reading your average newspaper-online test-etc crap which you rely on exclusively. Any people I know, who are in this industry, will only believe for his own tests only.
You don't even know how test a CPU in this field, I fully believe, so I can fully understand that without solid knowledge and experience you have to rely on some website tests.
We don't. At some day you'll see some place like ours and you'll understand what I'm talking about now.
When you got your first job in this industry, come back and I'll tell you how to make it up on the ladder.

That's quite a generalization don't you think? Considering you know absoutely nothing about me.

More than enough from your posts, young Jedi, believe me.
I have seen dozens of 'you' in my life - the 'home luzer fankid' type.

I also assume, then, that you are aware of the fact that results can vary with each test run, especially when the results are close, which they are quite often.

That's my point: they aren't.

Those are not real tests you rely on exclusively. Therefore your whole "knowledge" is based on fake results.

Yeah, I understand you work in this area (apparently), that became clear after the tenth time you claimed to have 100+ machines.

Yes.

It still doesn't make you immune to being biased, or even necessarily hardware literate.

Apparently don't even understand what I'm referring... again...

Don't you think it's enough embarrasment for you? :p You just keep posting more and more nonsense...

the pentium m IS NOT faster than the fx55 in gaming. your comparing a major overclock of 1 chipset to stock clocks of another.

All I'm hearing out of you T2k are insults; ignorant, clueless, stupid, retarded, lamer, 'luzer', fankid, etc. All of which can be applied to you. You know what i'll add my own, pathetic, because that's what you are.

I wonder whether you ever heard about Intel's "so-called" "OWN" 64-bit extensions? It's called EMT64 - and even it's documentation turned out to be a copy/paste from AMD64's...

"Just"...

This right here shows me you know absolutely nothing, and makes your bias stand out blindly. Theres really no point in having a conversation with someone who has already made up his mind. Nor someone who refuses to give any basis for his claims and instead resorts to childish name calling.

hovs said:
the athlon 3500 is faster than pretty much anything intel has to offer. and you can get one for only 259. not to mention how much less power it draws, and how much cooler it runs.

for the a64 being simple an xp with a new memory controller its pretty sad how badly intel loses to them.

I'm sorry, your head is in the gutter. The 3500+ is in no way faster then anything Intel has to offer. :rolleyes: You do know the 3500+ is slower then the 3400+ right?

the pentium m IS NOT faster than the fx55 in gaming. your comparing a major overclock of 1 chipset to stock clocks of another.

Well, the FX-55 runs at 2.6 GHz and has a 200 MHz bus as well as three times the memory bandwidth with an onboard memory controller. I don't think comparing an overclocked PM is such a big problem here. Even at stock the 2.1 PM isn't far behind. I might also add that at 2.4 GHz the PM still draws one third the power of the FX-55 and runs 5-10 degrees cooler.

MasterBaiter said:
You guys need to loosen the sphincters a little bit. I'm feeling embarassed that should even need to be said. :oops:

I think he's kinda cute. Enthusiastic kid, not a big deal. A bit lame but he has plenty of time to learn few things at least. 8)

doesnt matter how fast it is clocked or what features it has. thats how it is sold. thats like saying you should overclock the nv40 when comparing it to the r420 because the r420 has more fillrate and bandwidth.

the 3500+ pretty much matches or beats the fastest p4 in gaming and its 1/5th the price, runs much cooler, consumes far less power. youd have to spend nearly twice as much for a comparable pentium m.

lets here the praise for intel!!!!!!

they could put a great marketing spin on this. match the power of amd in gaming but fall behind it in all other categories for only twice the price!!! introducing the pentium M!!!!

ANova said:
All I'm hearing out of you T2k are insults; ignorant, clueless, stupid, retarded, lamer, 'luzer', fankid, etc. All of which can be applied to you. You know what i'll add my own, pathetic, because that's what you are.

I wonder whether you ever heard about Intel's "so-called" "OWN" 64-bit extensions? It's called EMT64 - and even its documentation turned out to be a copy/paste from AMD64's...

"Just"...

This right here shows me you know absolutely nothing, and makes your bias stand out blindly. Theres really no point in having a conversation with someone who has already made up his mind. Nor someone who refuses to give any basis for his claims and instead resorts to childish name calling.

Yakyakyak. Come back kid when you learned the basics.
You can't answer ANYTHING.

Old slogan: don't mess with pros. :p

hovs said:

I'm sorry, your head is in the gutter. The 3500+ is in no way faster then anything Intel has to offer. :rolleyes:

LOL - 'anything'? :LOL: MWHUWHUAHUAHUA. :D

This guy is actually funny, sooooo clueless.

You do know the 3500+ is slower then the 3400+ right?

Suuuurre.... we do know many thing, you are the only problem here. 8)

Well, the FX-55 runs at 2.6 GHz and has a 200 MHz bus as well as three times the memory bandwidth with an onboard memory controller. I don't think comparing an overclocked PM is such a big problem here. Even at stock the 2.1 PM isn't far behind.

Suuuure... :LOL:

Well, why don't we underclock the FX-55? I see no problem there also...

I might also add that at 2.4 GHz the PM still draws one third the power of the FX-55 and runs 5-10 degrees cooler.

You might can add whatever you want, young Jedi. :D Whatever you just want, clueless fella. 8)

ANova said:
You mean these prices?

Athlon 64 3500+ - $272
Pentium 4 550 3.4 GHz - $280

Athlon 64 3700+ - $463
Pentium 4 560J 3.6 GHz - $450

Sheeesh...

No, I mean these prices:

AthlonXP 3200+: 199 EUR
Pentium 4 540 (3.2 GHz): 220 EUR

Athlon64 3400+: 209 EUR
Pentium4 550(3.4GHz): 269 EUR
Pentium4 EE 3.4: 1099 EUR

Only recently has Intel lowered the prices in order to match AMD a bit, since pretty much noone bought Intel lately in retail. Until a few months ago, you could buy two AMD's for one comparable Intel CPU. And if you look at that P4EE price...

Old slogan: don't mess with pros.

Yak yak yak, you don't know anything. Yeah, I can do that too. If anyone is clueless around here it's you.

_xxx_ said:
No, I mean these prices:

AthlonXP 3200+: 199 EUR
Pentium 4 540 (3.2 GHz): 220 EUR

Athlon64 3400+: 209 EUR
Pentium4 550(3.4GHz): 269 EUR
Pentium4 EE 3.4: 1099 EUR

The P4 3.2 greatly outperforms the AXP 3200+ and like I posted, at least here in the states the 3500+ and 3400+ are both only priced $8-15 less then the P4 3.4.

Only recently has Intel lowered the prices in order to match AMD a bit, since pretty much noone bought Intel lately in retail. Until a few months ago, you could buy two AMD's for one comparable Intel CPU. And if you look at that P4EE price...

Yeah and got what you paid for. The P4s were quite a bit faster then Athlon XPs, generally ran cooler (in terms of the Northwood) and didn't burst into flames if they overheated. AMD only introduced throttling recently with the Opteron and A64.

I agree with you that the P4XEs are extremely overpriced, but then again so are the FX series with the FX-55 going for as much as $850, only ~$160 less then the P4XE 3.4 GHz. Most people that spend that much money on a processor don't care about the money.

hovs said:
doesnt matter how fast it is clocked or what features it has. thats how it is sold. thats like saying you should overclock the nv40 when comparing it to the r420 because the r420 has more fillrate and bandwidth.

My point was to show what kind of potential it has if it can come close to the FX55 in it's current state and blow it away (in gaming) at only a 300 MHz overclock while producing up to 20% less heat and drawing less power. That would be obvious to any normal person, obviously not fanboys.

the 3500+ pretty much matches or beats the fastest p4 in gaming and its 1/5th the price, runs much cooler, consumes far less power. youd have to spend nearly twice as much for a comparable pentium m.

lets here the praise for intel!!!!!!

In gaming, but not in anything else. And no the 3500+ is not faster then the 3.8 GHz even in gaming. I'll also add that if your running a Northwood, heat is not an issue as they run about the same as an Athlon 64 system. I have a P4 3.0C overclocked to 3.6 GHz which runs at 44* C load and 30* C idle with stock cooling.

ANova said:
In gaming, but not in anything else. And no the 3500+ is not faster then the 3.8 GHz even in gaming.
Gotta disagree here. Last time I checked http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2004q4/pentium4-570j/index.x?pg=5, a 3500+ beats anything intel has to offer in gaming, including the XE edtions. Sure, some older games like Q3A will be faster on the XE editions, but newer titles where it really counts all are faster on the 3500+. Doom3, FarCry, UT2k4,... (so ok the P4 scores an impressive win in UT2k4 here, http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2004q4/pentium4-570j/index.x?pg=6, if you look at software rendering...), HL2 ( http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/29cpu-hl2_4.html - granted depending on the level the 3.46XE draws with the 3500+).
Sure, the scores between a P4 3.46XE, P4 3.8Ghz and A64 3500+ are usually close (in fact so close that depending on the review another cpu will win), but I'd still give the nod to the 3500+ overall - for gaming. Well if you play in low-res and/or with a slow graphic card - not that it would usually matter much once you crank up resolution/aa levels...

ANova said:

Old slogan: don't mess with pros.

Yak yak yak, you don't know anything. Yeah, I can do that too. If anyone is clueless around here it's you.

Yeah, that's why literally everybody luaghs at your retarded comments and deliberate disinformation.

Stupid, clueless troll, I have to say now.

arrrse said:

P4 wins are generally heavy on theoretical CPU, encoding & rendering

Wrong. Only in case of SSE2 which AXP never had.

& generally heavily use HT enabled software, while AMD wins tend to focus on games & even leave out HT apps as unfair.

Wrong again. HT consistently 99% produced artifacted renders, rendering errors, not to mention a lot of frozen machine if HT was enabled (hp DL14x-series and others). HT is literally useless (sw: Deadline render manager commands between max/brazil-combustion-dfrnode).

BTW Intel's HT approach was the cheesest in the industry.

You should seek for professional help - you have some serious problems with your eyes if it's a serious comment..

mczak said:
ANova said:
In gaming, but not in anything else. And no the 3500+ is not faster then the 3.8 GHz even in gaming.
Gotta disagree here. Last time I checked http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2004q4/pentium4-570j/index.x?pg=5, a 3500+ beats anything intel has to offer in gaming, including the XE edtions. Sure, some older games like Q3A will be faster on the XE editions, but newer titles where it really counts all are faster on the 3500+. Doom3, FarCry, UT2k4,... (so ok the P4 scores an impressive win in UT2k4 here, http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2004q4/pentium4-570j/index.x?pg=6, if you look at software rendering...), HL2 ( http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/29cpu-hl2_4.html - granted depending on the level the 3.46XE draws with the 3500+).
Sure, the scores between a P4 3.46XE, P4 3.8Ghz and A64 3500+ are usually close (in fact so close that depending on the review another cpu will win), but I'd still give the nod to the 3500+ overall - for gaming. Well if you play in low-res and/or with a slow graphic card - not that it would usually matter much once you crank up resolution/aa levels...

LOL I love this.... 8)

We should underclock 3500+ and OC the Intel - as he said, he thinks that's not a problem at all. :LOL:

BTW a 90nm 3500+ by default runs on 2500MHz with air cooling... friend of mine uses it since he bought it.

PS: As a side note.... I play everything (home) on 1920x1200, CPU runs around 2600MHz w/ 240FSB on WC... do this with ANY Intel. Currently an OCed FX-53 S939 like mine mops the floor with everything Intel has on the market, including Xtremely Xpensive Edition.

Whoa. After reading this thread I seriously wonder why you haven't been banned yet, T2k.
Even if you may be right in the current argument (something I don't want to discuss), that doesn't give you the right to behave like an utter a**hole, insulting and ridiculing people, starting right with your first post here in this thread.
Please, turn it down a bit, for the sake of these forums.

Snyder said:
Whoa. After reading this thread I seriously wonder why you haven't been banned yet, T2k.

Stop this cheap, disgusting attempt to get me banned.

Even if you may be right in the current argument (something I don't want to discuss),

That's the problem and that's what makes your attempt obvious: a sly attempt, nothing else.

that doesn't give you the right to behave like an utter a**hole, insulting and ridiculing people, starting right with your first post here in this thread.

Stop lying.
If you have noticed, I never start anything like that. I just hate when people start spreading their own home-cooked BS as the Holy Truth.
Check my first post here: strictly technical. Then check his reply to that.

Stop lying.

Please, turn it down a bit, for the sake of these forums.

Please, try to contribute something useful here.
You obviously have only one purpose here: instigate mod against me and you're apparently not afraid of lying to achieve this.
Disgusting.
If you can't comment on the topic, stop this OT crap here, post it in Feedback section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back