What's next?

Gollum

Veteran
Just wondering if I'm the only one who finds stuff like this a bit irritating:
Link1
Link2
I know there's no "official" lists like these (if there were it would already be too late) but sites like these seem to pop up every other day now, and since I don't live in the US I'm curious about the trend. Is this a common opinion at the moment or rather an extremist view, or doesn't this issue get paid much attention to by the general populace at all?

Don't get me wrong, I think the people who make these lists are entitled to their opinion and also free to publish it. But when people get black-listed for their opinion or political orientation I'm getting a bit worried wether its official or not, so I thought I'd ask how people who live in the US feel about the issue. And no flames please, I'm not trying to bash the US or anything, just asking a question.

What is wrong with such lists?

Boycotts are age old methods of protesting actions and statements. Exxon suffered after the Valdez accident; Nike suffered until they convinced people they don't use child labor; Disney still suffers from some groups for their support of homosexuality. McDonalds is boycotted regularly, as is Starbucks, etc.

It's the democratic process at work. You've got the right to open your mouth, but I have the right to disagree with you, to not listen to you, and not buy your product.

These celebrities are selling something--their movies, music, image, whatever. If I don't agree with what they're using their fame for, shouldn't I do my part to reduce their fame?

Or is it only multinational corporations who deserve boycotts?

But to answer your questions: I know of a few people who are involved in boycotts. One of my wifes friends won't watch Disney films. Its fairly popular in South Austin to avoid starbucks, and shop locally. I've heard at least one person vow not to buy a Dixie Chicks album (Though this guy listens to Rush Limbaugh). Widespread, though? Nah. The US population is just not terribly politically motivated, especially when it affects our lifestyle.

Back