What's a fabulous printer?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Not just a decent one, FABULOUS! My wife has been printing a hella lot more stuff lately and our Lexmark X5435 is just driving me bonkers! Its print quality and such is fine, but the paper feed keeps not getting paper and I have to stand over the damned thing and force sheet after sheet into the feed to make it print. :???:

What is a solid f-ing printer that I won't have to monkey with all the time? It needs to be colour, and money unfortunately is still a big part of the decision...but I'm real tired of this one and need something decent.

Ugh, been there buddy. I NEVER get the orientation right on the first try ever. :(

At least the wife is seeming reasonable-ish about it, she's only said a soft no so far. :yep2:

(I can work on a soft no, I'll just wait until next paycheck when her raises/promotion kicks in and try again.)

I use a HP Laserjet 4M. what's fabulous about it, it's from 1993, is slightly big and very dirty, I don't know where it came from, but it just works. Even paper feeding is fine (it takes perhaps 100 pages in its loader, and it's easy) ; in comparison a more recent but lower end, compact HP printer had to be fed page by page..
The non plug'n'play installation is easier and faster than plug'n'play :LOL: (because, drivers are included in XP).

so,
- laser is fabulous. no cartridges, and still working after decades.
- HP seems to be a good brand, while I curse Epson and Lexmark (but because of their dreadful inkjet stuff). I believe Canon is a good brand too.
- paper feed will be great on a bulky, office-type machine, but might be a problem on consumer-device piece of crap. so you should definitely target a printer with a good build quality. How to know that, I don't fscking know, except for those clunkers that keep on working for decades :).

I checked on that HP I used and found out it had a great reputation.

Ugh, been there buddy. I NEVER get the orientation right on the first try ever. :(

You realize that all paper feeds have an icon showing the orentation, right? Little paper showing a corner folded with writing either on the corner (face down) or front (face up) and the corner indicating top.

I use a HP Laserjet 4M.
:LOL: I know that printer rather well, I used to service them all the time in the late 90s at US Steel. Fricking workhorse of a printer, I just didn't think I'd be able to afford one.

You realize that all paper feeds have an icon showing the orentation, right? Little paper showing a corner folded with writing either on the corner (face down) or front (face up) and the corner indicating top.
Really? I did not know that... :oops:

You've made me think of those enveloppes with a window, which will presumably work with that kind of formatting :).

http://www.saxe-bretagne.com/images/lettre-m-poignant-2.jpg

enveloppes.bmp

now I'd like the printer to output that letter already folded, 'cos I'm such a lazy bastard.

just wait till the gum from the envelopes starts coating the roller

We print labels rather than run envelopes through a laser printer (ours is also a color copier at the office).

As for HP laserjet 4Ms I still have TWO early nineties vintage and a 5000 running great. Others have come and gone.

The LJ4Ms were great though to be fair they were the thick end of $1k/£1k/FF10k in 1993, nearly twice that if you wanted PostScript. That's 1.5-2.0x that in modern money. What sort of printer do you get for $2k/£2k/€2k these days?

Its print quality and such is fine, but the paper feed keeps not getting paper and I have to stand over the damned thing and force sheet after sheet into the feed to make it print. :???:

Hmm... all printers I've used eventually get that way. Epson, HP, Lexmark, whatever brand you care to name.

Back