What will Sony add to their RSX GPU development?

Upgrade?

tema said:
Sony wouldn't wait a year to launch PS3 if RSX is G70.
32 pixel shaders
1 spe
4mb edram

nAo ;)

My friend I must ask if you are suggesting that RSX has upgrade for 32 pixel RSX has . Also, for what purpose is SPE and 4MB edram? Thanks. I feel that it is unlikely that SPE is used in GPU because of comments by developers that GPU is very familiar and simple to program but it is only guess since we do not know with certainty.

51B dot product number is confusing because at 550mhz maybe 7800GT layout is possible but then other numbers do not work no? Specifications provided do not provide simple answers and maybe you are right about 32 pixel shader, maybe not, but SPE and 4MB is confusing to me.

I don't think the processors inside the RSX are more SPE's. The link I gave at the top of this page said Sony's PS3 GPU has "multiple programmable shading processors"!

Programmable shader vs old style GPU

leechan25 said:
I don't think the processors inside the RSX are more SPE's. The link I gave at the top of this page said Sony's PS3 GPU has "multiple programmable shading processors"!

Is not modern GPU with shader capability vs old style fixed T&L what can be called programmable shading processor? Or do you feel that in addition to programmable pixel shaders and vertex shaders there is additional programmable shading units. Thank you.

leechan25 said:
Yeah, who would have thought?

Loose speculation and recycling of old/vague news is running a bit rampant here now. Just chill for a while, enjoy christmas, and turn the radar back on when CES is about to start. It's only about 2.5 to go anyway, if I'm not mistaken.

leechan25 said:
the RSX Reality Synthesizer, it can perform 136 shader operations per second with its multiple programmable shading processors.
Oh no. I hope it is 136 very complex shader operations ...

I wonder if I should change my signature to something like:

SHADER OPERATIONS PER CLOCK CYCLE ARE A MEANINGLESS UNIT MEASURE

what do you think? :devilish:

Last edited:
nAo said:

what to do you thik? :devilish:

I think you might need a larger font.

am I the only person here who thinks that if SONY have something more spectacular than cell they would told consumer.
Not saying that a modified gf7800 it bad.
But think twice, it's chrismass, XBOX seems to sell well in USA (don't know for Europe and Japon...lol ...) if they can do more than creating Hype about Cell (fairly impressive technologie ) and keep secret on RSX, i'm sure they would do.

unmoderated talk
it 's sad i see a lot of ******ish attitude, i remenber few month ago the console chas been closed.
I don't care being banned or have unmoderated attitude most of the time i read so...
I'm seek reading at that time except threads about cell (and people have facts on this subject)
I see more and more hype about RSx ,last news, it seems that the fan may be used by the NASA do send satelite in space lol.
IN fact i'm sad i come on this site for learn things and have interesting comment of news, educated guesses, not ****** dreams.
look at the attitude of some person vs AAron Spink for exemple:
He must be a MS ******, come on guys..

ihamoitc2005 said:
Is not modern GPU with shader capability vs old style fixed T&L what can be called programmable shading processor? Or do you feel that in addition to programmable pixel shaders and vertex shaders there is additional programmable shading units. Thank you.

I'm based this off of two facts:

Sony's GPU's patent - web.axelero.hu/varga1973/rsx.JPG

There are at least 4 processor units. Info on the G70 gives no info about any multiple programmable shading "processors". Just programmable shaders. Even if you googled (G70: multiple programmable shading processors) you get nothing.

My second reason because the cell design in regards to its SPE's. Why would Sony and Nvidia design a GPU that would become weight down by a CPU that sending it at least eight processors worth of instructions independently and simultaneously? How could the GPU handle that level of data without bottlenecks?

Then I read this for link of last summer :
"SPEs represent the first implementation of a new processor architecture designed to accelerate media and streaming workloads. Optimized for power efficiency and area, the SPEs are well suited for multicore implementations that can take advantage of parallelism."

You see its all about parallalism. SPE are designed to work with multicore (GPU) hardware or whatever used to achieve parallelism. Now here's my thinking on the matter, how would the G70 handle and CPU like cell without creating major problems with bottlenecks? I think this is what Carrmark and others were barking about.

However, if the SPE's are working with it own independent core or processor, I think you answer the problem with bottlenecks, streaming workloads, and independent simultaneous instruction management. I think this setup will allow the developers to get closer to computing throughput.

nAo said:

what do you think? :devilish:

Soooo.....well then.....whats meaningful?Spit out the info!NOW!!

Educate us.......Tell us something we dont know.....something really really important and.....secret. :p

Damn impatience!

liolio said:
am I the only person here who thinks that if SONY have something more spectacular than cell they would told consumer.
Not saying that a modified gf7800 it bad.
But think twice, it's chrismass, XBOX seems to sell well in USA (don't know for Europe and Japon...lol ...) if they can do more than creating Hype about Cell (fairly impressive technologie ) and keep secret on RSX, i'm sure they would do.

GPU specs aren't going to have a great impact on the general market, unless it was going to tilt perception of being "more powerful" in Sony's favour. They already have that, though, that perception does not need to be tipped, so to speak.

That said, I think the way in which RSX was presented at E3 was a little interesting. To be honest, it seemed to me that while they knew what architecture it would be borne of and so forth, they weren't able to say for sure what exactly it would look like. I don't think it was a case of them hiding things, or keeping things secret, more than that they simply did not know themselves at E3 what exactly it'd look like in the end. The chip still had 4-6 months of work to go after E3, and they probably didn't know what kind of yields they'd get, what pipelines configurations would be possible etc., so instead they put out a more general discussion of G70 tech that was fairly light on specifics (or perhaps cautious where they did give specifics).

Whatever the RSX is revealed to be, it's finalized by now, right?

They can't still be designing it?

So the future tense on this thread title referring to development should really be the past tense?

I've been gone the past 24 hours, but isn't that patent drawing from the 'Visualizer' patent? Aka, the Cell-based GPU? I mean maybe it's not - it's been months/years since I've reviewed those things, but off the top of my head it seems in the vein.

Anyway if the modern RSX incarnation *does* have any resemblance to that, well, it'll clearly mean a massive departure from the standard G70 architecture. I'd still assume that that layout is *not* the case, and default to a much more traditional G70-derived core, though at this point I'm willing to entertain anything to some degree or another.

At least it seems some people finally have some firmer info on RSX, even if they refuse to talk. :p

titanio, if you are right, a spring ps3 release looks some how anticipated, no?
plus, at this time they should know.
and again, even if sony has win the PR power,battle in a lot of mind (don't care if it's true or not),(in fact it seems true but the edge is not just as big as a lot try to believe)
Why not squach MS before chrismass with big numbers and a major annoucement?

liolio said:
titanio, if you are right, a spring ps3 release looks some how anticipated, no?
plus, at this time they should know.

I'm sure they do know now.

liolio said:
Why not squach MS before chrismass with big numbers and a major annoucement?

Nothing Sony could do would change MS's numbers this christmas. There are enough people out there who are willing to buy a X360 absolutely regardless of what Sony says, to ensure X360 sells out (particularly given the supply situation).

leechan25 said:
I'm based this off of two facts:

Sony's GPU's patent - web.axelero.hu/varga1973/rsx.JPG

There are at least 4 processor units. Info on the G70 gives no info about any multiple programmable shading "processors". Just programmable shaders. Even if you googled (G70: multiple programmable shading processors) you get nothing.

My second reason because the cell design in regards to its SPE's. Why would Sony and Nvidia design a GPU that would become weight down by a CPU that sending it at least eight processors worth of instructions independently and simultaneously? How could the GPU handle that level of data without bottlenecks?

Then I read this for link of last summer :
"SPEs represent the first implementation of a new processor architecture designed to accelerate media and streaming workloads. Optimized for power efficiency and area, the SPEs are well suited for multicore implementations that can take advantage of parallelism."

You see its all about parallalism. SPE are designed to work with multicore (GPU) hardware or whatever used to achieve parallelism. Now here's my thinking on the matter, how would the G70 handle and CPU like cell without creating major problems with bottlenecks? I think this is what Carrmark and others were barking about.

However, if the SPE's are working with it own independent core or processor, I think you answer the problem with bottlenecks, streaming workloads, and independent simultaneous instruction management. I think this setup will allow the developers to get closer to computing throughput.

Here's another point as well:

IF Sony and Toshiba had done some GPU work why not leverage that tech. with Nvidia's offering.

If STI why not STN!

$0.02

If I were to put in my two cents, I would say it would be nice to see Sony putting in 4+ MB of eDRAM, used as some kind of texture cache or something. This would also help out in the backwards compatability department and put to use Sony's 65nm eDRAM process that seems to be going to waste now :cry:. They built new fabs with this capability in mind (for PS3) and now it's just destined to only be fully utilised when fabbing EE+GS and PSP? :???:

But KK already ruled out eDRAM so...

Back