What to expect from Adreno 225 & Krait

What's even more amusing about nVidia's "insight" into IMR vs TBDR is the fact that this wasn't the first generation where they conceded that TBDR worked okay for past workloads but wouldn't be competitive going forward.

Regardless of how many times nVidia put their foot in their mouths, though, the previously flat-footed semiconductor giants of the mobile market stood no chance of stopping them and their ambition to become so competitive so quickly. nVidia's own execution was their biggest obstacle. Now, they've really managed to raise the level of competition.

What's even more amusing about nVidia's "insight" into IMR vs TBDR is the fact that this wasn't the first generation where they conceded that TBDR worked okay for past workloads but wouldn't be competitive going forward.

Regardless of how many times nVidia put their foot in their mouths, though, the previously flat-footed semiconductor giants of the mobile market stood no chance of stopping them and their ambition to become so competitive so quickly. nVidia's own execution was their biggest obstacle. Now, they've really managed to raise the level of competition.

The 2nd paragraph isn't exactly fair since IMG is selling IP exclusively while NVIDIA develops and sells entire SoCs. IMG and NVIDIA aren't competing directly in the small form factor market. NVIDIA is competing against some of IMG's partners.

As for any alternative scenarios, think of it that way: if the PURE success continues scaling as years go by it could very well surpass the IP revenue of all other of IMG's departments. Not that I consider it all that likely, but I think you should get my drift when it comes to one of disadvantages of selling IP.

I was referring to Samsung, Marvell, TI, etc when I mentioned nVidia's semiconductor competition, and the roadmaps of those companies are now better for nVidia's quick pace.

IMG's designs are, if anything, pulling even farther ahead of nVidia's graphics and video.

I was referring to Samsung, Marvell, TI, etc when I mentioned nVidia's semiconductor competition, and the roadmaps of those companies are now better for nVidia's quick pace.

IMG's designs are, if anything, pulling even farther ahead of nVidia's graphics and video.

My thoughts entirely as stated the Tegra roadmap thread.

Back