What? Splinter Cell supports 1080p ?!?

They're saying now 1080P was enabled in the dashboard update and has nothing to do with the game SC. Gamepro just made that connection based on 1080P being listed on the SC box.

Gamepro is backtracking now too.

However, where people even aware 1080P was a new dashboard option after last night's Live shutdown? I wasn't.

Too be fair though, 1080P upscaling is going to be a big part of 1080P "support" on both PS3 and 360., so just that the 360 now has that option in practice is not trivial imo.

Personally I hate 1080P, period. I think it's downright dangerous. It's going to lessen our graphics and this gen cant handle it, and even next gen gen I'm not sure I want the tradeoff. Also if it forces native 1080P displays to become standard, then the choice will be either TV downscaling from 1080P>720P or poor(er) 1080P graphics, a loss either way.

Yes, for movies I'll agree that 1080P is clearly, inarguably superior. Because in the case of movies it doesn't affect anything else For games, no.

I guess the real problem is fixed pixel displays, though. That dont allow pain free resolution scaling.
Neat post.

"Unlucky in games, lucky in love"

Gamertag: Cyaneyes

Luke Smith, 1up editor, to further clarify or confuse after talking to Ubi:

"Game is 1080i.

Whoever said that it could probably upscale to 1080p with the dashboard update is probably right (Ubisoft didn't say anything beyond "Its 1080i,"). But retail Xbox 360s aren't outputting 1080p right now, anyway."

Sound like it might be some kind of debug unit only thing for now then.
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited by a moderator:
That's normal for VGA. They are using Component.

Like I said the 1080p update did not happen last night.

Debug units have apparently had 1080p for a little while now.

Luke Smith at 1up has followed up on this, and he says Ubisoft is saying to him that it's '1080i' without clarifying further.

It sounds like to me they're just quoting support for the highest output possible on the retail system, which technically is correct, but it doesn't really tell us much re. native res. So, ditto when Gamepro said "oh wow, look, we have 1080p output!", Ubi likely just likewise confirmed the game would output at that res.

The game has been getting 9s in the graphics department across the board. I don't think there are any major issues with vsync or framerate.

Pandora Tomorrow on Xbox got 9's in the graphics department across the board. It had some pretty major issues with vsync and framerate. And is the game even out yet?

Based on the information that the Xbox 360 has a game that supports 1080p, I am now willing to stand firm and say that 1080p gaming is a great feature. I no longer have any doubts about it's usefulness.

(Note for the humor-impaired: I'm making fun of myself. Note also that I doubt the game supports 1080p, since there was an interview on Major Nelson recently where the guy on the Xbox team said that no developers were informed of the 1080p enhancement, in order to keep it a secret.)

Pandora Tomorrow on Xbox got 9's in the graphics department across the board. It had some pretty major issues with vsync and framerate.
That goes for the orignal and Chaos Theory as well.

And you've got to love gaming sites making news stories out of nothing becase they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

On a side note, unlike Double Agent's upscaled '1080p support' on the 360, I'm currently replaying Chaos Theory with it actually rendered at 1440p on my HTPC. :p

Pandora Tomorrow on Xbox got 9's in the graphics department across the board. It had some pretty major issues with vsync and framerate. And is the game even out yet?

major issues??? have you even play this game on xbox?? and so far after watching IGN and gametrailers video reviews they say minor framerate issues.

major issues??? have you even play this game on xbox?? and so far after watching IGN and gametrailers video reviews they say minor framerate issues.

Yeah, which means the game has framerate drops and minor v synch issues.
I love GRAW, but it has a lot of bugs and v synch issues as well. Gears is announced as the first major gam with v synch 99% of the time. So the system can manage it.

Yeah, which means the game has framerate drops and minor v synch issues.
I love GRAW, but it has a lot of bugs and v synch issues as well. Gears is announced as the first major gam with v synch 99% of the time. So the system can manage it.

Kameo, DOA4, R6: Vegas, Fight Night, COD2/3, Dead Rising all have minor if any Vsync issues aswell. I'm sure there are more that I haven't played/seen.

Im dumb i guess but i thought HDMI was the only source of 1080 P lol But yah its coded at 720P so it would be upscaled upwards. which is cool and obv a thing to try to cool off everyone talkin bout 1080 P on PS3. good move by MS

Im dumb i guess but i thought HDMI was the only source of 1080 P lol But yah its coded at 720P so it would be upscaled upwards. which is cool and obv a thing to try to cool off everyone talkin bout 1080 P on PS3. good move by MS

Well, I think I've read something about using yuv for games and/or VGA for movies. For 1080p, you can use those 2 fellows as well as dvi and hdmi. The main issue is the new copyright protection system that will be implented in 2007-2008 and requires hdmi.

major issues??? have you even play this game on xbox??

Yes. Played it and beat it. I guess if you moved directly from N64 to Xbox, it didn't seem like it had framerate or tearing issues. And personally, I don't think any vsync issues are minor.

I think when talking about the res on certain mutiplatform games that will be released for Next Gen systems around the same time, people should wait until 1080p support is added to the Xbox 360 before passing judgement.

Back on topic: There is also the chance the 1080p dashboard update comes with the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back