What? Splinter Cell supports 1080p ?!?

Wait-wow, that's bizzare.

Wonder if it's UPSCALING to 1080P?

Honestly imo, SC's graphics are not so grand that native 1080 is out of the question.

I strongly suspect the former though.
________
AVANDIA LAWYER

Last edited by a moderator:
Typo ? what do you mean ?
Here is the first part of the news, there is also an alleged picture of the menu with the 1080p option which I don't know how to post. Why are they the only ones talking about that ?
Exclusive: Splinter Cell Brings 1080p to Xbox 360
Oct 18, 2006 @ 1:58pm

Summary:
GamePro can confirm that Ubisoft's next-gen stealth title Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent will support 1080 progressive scan display for the Xbox 360.

Full Text:
Our first clue was that the pre-release version released for the press contained an option for 1080p support, found under the system options in the console Dashboard.

We followed up with Ubisoft immediately. Would the retail version of Splinter Cell: Double Agent also support 1080p output on the retail Xbox 360?

Our answer was short and to the point: "Yes."

Whether 1080p support will be added on a game-by-game basis, or will be part of a larger, Microsoft-sponsored effort to make all Xbox 360 games 1080p compliant is a separate issue we'll try to sort out.

But while we do our digging, it's official -- 1080p support has hit the Xbox 360, and the first game to have the honor is Splinter Cell.

1080p support lands on the Xbox 360 thanks to Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Awesome :)

So the 360 gets 'true HD' before the competition.

God I love marketing when it's devious and backstabbing.

2nd part

Splinter Cell Brings 1080p to Xbox 360 (page 2 of 2)
Oct 18, 2006 @ 1:57pm

Summary:
More on Splinter Cell and 1080p support

Full Text:
Splinter Cell: Double Agent was released yesterday for the Xbox 360, Xbox, and PS2, but the Xbox 360 version will be the only one to support 1080p.

1080p support, short for "1080 progressive scan," is the latest and most advanced home theater display resolution available. Though employed by only high-end HD TVs, the resolution is slowly creeping into more and more mass market-grade HD TVs.

Sony is heavily betting on 1080p support, which was originally thought to be a PlayStation 3 exclusive feature. At this year's X06 conference, Microsoft confirmed that they would add 1080p support to the Xbox 360 via a software update.

Awesome :)

So the 360 gets 'true HD' before the competition.

God I love marketing when it's devious and backstabbing.

Yeah but it's marketing ! The bloody game has v synch and frame rate issues. I wish they would solve that prior to going for 1080p, which almost of no interest to everyone

Yeah but it's marketing ! The bloody game has v synch and frame rate issues. I wish they would solve that prior to going for 1080p, which almost of no interest to everyone

The game has been getting 9s in the graphics department across the board. I don't think there are any major issues with vsync or framerate.

Always suspect upscaling until proven otherwise.

Because the 360 is OUTPUTTING it at 1080P doesn't mean the game is rendering that.

Same goes for PS3 games (yes I know some are confirmed native 1080).

Either way, it's a bad deal. I'd sooner see better graphics than 1080P.

The only way it makes sense is if the game like SC or possibly Resistance is already basically done, and they discover scaling it to 1080P would be relatively painless anyway.
________
HoldYou

The game has been getting 9s in the graphics department across the board. I don't think there are any major issues with vsync or framerate.

Have a look at the video reviews and you'll witness v synch issues. I haven't seen framerates drops but they are mentionned in a lot of tests. Almost no one will take advatange of 1080p, but all buyers will have a bad v synch.

Even though I do not own a 1080P T.V. set I would like some clarification as to if Splinter Cell is simply being up scaled to 1080P or actually running at that resolution.

Always suspect upscaling until proven otherwise.

Because the 360 is OUTPUTTING it at 1080P doesn't mean the game is rendering that.

Same goes for PS3 games (yes I know some are confirmed native 1080).

Either way, it's a bad deal. I'd sooner see better graphics than 1080P.

The only way it makes sense is if the game like SC or possibly Resistance is already basically done, and they discover scaling it to 1080P would be relatively painless anyway.

Yeah but the game was delayed, remember the march launch ? Could 1080p be responsible for that (though I doubt it) ?
Anyway, the ps3 1080p does not turn me on, same thing with my 360. Cool thing they can do that, but with a smooth framerate comes v synch, and that's what i've been praying for on my 360.

Hmm..the option for 1080p is in the dashboard itself, not in any specific game. It sounds like GamePro just noticed it and is oddly attributing it to Splinter Cell. Asking Ubi-soft is hardly helpful here - what are they supposed to say to that question - no? Of course SC supports that 1080p option in the same way every 360 game will, but the presence of a dashboard option doesn't infer the game (or any game) is rendering at that resolution..it'll be there for every game and 'supported' by every game.

In other words, I'm not altogether certain GamePro isn't incorrectly mistaking a now universal dashboard option for specific rendering support in a specific game (in this case SC).

Will someone with the game kindly look on the back of the box?

Supposedly whatever resolutions are listed there are what the game natively supports.

They're saying now 1080P was enabled in the dashboard update and has nothing to do with the game SC. Gamepro just made that connection based on 1080P being listed on the SC box.

Gamepro is backtracking now too.

However, where people even aware 1080P was a new dashboard option after last night's Live shutdown? I wasn't.

Too be fair though, 1080P upscaling is going to be a big part of 1080P "support" on both PS3 and 360., so just that the 360 now has that option in practice is not trivial imo.

Personally I hate 1080P, period. I think it's downright dangerous. It's going to lessen our graphics and this gen cant handle it, and even next gen gen I'm not sure I want the tradeoff. Also if it forces native 1080P displays to become standard, then the choice will be either TV downscaling from 1080P>720P or poor(er) 1080P graphics, a loss either way.

Yes, for movies I'll agree that 1080P is clearly, inarguably superior. Because in the case of movies it doesn't affect anything else For games, no.

I guess the real problem is fixed pixel displays, though. That dont allow pain free resolution scaling.
________
Live Sex Webshows

They're saying now 1080P was enabled in the dashboard update and has nothing to do with the game SC. Gamepro just made that connection based on 1080P being listed on the SC box.

Gamepro is backtracking now too.

However, where people even aware 1080P was a new dashboard option after last night's Live shutdown? I wasn't.

Gamepro is just saying they don't know.

And no 1080p was not added during last nights Live update.

I just checked my 360, my resolution choices menu looks different than Gamepro's, I'm assuming because I have the VGA cable instead of component.

Rather than a few choices of simple 1080P, 720P, I'm given a choice of about 7-8 various resolutions grading up too 1360X768, that's it.
________
Marielle live

I just checked my 360, my resolution choices menu looks different than Gamepro's, I'm assuming because I have the VGA cable instead of component.

Rather than a few choices of simple 1080P, 720P, I'm given a choice of about 7-8 various resolutions grading up too 1360X768, that's it.

That's normal for VGA. They are using Component.

Like I said the 1080p update did not happen last night.

Have a look at the video reviews and you'll witness v synch issues. I haven't seen framerates drops but they are mentionned in a lot of tests. Almost no one will take advatange of 1080p, but all buyers will have a bad v synch.
720p is great, I prefer it any day over something like 1080p and consequently increased framerate drops proliferation, non-inventive combination of graphical effects Xenos is capable to do thus limiting its potential and magnificient features, complicating matters, numeric and graphical calculations.., etc.

I am skeptical but also realistic enough to understand that 1080p is becoming a noisy buzzword, therefore repulsive. I don't give a damn for it.

Let sonyers have fun with 1080p crappy arcadish games, through lack of something better.

"Unlucky in games, lucky in love"

Gamertag: Cyaneyes

Back