What processor to get? $150

Do you have to upgrade RIGHT NOW? Haswell update chips are pretty much knocking on the door, and broadwell will be out later in the year. Then next year we'll see CPUs supporting DDR4, and in 6 years DDR3 will be very hard and expensive to get hold of.

Here is your pricing list, you can choose from it whatever fits your needs*:

*disclaimer: higher price means higher performance

8x8v4j.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/199861/intel-starts-shipping-haswell-refresh-processors.html

It would be best to spend a little more and get something like an i5-4570. Maybe you can find one on ebay for cheap? I found a brand new i5-3450S on ebay for under $100 a year ago.

If your budget is truly set in stone, the i3-4340 or 4330 would be okay.

6 years? what the f...
You are going to need at least a 4670 if you want it to last that long; I recommend a 4670K from microcenter for $180 and overclocking it to 4.3-4.6Ghz(buy a better cooler).
They also do good CPU+MB bundles if you don't have a 1150 Motherboard already, you NEED a Z87 motherboard if you want to overclock the 4670K.

Last edited by a moderator:
I myself would not want to be without hyperthreading, but of course, that step up in performance also ends up costing more money.

If I couldn't afford it, I'd wait longer and save up until I could.

If you want 8 threads, the Xeon E3-1230V3 is the best choice. High clocks and Hyperthreading for $250.
IMHO 4 cores 4 threads is fine, hence the i5-4570 recommendation.

Dunno why UniversalTruth is recommending against used CPUs. CPUs are incredibly reliable.

I have 8+ year old CPUs that I overclocked the hell out of and they all work well to this day, AMD and Intel.

Perhaps it would be easier to find a used i5-3XXX series CPU. That would still kick ass and I bet you can find one for not much more than $100.

against your anecdote I have the opposite experience:
- a extremely slightly overvolted (+0.1 vcore) coppermine (700E) that ran at 933 MHz for about 5 years before it started to blue-screen
- reports from colleagues that ran overvolted northwoods that died prematurely

I wouldn't buy a second hand CPU unless it was never overclocked and overvolted. Not worth the hassle in case the cpu breaks down without warranty.

I also have much anecdotal experience with overclocked CPUs that ran 24/7 for years and still work fine to this day.

In any case you can find never used CPUs on ebay for cheap if you look. That's what I did. It was a Microcenter employee who bought up parts for super cheap and sold them online.

Personally I would spend $200 and get a good Haswell i5. If you can do $150, $200 shouldn't be much of a stretch considering how long a modern i5 will last you (years and years).

New i5-4670 for $185 (sold just now)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-...ail-/310932554503?pt=CPUs&hash=item4865064307

Used i5-2500K $150 not overclocked
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Intel-I5-2500K-Processor-/261457342013?pt=CPUs&hash=item3ce0126e3d

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta live near one though and most people don't. If you do then definitely take advantage of it.

Back