What music are you listening to right now?

Gave my mom the latest Nightwish longplayer for her birthday, and thanks to amazon's mp3 downloads I gave it a shot as well. Their last two albums didn't sit particularly well with me. I don't mind metal with an extra large serving of cheese from time to time, but the last album in particular was basically a film soundtrack without the film. The film eventually did materialize, but the less said about it the better.

Anyways, I really like the new album in all its sugary pop-metal glory. Floor Jansen of After Forever is a great choice for the new front lady too. Hopefully they'll stick with her. Really digging the theme of the album too. Appreciation of life, and of our planet, and ourselves existing on it. Except it's not from an insufferably preachy politicised point of view, but from a very scientific and philosophical one.
As far as I'm concerned, If the band is on, it's still more than capable of mopping the floor with all the countless copycats it has inspired over the last 2 decades.

Gave my mom the latest Nightwish longplayer for her birthday, and thanks to amazon's mp3 downloads I gave it a shot as well. Their last two albums didn't sit particularly well with me. I don't mind metal with an extra large serving of cheese from time to time, but the last album in particular was basically a film soundtrack without the film. The film eventually did materialize, but the less said about it the better.

Anyways, I really like the new album in all its sugary pop-metal glory. Floor Jansen of After Forever is a great choice for the new front lady too. Hopefully they'll stick with her. Really digging the theme of the album too. Appreciation of life, and of our planet, and ourselves existing on it. Except it's not from an insufferably preachy politicised point of view, but from a very scientific and philosophical one.
As far as I'm concerned, If the band is on, it's still more than capable of mopping the floor with all the countless copycats it has inspired over the last 2 decades.

While Floor does great on the new album, I can't really agree on overall on her. Live singing older songs she's.. "not quite Tarja, not quite Anette, and it makes everything worse" or something along those lines. I personally prefer Anette, even though she couldn't do many of Tarja's songs properly, the ones she did she did better than Floor has ever done Anette-songs.

This is coming from Nightwish-fan since before their first album

I haven't heard them live in ages, but Tarja was plenty capable of fucking up too. I've been to one of their shows when they toured for "Once", and it was rather sobering to be honest. I guess dry ice clouds and pyrotechnics aren't the greatest match for the delicate vocal chords of a soprano songstress. That said, I don't really think a band so reliant on full blown orchestrations makes for the best live shows to begin with. When half the music inevitably comes from a tape, I don't really see the point. For me, this type of band lends itself far better to a concentrated listening session with a bunch of quality headphones.

Anyways, I have no clue how Floor does on the older songs, but I really dig her on endless forms most beautiful. She has range and she has plenty of power. I'm also glad the band has severly cut back on the Marco mic shenanigans.

Last edited:
I haven't heard them live in ages, but Tarja was plenty capable of fucking up too. I've been to one of their shows when they toured for "Once", and it was rather sobering to be honest. I guess dry ice clouds and pyrotechnics aren't the greatest match for the delicate vocal chords of a soprano songstress. That said, I don't really think a band so reliant on full blown orchestrations makes for the best live shows to begin with. When half the music inevitably comes from a tape, I don't really see the point. For me, this type of band lends itself far better to a concentrated listening session with a bunch of quality headphones.

Anyways, I have no clue how Floor does on the older songs, but I really dig her on endless forms most beautiful. She has range and she has plenty of power. I'm also glad the band has severly cut back on the Marco mic shenanigans.
They've actually cut quite a bit of tapes out and replaced them with flutes by Troy (though obviously there's still tapes left they need)
Anyway, it's hard to find proper comparisons, there doesn't seem to be that many official live performances from Anette & Imaginaerum -era for example, closest match I could find would be

but the first, featuring Anette obviously has sound from the camcorder or some such used for recording, while the latter featuring Floor has sound straight from the mixing table (being official Wacken video and all)

Funny thing is, I actually think Anette has pulled off the best Ghost Love Score ever despite the fact that she never should have been able to do it. Too bad there's no mixing-table record of it, but she just has some "innocence" in her voice both Tarja and Floor are missing

To each his own I guess. I'm just not really looking for innocence in the voice of a powermetal vocalist. In terms of range and power, both Floor and Tarja have poor Britney Olsen beat, and quite handily so. I always prefered Tarja singing in her more naturalistic and slightly lower registers as well, so Floor's more rocking voice suits me just fine.

To each his own I guess. I'm just not really looking for innocence in the voice of a powermetal vocalist. In terms of range and power, both Floor and Tarja have poor Britney Olsen beat, and quite handily so. I always prefered Tarja singing in her more naturalistic and slightly lower registers as well, so Floor's more rocking voice suits me just fine.
I also wouldn't be calling Nightwish powermetal :p (yes, they had couple albums in the between that clearly were, but it's evolved a long way from those days)

Another one just for @tabs and I (if there are any other closet drum and bass fans on Beyond3D, hi!):

Oh thanks Rys. I came to this thread to post a DnB track earlier but the metal was out in full force and I didn't want to be the c-c-c-combo breaker. To be honest that's a bit too much wub wub for my tastes, though I do like the jankyness of the flow in places. I would have loved it in a club a couple of decades ago. :) Probably would've hit my head on the ceiling.

Again with the old tunes, I've been chilling out to this on repeat for the last couple of days. Transports me to a vast African savannah:

This is described as "atmospheric black metal" but I can't find the black metal part in it anywhere. It's mostly ambient'ish synth something. First song brings to mind some video game but can't put my finger on which.

The production is appropriately cavernous, but that's just about it for Black Metal similarities. It's like someone discovered the unreleased 30-minutes version of the intro to Cradle of Filth's "Dusk… and Her Embrace" album.

I had this mixtape in the mid 90's and it was the holy grail of jungle for me for a few years:

This is described as "atmospheric black metal" but I can't find the black metal part in it anywhere. It's mostly ambient'ish synth something. First song brings to mind some video game but can't put my finger on which.

You might like Oranssi Pazuzu

Back